new fulltimer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by gillamina, Jan 16, 2013.

1. gillamina

gillamina Read Only Funster

Hiya all - making the big step to full time in my self build conversion, and feeling the terror at giving up all home comforts, my stuff!, and trying to sort insurance out. Hoping to get some help from enthusiastic folks who've already been down these paths as one of the things I hate most is trying to sort out insurance! (my search is not pure joy so far)

My van is a LWB VW LT 35 - which my boyfriend and I have converted with the help of some professionals and some friends. We love it, it's amazing to have achieved this! Gill :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi.. and welcome Gill

we lived in our motorhome for three years.. a family of four, there are quite a number of fulltimers on here with lots of experience and advice.. just ask.

the most challenging part is keeping or having a 'home' address.. this could be a family member or a friend.. you must have this for insurance purposes, driving licence and your vehicle V5 ..

If living 365 in your van you will require 'fulltime' insurance.. the only company I know who offer this cover is Comfort Insurance .. and it's not cheap ...Some may argue that this isn't required.. but failure to declare that you are 'living' in the van full time will void a normal motorhome insurance policy .. in effect you would not be insured.

we also have a sister site that is dedicated to this life style where these and many other questions have been discussed.. it is free to join .. good luck

http://www.motorhome365.com/forum/

• Like Like x 1
  3. gillamina

gillamina Read Only Funster

hi and thanks for the advice :Smile:

yes am keen to be fully insured so will contact Comfort. I have had previous experiences of break ins when living short term in my old van, so would prefer to pay and make sure all ok and above board! do you know if they do European cover? we are planning to take in a few choice destinations including france, switzerland, austria and norway - my boyfriend likes the cold hahaha. thankfully we can use my parents address as our UK address, and storage space for all the stuff we have that won't fit in the van.

will check out the link you posted. Gill

Edited to add: just been an done online quote with Comfort - absolutely quick, easy and appropriate! great advice, will sleep much easier tonight. thanks.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  4. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

:welcomefunster:

5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have been fulltiming now for just under 4 years and still loving it (Even in the bad weather)..

Welcome to the (fulltiming) club and hope you enjoy it as much as I do:thumb:

6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I always wonder when I hear about somebody selling up and going full time, what do you do when the van breaks down or worse gets stolen or badly damaged in an accident? As the op is converting a vw lt 35, what on earth would you do if the engine needs rebuilding taking several days in the garage. its a common complaint that the engines pack up in these vans. dont see so many being driven by fleet operators these days for a few reliability reasons

dont want to pour cold water on your dreams, just being practical

• Like Like x 1
  7. maz

maz Funster

Hi and welcome from another fulltimer. :welcome:

8. beerdrinker1

beerdrinker1 Funster

Good and important point BIG UN, often wondered about this and other " practical " points,

Will be interesting to see posts on this subject,

:thumb: :drink:

9. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

You do something else :Smile:

Stay in the yard of the garage.
    Stay with family.
    Stay with friends.
    Rent a house.
    Book a hotel.
    Buy a tent.

Every problem has a solution.

• Like Like x 4
  10. maz

maz Funster

Well said. Exactly the attitude you need to be a free-wheelin' fulltimer! :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gromett

Gromett Funster

The same thing that you would do in your brick house if it burnt down or flooded.

My Gearbox needs replacing. I am buying a full replacement and have found a garage that can do it in one day for me. I will then recondition the old gearbox and flog that on to recover some of the cost. If it should have any problems I will book myself into a B&B for one night.

If it gets stolen I bet I can get the insurance sorted out and a replacement bought far quicker than you can get your house rebuilt after a fire? If I get involved in an accident then it will be an expensive B&B while I get it repaired. Or I will buy a cheap caravan as temporary accommodation.

As a fulltimer I am a lot more security aware as it is my home as well as my vehicle. Deadlocks are fitted on all doors. I have GPS tracking on it. And it looks like a pile of crap so unlikely to be nicked :Rofl1:.

As for accidents, I am an extremely defensive driver now. I also don't drive it when weather conditions are not optimal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Be careful sat there in your immovable bricks and mortar house..

Cold water might come in handy for all the thousands of house fires that make people homeless each year. And it's been a record decade for cold water floods chasing people out of their homes.

Losing a van for a while is just the same, though a lot less hassle. Most full timers have contingency plans for such problems and are so easily resolved it's hardly worth worrying about.

13. maz

maz Funster

So, low mileage as well then - you are an insurer's dream. :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Does seem that way last year. Hoping for better weather this year so I can whack some miles on the new gearbox:thumb:

15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i agree to some extent re bricks and mortar houses and floods or fires etc, but home insurance tends to include emergency accomodation cover, van insurance does not.

as for driving carefully or defensively, that does not account for other drivers, especially uninsured ones who are on the increase these days.

not everyone going fulltime has made a plan or got a contingency fund

16. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

That'll be us then :BigGrin:

If the van catches fire this afternoon and we lose everything we own and we are left standing in the forest with four young children and only the £20 in my wallet...

we'll just do something else :Smile:

It's an attitudinal thing, I think.

• Like Like x 6
  17. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Yup me too. I will lose everything also. I will figure something out. You can pick up an old caravan for a couple of hundred quid. Not brilliant but it's a roof over your head:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I often thought about this while full time.. and what would we do.. Anything could happen, an accident, fire or theft.. and the lot is gone..

This could be in the middle of nowhere .. the insurer would pay out for the loss of goods and chattels .. the 'dream' would be shattered.. but we would have survived..

So while it is a serious consideration, it shouldn't stop anyone from giving it a try.. hence the reason having 'proper' full time insurance and an exit plan..

Some of course just 'do it' on a wing and a prayer... and good luck.. life is for doing.. not worrying all the time..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  19. JJ

JJ Funster

I have been living in my van (of the day) for over twenty years.

At one stage every single thing I had in the world was in my elderly, Iveco 60-10.

The main bearings gave out just outside Salamanca (Spain).

I was well and truly stuck.

This turned out to be one of my very best experiences in my life on the road.

It was a nightmare that was soon over.

After that nothing worries me about my choice to live in a van.

JJ :Cool:

PS. My "exit plan" is to go to the huge, Fray Bentos Pie Shop in the sky where the Steak and Ale pies are free and all Man City matches are shown on the giant screen (powered by a Kipor genny) and no one is going on about how many miles to the gallon they get out of their motorhome.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 7
  20. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

Completely off line

Been trying to work out just what your avatar is JJ bar for 2 pairs off wellies I'm flummoxed!