Free Member
Sep 19, 2010
S.W. France.
Funster No
MH
not sure, RV?
Exp
since 20.3.2010
hi everyone, wow, I had no idea that what I thought of as an unusual life-change was in fact membership to a huge club of like-minded adventurers. I bought a 1993 (I think) 8.2L diesel Gulfstream Ultra about six months ago and as there's just me and my big dog, I[m finding the transition a very pleasurable experience. I've been living in S.W. France for nearly 13 years, and being obliged to earn a living, never really got to do a proper tour of this part of the world. now I can, and in style.

The only jarring note has been the previous owner's unwillingness to do anything about the many defects he cleverly hid from view when I went to inspect it. Still, it was a good buy I think, and the change in lifestyle tends to imbue things with a somewhat rosy hue. Hang on, I'm a scouser, I can't be getting all poetic over a machine. Or can I ?

I agree with earlier comments regarding a tendency among the RV community to be over-lavish on when beginning to personalise their new surroundings. Perhaps I'm being too lavish in my intro.... but it's difficult to stop. Thanx folks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi
Having spend some time as a full timer and travel extensively in France I look forward to hearing about your travels .. :welcome:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the fun, don't forget we have a chatroom for those long boring evenings, hee hee.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Welcome to MH Fun

Good to hear that you are enjoying yourself.

Keep in touch and tell us all your adventures.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I also look forward to hearing about your experiances.
Having spent some time in SW France dep 66.
Is your RV French or UK registered...if French I would be very interested in finding out how this was done. This forum is a mine of info re RVs and the lifestyle that goes with them.
Once more welcome aboard and look forward to reading your posts.:thumb:

OP
OP
M

mahgnirtle

Free Member
Sep 19, 2010
S.W. France.
Funster No
MH
not sure, RV?
Exp
since 20.3.2010
Thanks for the reply. The Beast is still registered in England at the moment, but I use me daughter's address for all my UK admin needs, and when I get the logbook back from Swansea I need a certificate of conformation (in French, bien sur), from Gulfstream. Then I have to get another certificate from Chevy France which is issued after an an inspection, to make sure it hasn't been tampered with, presumably. Next step, assuming both the other bits of paper are forthcoming, is the controle technique (French Mot) which is valid for 2 yrs, and has to be paid for, as with all the other technical stuff. Then, assuming it has all gone well I can legally import it into France, paying several hundred euros for the honour, and then I can go to the Prefecture which is miles and miles away, and pay for the ownership document (carte grise) before going to a garage to buy me new number plates. After that, if I can still afford to put some diesel in it, the sky's the limit. Alternately, I won't bother with all that and insure it through a French company which covers foreign-registered vehicles. Easy eh?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks for the reply. The Beast is still registered in England at the moment, but I use me daughter's address for all my UK admin needs, and when I get the logbook back from Swansea I need a certificate of conformation (in French, bien sur), from Gulfstream. Then I have to get another certificate from Chevy France which is issued after an an inspection, to make sure it hasn't been tampered with, presumably. Next step, assuming both the other bits of paper are forthcoming, is the controle technique (French Mot) which is valid for 2 yrs, and has to be paid for, as with all the other technical stuff. Then, assuming it has all gone well I can legally import it into France, paying several hundred euros for the honour, and then I can go to the Prefecture which is miles and miles away, and pay for the ownership document (carte grise) before going to a garage to buy me new number plates. After that, if I can still afford to put some diesel in it, the sky's the limit. Alternately, I won't bother with all that and insure it through a French company which covers foreign-registered vehicles. Easy eh?
The reason I asked was several years ago whilst living in France I wanted to register my Dodge Ram,what a job...gave up in the end,it was more trouble than it was worth.Have been asked many times about selling RVs in France but what a nightmare it was trying to import American vehicles into France.I think the French government have somthing against American vehicles becouse they certainly make it almost imposible to register them there.

OP
OP
M

mahgnirtle

Free Member
Sep 19, 2010
S.W. France.
Funster No
MH
not sure, RV?
Exp
since 20.3.2010
I know what you mean. I've imported a couple of non-French cars into the country but that was 10 yrs ago and it was more difficult then according to a friend who imports cars to sell.

As you say, the sticking point is usually American stuff because they don't seem to mind if their cars don't sell abroad so they don't make the effort to make them comply to European standards. Shame.

Still, there is a fair bit of American-built stuff on the roads of France, because although it's popular to slag the Americans (and the Brits) off, nearly every new film or TV show is American, as is much of the music. I think the French secretly admire the US as they try so hard to imitate them. I just don't think they have forgiven them for McDonald's. I tend to be quiet on the subject and feign convulsions to avoid it.

I digress. If I succeed I'll be happy and if not I'll remind my French friends that they're lucky I'm here and if nothing's done I'll stop patronising the local bar (and the owner). No point in arguing with the bureaucrats, what will be will be. I'll keep you posted of developments as they unfold. Ta for the interest - Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back