New Malware attack aimed at Windows users this time. (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Another good reason to ensure that all one's data files are regularly backed up to offline storage media so that, if the worst comes to pass, the affected PC can be reset and the data restored.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Another good reason to ensure that all one's data files are regularly backed up to offline storage media so that, if the worst comes to pass, the affected PC can be reset and the data restored.
GJH, great advice. Might help if someone explained offline storage media. A client got hit by this and he kept backups. However he plugged in an external hard drive to do the backups and this was encrypted as well. Luckily I did a server back up for him without mounting a drive on his system. I am rushed off me feet at the moment prepping for MOT and my move from this lovely spot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
GJH, great advice. Might help if someone explained offline storage media. A client got hit by this and he kept backups. However he plugged in an external hard drive to do the backups and this was encrypted as well. Luckily I did a server back up for him without mounting a drive on his system. I am rushed off me feet at the moment prepping for MOT and my move from this lovely spot.
For most people at home offline storage will include external hard drives, thumb drives or even DVDs still rather than a totally disconnected storage system.

Nothing wrong with that so long as one ensures that the main system isn't infected before plugging it in :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My bro in law is a "radiophine" (dont laugh) He's got a mountain of stored radio programs and music..
Guess what.. Didnt back up enough and got hit by one of these 2 weeks ago.. Cant find any way around it..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back