Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Well I know lots of you will know Sandra and I are constantly squabbling and having a go at each other...
But have to take my hat off here..
She has had Alan teaching her a little about electrics... and is getting more involved ... well done that girl @irnbru ... it's good to see..
IMG-20161120-WA0009.jpg

She could look a bit happier mind..:LOL:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If I could get my head round it i might. Alan has gone, he's probably fed up , hence how your phone messages are now going ping, ping.

Ive progressed a little,Ive got a few car bulbs and some led strip lighting. I want to join to make..I think 15 amps or so, and replaced the drill battery with a leisure battery and got some nice spade rip off priced connectors from Maplins. :) I know a little knowledge is dangerous but didn't everyone start somewhere. :) Anyway stop bloody showing me up and reply to pms instead. :rofl::rofl:
IMG_1137.JPG

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
First things first...
If you want a 15A load don't bother with LED strip lights
Secondly ...I didn't know you were into weight lifting...
Leave that leisure battery on the floor and get some longer wires..
:LOL::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Cmon women back me up here. Who else is a gutsy woman to try things... erm @movan I can never reach your guts and wild camp alone..even with a half deaf dog :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I AM trying Sandra. Trying to fix my 12v and 3 prong sockets at the moment ... :)

I might wild camp but you jumped into a relationship and it worked ..:) I've been put off for life. ;) . You is strong woman.

When you have finished learning about electrics .. I suspect @andy63 might be wired up like Frankenstein on your dining table. Xx

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I think you should explain to her how to plug in the soldering iron and perhaps put the battery back on the drill? :D

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I AM trying Sandra. Trying to fix my 12v and 3 prong sockets at the moment ... :)

I might wild camp but you into a relationship and it worked ..:) I've been put off for life. ;) . You is strong woman.

When you have finished learning about electrics .. I suspect @andy63 might be wired up like Frankenstein on your dining table. Xx
Nah Alan will tell you I far from Jumped but yes its a good relationship ( can I ignore @Jim in this reply..dont want dating fees :LOL:) You are gutsy no1 :)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
There's a very good reason why 90% of electricians are male;)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
@irnbru good on you for trying to do whatever it is you are trying to do. Can I just check is it something to do with the Christmas tree behind you in the first photo?

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Well I know lots of you will know Sandra and I are constantly squabbling and having a go at each other...
But have to take my hat off here..
She has had Alan teaching her a little about electrics... and is getting more involved ... well done that girl @irnbru ... it's good to see..
View attachment 134255

She could look a bit happier mind..:LOL:
Nothing like a tidy work place (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Strikes me its a bit old fashioned to have a thread where its seen as strange for a woman to be doing the electrics we are in 2016 not the 1960's. Now don't think I'm totally PC on this I think there's nothing worse than quotas on gender splits in industry where there is a bias in favour of women (or men) despite their aptitude or lack of it for a particular job but it seems a bit odd to think nowadays that its something unusual to have a woman doing the electrics especially as its a job where there is not a lot of physical strength involved. By the way my daughter is doing nuclear science and engineering at uni and is a keen rugby player!!!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@irnbru good on you for trying to do whatever it is you are trying to do. Can I just check is it something to do with the Christmas tree behind you in the first photo?
No, I just brought the wee tree down from loft.

I was watching Alan soldering a wire and wiring a monitor in MH and would love to be able to do these things for myself.

No matter how much I get explained to me I just havent grasped electrics so I'm trying to learn by playing around with stuff. Alan has also left me a chinese battery monitor to play with so I want to calibrate it using 12v bulbs etc.

@The Wino its strange for ME to be playing with electrics as @andy63 knows I usually get him or Alan to do my electrics I need doing. :)
Would risk playing around with them in MH though til I get a better understanding of them.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Good on you Sandra - once you've mastered what ever it is you are up to perhaps you could teach us other females. Mind you, you will have to write everything down or use hand signals as you know that Joy @movan can't understand a word you say!!! Lol

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No, I just brought the wee tree down from loft.

I was watching Alan soldering a wire and wiring a monitor in MH and would love to be able to do these things for myself.

No matter how much I get explained to me I just havent grasped electrics so I'm trying to learn by playing around with stuff. Alan has also left me a chinese battery monitor to play with so I want to calibrate it using 12v bulbs etc.

@The Wino its strange for ME to be playing with electrics as @andy63 knows I usually get him or Alan to do my electrics I need doing. :)
Would risk playing around with them in MH though til I get a better understanding of them.
Go for it .

