bikerxxl

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Germany
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Good Morning, I am a Motorhome owner from Germany and first of all, I like to introduce myself . My name is Eberhard and I live in a small town north of Hamburg. I intend to make a trip trough the UK, incl. the far north of scotland in July/August this year::bigsmile:. I received from the German Motorclub some proposals for a few campgrounds but there was no suggestions for Motorhome parking spaces. I like to use a CG only every third or fourth night. All other nights on Parking spaces etc.
I found the Motorhome Parking Page in this forum very useful but I try to find something similar in a roadmap. That would be much easyer for my to plan my route.
Can someboby help me with some suggestions?
(If possible, as an app. for a tablet computer)
Thank you for many informations.
Eberhard

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Welcome to the best motorhome club ever.

The UK is not the most friendly place for motorhomes which is why many of us cross the channel to France, Germany and beyond where the facilities and welcome is wonderful.

You will find lots of useful information on here and plenty of posts to help with your trip. :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi. And welcome to fun Eberhard

If you are planning on touring Scotland you will not have any problem if your sensible, our friends from Sloviena visited us two years ago and never used a campsite in the 3 weeks they where here.

If you are sensible you will find somewhere to stay no problem, you can also try a few pubs they will normally let you stop over for free if you have a meal or a beer which I'm sure you would enjoy.

I live in the south west of Scotland so of you require any help please feel free to ask on forum or send a pm I will do what I can to help.

Gerry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
there was no suggestions for Motorhome parking spaces.
Eberhard

We spent a long time in Germany last year, why, because you make camping so easy and enjoyable.

Here we do not have Stellplatz and we don't have enough campsites, especially in the school holiday period when you arrive.

Scotland is more relaxed with what we call "wild camping".

So basically plan your journey very carefully if you want it to run smoothly, or just come and struggle on our small island.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
hi and welcome, as has already been mentioned the uk is not the best for offsite camping/parking up, but you can usually get away with it if you arrive late ,leave early. [basically before anyone notices you ! ] there is a site dedicated to wildcamping [for motorhomes] and does give lists of parking spots and pubs etc that allow parking overnight . i think you will find that when touring scotland, once you get away from the parking restrictions of the tourist attractions you will have no trouble finding a place to park up for the night. regards garry.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi and welcome Scotland is wonderful for scenery and hospitality but bad for midges in the summer, so be aware.

when the midges have eaten you :RollEyes: pop over to Wales :thumb:

OP
OP
B

bikerxxl

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Germany
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
"bad for midges":Eeek:. Any recommendation for a good mosquitorepellent?
Regards Eberhard

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum Eberhart. To compare a Scottish midge to a mosquito is like comparing a shark to a goldfish:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. They are more prevalent on the West coast. For insect repellent, take the wife(my wife that is), hee hee or use "Avon" o so soft. We always wild park when away, and on the trip towards Scotland there are many setback laybyes that you can use, just start looking when it is time to park up. We have never failed to find somewhere within half an hour of deciding to stop. Scotland is more like Europe in terms of wild parking attitude. Have a great trip and if you visit the west country why not pop in and say hi even if not stopping.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
"bad for midges":Eeek:. Any recommendation for a good mosquitorepellent?
Regards Eberhard

Napalm flame-throwers will stun them, but use with care.

If using a shotgun better to use large shot.

Someone once claimed to have downed a Scottish midge with a baseball bat but no photographic evidence was produced. A cricket bat is no good because you will hit more then one midge at a time and that is fatal, they will pull the bat out of your hands and throw it at you.

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
"[HI]bad for midges":Eeek:. Any recommendation for a good mosquitorepellent?[/HI]Regards Eberhard

Hi & welcome.

My experience tells me that most so called repellants are in fact more effective as attractants!
Fortitude & mosquito or midge nets are effective. Avoid camping to close to or under trees as the midges congregate in those areas
It is only the females that bite.

Just like humans really.:winky:

Seriously, you will surely enjoy your time in Scotland. We meet many German tourists whenever we go North. The scenery is spectacular, but beware it is very easy to find that you are covering many more kilometres than you anticipate. We always say that Scottish miles are miles longer than English miles!:Sad:
Use this trip as an exploratory one, and come again in May/June, before the dratted female midges arise from their winter solace.
As has already been said, so called "wild camping" in Scotland is much more acceptable than in England or Wales. Particularly the further North or West you travel.
We have also found that many small land owners or farmers are quite amenable to allowing you to overnight on their land, as long as you ask first. Never yet have any that we have sought permission from, refused or sought payment.
There is a legal understanding in Scotland, known as Open Access. Basically means that you have freedom to wander, camp, have camp fires etc., as long as you avoid crops and property. The understanding is that this law re camping refers to canvas (tent) only. "Tin tents" and "wheeled tents" are not meant to be included. In practice you will find great tolerance as long as you act responsively. Leave nothing but foot and tyre prints - take nothing other than photographs and wonderful memories of a super region.

Last edited:

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Napalm flame-throwers will stun them, but use with care.

If using a shotgun better to use large shot.

Someone once claimed to have downed a Scottish midge with a baseball bat but no photographic evidence was produced. A cricket bat is no good because you will hit more then one midge at a time and that is fatal, they will pull the bat out of your hands and throw it at you.

It is said that you should never kill a Scottish midge, as 10,000 others will come to its funeral::bigsmile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
why can nobody ever get this correct.....

It is NOT Avon 'oh so soft' or 'o so soft'...it IS Avon [HI]'skin so soft'[/HI]

The best formula is in a blueish green bottle

Not generally available in the shops but Amazon and eBay are a good source.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
why can nobody ever get this correct.....

It is NOT Avon 'oh so soft' or 'o so soft'...it IS Avon [HI]'skin so soft'[/HI]

The best formula is in a blueish green bottle

Not generally available in the shops but Amazon and eBay are a good source.

well at least my link was correct:Doh:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Another effective anti midge product is "Smidge", For the interior of your van get a number of citronella impregnated "Tea lights" (small candles), we back this up with a "plug in" vaporiser anti mosquito repellent (vapourises small tablets).

When applying the "Avon o so soft" (used by the Royal Marines"Special forces") or "Smidge" be sure to apply lots of product onto ALL EXPOSED AREAS. Do not forget behind ears, ankles, wrists etc.

Midges are undoubtedly a menace particularly as the sun goes down, warm sunshine after a shower of rain.

However do not let all this doom and gloom put you off.

Scotland will reward you in so many ways. It is less densely populated and it is has laws to enable you to sensibly park up and enjoy the countryside which is beautiful. Stop and ask someone, we are the most welcoming people in the world.
The main population centres are well worth a visit too. Particularly Edinburgh and Glasgow, where there are many historic buildings and cultural centres, museums and art galleries, but they are like most cities, busy and difficult to negotiate, even for locals. Try local transport to get you into these Centres.

Welcome to this site and we hope to welcome you to Gods own Country, Scotland.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back