New Forum Software Q & A

Discussion in 'Website Help' started by Gromett, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

This is a list of questions I have been asked more than once. I will post the question and answer here so hopefully more people can get the info quicker(y) If you have a questions ask away in here and I will add it to this list.

Q) Where are my old PM's? How do I send a PM?
    A) Hover over your username on the top menu (top right) then click on conversation. To send a PM go into conversations and click on "Start a new Conversation"

Q) Where is my membership Number?
    A) When you are on the main page click on your name in the "Members online now" list. This will pop up a card with your membership number at the bottom. If you can't see your name on this list click on the "More" link at the bottom of the list and you will get a full list you can search.

Q) How do I stay logged in?
    A) There is a "Stay logged in" tick box on the login box. It may take the second login with this selected for it to work as it sorts itself out.

Q) Can you increase the size of the font in such and such a section please?
    A) Sorry the font sizes are balanced to fit in with the majority of users and platforms. However you can in your browser zoom the overall sizes of everything. For instance in Firefox on the View -> Zoom menu you can increase decrease to your required size.

Q) The home page link keeps taking me to the forum home page.
    A) This is as it is meant to be. The new site is all based around the forum. New features will be added quickly and will appear on the top menu.

Q) Where is the games Arcade.
    A) It wasn't compatible with the new forum. When we get time we will look for an alternative. Sorry.

Q) How can I view threads I haven't read so far?
    A) If you are in the forum then there is a "New Posts" link on the sub menu just below the top menu. If you aren't in the forum (for example you are in Media) then you can hover over the Forum menu and go straight to the "New Posts" from the drop down menu. Once you have read them you can clear them using "Mark Forums Read"

Q) How do I get rid of the Red numbers on the top bar.
    A) For Media you can hover over the Media menu and select "Mark Viewed". For Notifications you can just hover over the menu to reset it. You can reduce the number of notifications in your settings section. To do this hover over your username on the top menu bar and select "Alert Preferences". Inbox number will be cleared when you view them.

Q) Where has the old home page/recent links stuff gone.
    A) You can view recent link from the top/main menu now. To view all posts since your last visit see the question 2 up.

Q) How can I make the forum open in the "Latest Posts" section?
    A) Bookmark this link http://motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/widget-pages/latest/

Q) I can't hover over the menu on my iPad?
    A) That is correct. The hover option is a small bonus for people with a mouse. You don't lose any functionality on an iPad but you do need to click the menu then choose the option from the sub menu. On my Android tablet I have to click to get to new pages but I haven't lost any features.

Q) Threads disappear from my New Posts list?
    A) "New Posts" Will only show threads that are either New since you last looked or you haven't view yet. Once you view or reply to a thread it is no longer classified as New so will drop off this list. You can clear this list by clicking the "Mark Read" button at the top. I think there is some confusion at the moment between "New Posts" and "Latest Posts". The latter just shows latest posts regardless of whether you have seen it or not. This was implemented so people who like the old way could still access it. This may move, have it's title changed or be other wise modified to clear up the confusion.

Any more questions please feel to ask in here and I will add them.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  2. JJ

JJ Funster

Great job you two... thanks a million.

Now.

I like to see the forum in the "Three Sections" containing Rallies, Motorhome stuff and non motorhome stuff (U Shaped Lounge).

To bring this up I open the menu thingy and click on "Latest Posts".

Question.

Can I set it so when I open Fun it is there already?

JJ :cool:

3. JJ

JJ Funster

Question 2.

Can we be shown who started the thread as well as who was the last person to reply?

JJ :cool:

4. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

How can you hover with an iPad

5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

@lesleyjean I have added a Q/A in the first post regarding this...

It is bugged at the moment, on this list of things to fix.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

@JJ new posts added to Q/A at top.

7. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Where are the classifides?

8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Classified is still on our list of things to do, sorry

9. simbadog

simbadog Funster

If you go to chat forum, when you leave the forum it still shows you as being logged in there!
    (On the chat forum page)
    Somewhat confusing for those trying to use it!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  10. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I've got a question.....

On the thread about air conditioning on the roof, post 8 I think it is replying to Old Mo is an ignored member..... I don't recall ignoring anyone (well, not pressing the ignore button anyway) and when I check the ignored people in my profile, nobody shows and of course because it is ignored I can't click on it to find out who it might be. Any clues as to how to resolve this! Many thanks

• Like Like x 1
  11. simbadog

simbadog Funster

If I read a post & then go back to new posts or latest posts, that thread I have just looked at is not showing????????

12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Can you tell me which posts are on either side of the one you can't see please? There is nothing obviously missing on my view of that thread?

13. Whatton

Whatton Read Only Funster

"Belly Locker" forum posts appear in the "Motorhome Related Posts" section when "Latest Posts" is clicked on. Pretty sure thats not intentional :)

14. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

It's gone now - I just checked. Absolutely bizarre.

But not a problem. Thanks for looking anyway

15. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Thanks, will let Jim know.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ali n Tim

Ali n Tim Funster

Hi Karl. Thanks for your help with all this (y)

On the Q&A thread re the 'latest posts' link, how do I bookmark the link? :confused:

17. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Can you try right clicking then look for a Bookmark this link. Then you would need to move it using the bookmark manager in your browser. I can't give specific advice as it is different depending on what browser and what type of computer you are on sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  18. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Karl I noticed that the June calendar states the event : Malvern Motorhome show is June 28th but it is not listed for August 2014

19. Gromett

Gromett Funster

@champers don't worry too much about Events just yet. I was supposed to be sorting it out today but too many other things came up. Hopefully tomorrow things will be a bit more settled and I can look at it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Onderweg

Onderweg Funster

Hi Karl,
    Great you opened a Q&A thread, this will help many of us and reduce the number of questions.

So my first question is regarding this thread :LOL: If a question is asked and I experience the same but its not yet answered in your FAQ should I add the same question or just wait till you handled it in your FAQ ?
    As an example: I experience the same as Simbadog
    If you go to chat forum, when you leave the forum it still shows you as being logged in there!
    Unquote​

Second is related to the avatars, I created an animated avatar of my little doggy. In this forum the avatar is not animated, but just a still picture, in my profile however it is still animated and moving as i set it up. Certainly not a priority but would be nice to know if and how i can get the animated avatar back

Third, fourth and fifth are chat related
    • We are used to get a sound and a notification in text when someone enters or leaves the chatroom, for us golden oldies it would be great if both are available in the new chat as well. When you are alone in the chatroom the sound makes it possible to do other things on your computer and be warned when someone enters the room. The notification in text kept it clear who is in or left. In this chatroom i have to keep an eye on the names listed on the right. I keep on losing the overview.
    • The webcam, still work in process or a missing feature from now on
    • Once and a while we would change our username to facilitate newbees in the chat or in the quiz like this: Onderweg - Paul or Onderweg - Paul Quizmaster, any possibilities in this new chatroom
    The new forum works very userfriendly (on a pc) and appreciate all the work, Thanks

Paul