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Didn't think it was about a woman doing electrics, more about somebody who doesn't 'do' electrics learning to do them. Don't think elecronics and the tinkering with thereof is a male or female preserve

irnbru when you're a bit more comfortable you could get a raspberry pi and or arduino, great fun for building little circuits and making them do stuff with a computer interface

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
irnbru when you're a bit more comfortable you could get a raspberry pi and or arduino, great fun for building little circuits and making them do stuff with a computer interface

No idea what these are. Only know a pie you eat:LOL:

Maybe if you explain I can refer to it next year when im a bit further on. I do happen to have a lot of old circuit boards.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Raspberry pi is a tiny computer that lends itself well to managing interfaces without risking your decent computer. I have one running all manner of monitoring and response systems - mostly for fun, has been genuinely useful for eg watching how the fridge temperature changes when power is cut so can figure how long it'll stay cool for without power. Amazon product ASIN B00HU0G9TO
Arduino is an open source electronics prototyping system. Great fun to tinker with.

A piece of wood and pile of components and wires probably the best place to start, the raspberry pi and arduino are just the modern way to do that.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@jnn - didn't mean to imply that electronics is gender specific, it's just the way things are explained - what makes sense to blokes doesn't always translate into female logic!!!! Lol

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
what makes sense to blokes doesn't always translate into female logic!!!! Lol
LOL.. I'm pleased you said that and not me carol. .

And now back to the bru. . Who has turned her hand to a bit of soldering... which can be easy enough if you've practiced but not the easiest skill to develop by messaging :LOL:
After 1 hr 10 min here's the first attempt... nice one..

IMG-20161121-WA0008.jpg

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would suggest the wires and wood/meter /battery etc the Pi is more a computing thing I think you were more interested it the fixing things bit!!

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Strikes me its a bit old fashioned to have a thread where its seen as strange for a woman to be doing the electrics we are in 2016 not the 1960's. Now don't think I'm totally PC on this I think there's nothing worse than quotas on gender splits in industry where there is a bias in favour of women (or men) despite their aptitude or lack of it for a particular job but it seems a bit odd to think nowadays that its something unusual to have a woman doing the electrics especially as its a job where there is not a lot of physical strength involved. By the way my daughter is doing nuclear science and engineering at uni and is a keen rugby player!!!
Have to ask, was she interested in rugby before she started messing around with nuclear stuff; look what happened to David Banner ;)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yep she was lucky a teacher at school introduced the girls to rugby thinking they might like a go and quite a few were dead keen turned from lets just try touch to full contact and I don't think she's been irradiated yet!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
LOL.. I'm pleased you said that and not me carol. .

And now back to the bru. . Who has turned her hand to a bit of soldering... which can be easy enough if you've practiced but not the easiest skill to develop by messaging :LOL:
After 1 hr 10 min here's the first attempt... nice one..

View attachment 134323
just remember the first thing is to get it really clean before soldering took me a while to realise no-one ever showed me how.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
second that, I'm appaling at soldering, far too cack handed, it ends up functional but not pretty.

Agree with wino about wires n stuff first but the pi/arduino one to bear in mind once you're comfortable tinkering - my van has its own raspberry pi, just because it can really. hoping the hounds will do some of my to do list whislt i drive!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Raspberry pi is a tiny computer that lends itself well to managing interfaces without risking your decent computer. I have one running all manner of monitoring and response systems - mostly for fun, has been genuinely useful for eg watching how the fridge temperature changes when power is cut so can figure how long it'll stay cool for without power. Amazon product ASIN B00HU0G9TO
Arduino is an open source electronics prototyping system. Great fun to tinker with.

A piece of wood and pile of components and wires probably the best place to start, the raspberry pi and arduino are just the modern way to do that.

I like that kit of bits for the Pi, a regular Meccano set #10. :)

And for the youngsters who don't get the reference: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/meccano-set-10

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sandra, I have put the flyers through the doors here .... 10% commission required on all the rewiring orders I get for you ... Can't wait. :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yep she was lucky a teacher at school introduced the girls to rugby thinking they might like a go and quite a few were dead keen turned from lets just try touch to full contact and I don't think she's been irradiated yet!

I played rugby at school as well - that was in the 1970s. For some reason the male teams refused to play the "ladies" teams.

Electrics...... my Grandmother wired her own house when mains electric was installed. She never did learn how to cook properly though.

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Sandra, I have put the flyers through the doors here .... 10% commission required on all the rewiring orders I get for you ... Can't wait. :)
And the lights go out all over Britain :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back