New Kontiki To Spend The Summer In (1 Viewer)

James Hearn

Free Member
Jun 16, 2015
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 1989
Exp
just started
Hello all.
I have purchased myself an old 1989 Fiat Swift Kontiki - petrol, 6 berth.
The plan is to basically live in it with my wife and daughter for the next few months. BUT, we've never owned one before and therefore, need to learn fast.

So any help and tips would be fantastic.

My initial plans are to sort the sloppy gears, add power steering and convert it to lpg. The inside we'll update ourselves. Anything mechanical I tend to avoid.

So, any help with recommendations for servicers, parts etc. for MH's this old around the Yorkshire area would be great!

Hope everyone is well and look forward to connecting with you all.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
would of been cheaper to buy a newer van than add power steering and convert to lpg

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello
check-in-minion.jpg

To get answers to your specific questions I would start a new thread in the Motorhome Chat forum, more people will probably look at it. To get the most out of MHF you need to subscribe and pay your £10, it'll be the best tenner you've spent for a while!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

James Hearn

Free Member
Jun 16, 2015
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 1989
Exp
just started
OK great, thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I didn't know there was a paid service!
But I do as you advise.
Thanks again.

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
:hi:Hi and :welc:you couldn't have joined a better club to give you plenty of information and tips,:clap2: there' s plenty of willing members just waiting to help if they can (y) Good luck and hope you get everything sorted. Mew & Mick

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! I would suggest getting it checked for damp if this hasn't been done and I'm not convinced about the LPG conversion. How many miles do you expect to do and will any savings over that distance recover the cost of conversion?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yep! I agree with DBK.

Checkover what you already have before splashing the cash. Older motorhomes can be real money pits.

You need to cost out every improvement against the market value and the potential savings of that improvement.

I would doubt very much that an LPG conversion is worthwhile on a Brit motorhome. It would be more worthwhile on a large Yank RV, but you need to get some miles in to make it worthwhile on the Swift. Plus it stops you using the Chunnel.

Reactions: DBK

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Hi & welcome, you'll find lots of info re the sloppy gear change at the Talbotoc (Talbot owners club).
UK vans of that era were badged as talbots but we're fiat ducato's.
Also No.1 Gear is another place you'll find bits(y).
Got no info about the swift bit other than make sure it's not a "Konleaky".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back