New File Added: Garage Handover Form

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Downloads: A new file has been added by Jim:

Garage Handover Form

After reading the horrendous story about the motorhome stolen whilst it was in the garage and the owner subsequently discovering that they were not insured when their motorhome was in for service
    :Eeek: It seems this is a common exclusion so I decided to knock up a quick form that I will endeavour to get signed when I leave my vehicle in a garage.

Feel free to use the form, but only on the proviso that you understand I am not a lawyer, I have no idea if this form would stand up in court or if it would help or hinder your claim. I place it here only as an example of what I will use and recommend you take legal advice before you use it:Laughing:

How I hate our litigious society:Smile:

Jim

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

thanks Jim, worth a punt if nowt else.

i'm sure one could sue the garage for lack of 'duty of care'
    after all you left the motorhome in THEIR care.

3. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Thank you, Jim. This will be good for peace of mind.
    Lucille

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

But someone on here is !

Why not put the text in this thread to temp a comment.

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Motorhome Receipt
    I_______________________________________
    of
    it will be covered by our insurance policy.
    Motorhome Condition at Handover
    I have inspected the vehicle and have noted below any damage, scratches
    scuff etc. I have made this a thorough inspection as I accept that
    I will be responsible for any damage subsequently found.
    Damage Noted:
    ____________________ _______________ __________________ _____________________
    Signature Date ‐ Time Print Name Position. Director/Sales Manager etc
    ____________________ _______________
    Owners Signature Date ‐ Time

6. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Jim the form is a good idea but just wondered that the garage owner could still sign this knowing that he is not covered for the m/h full stop,

Would knowing the garage's insurers , tel no and the amount insured for / limit help?

It was mentioned recently in another thread regarding limited amount the garage is insured for m/h's

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Champers, that's a good idea. I have no idea about garage owners policys and what they might cover. There are a few Funster garage owners maybe they can enlighten us as to what a typical policy covers.

8. madbluemad

madbluemad

Its a good effort but I reckon any garage would give you a funny look and hand back the keys.
    Jim
    :Smile:

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I agree Jim, but are we then to leave £50k unsure if it is insured:Smile:

10. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Yes possibly some garage owners would be bewildered why we are asking, but thinking now would a insurance company if tel by the customer disclose that the garage limit was high enough or not to cover their m/h whilst at the garage...... I doubt it

11. madbluemad

madbluemad

No Jim, not at all, thats why I said "It Was A Good Effort".

I find it difficult to think of an answer to the problem.

If the garage isnt Insured then its not Insured and thats that.

You know yourself that when you Insure your mh-rv your Insurance Comany will not pay out unless you are in possesion of all keys and alarm fobs, or at least thats my experience.

If the garage owner will sign the form, thats fine. If your Insurance Comany will accept that the vehicle was securley kept by the garage and pay out on a theft, thats fine.

Thats just not the way it works.

Maybe before anybody takes their vehicle and leaves it with the garage, they should contact their Insurer and confirm or otherwise whether its going to be Insured.

If its not then speak to the garage and ask to see their Insurance Policy. If the vehicle is not Insured, dont leave it their.

Then what do you do ?

Its a valid subject for discussion and I'll admit that I dont know the answer.

Jim

:RollEyes:

12. Terry

Terry Funster

Nice idea, but easy way is inform your insurers that it needs to be on cover whilst having the work done as you are not sure the garage ins covers it :thumb: best of both then:thumb:
    terry
    edit --Do you inform ins that your van is in storage ?

13. madbluemad

madbluemad

As a general rule youre Insurer will take in to account where the vehicle is kept when giving a quote.

I blieve that Insurance is higher when kept in storage rather than on your own property.

Jim
    :Smile:

14. Terry

Terry Funster

I remember having to inform insurers when I got a curtsey car to transfer cover :thumb:
    terry

15. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

OK then guys and girls! So we finish working on the motorhome. It is parked up in our safe and secure car park and then another motorhome owner reverses straight into the front of it!

The Kon Tiki owner had been asked to collect his van as the work had been finished. So 24 hours after being asked to collect his motorhome, it was still in our car park, when Bang!

Is that still our responsibility?

By the way Niesman bischoff versus Swift Kon Tiki? Ripped the back of the NB right off left it on the floor of the car park, £250 of damage to the Kon Tikis paintwork!

What about a campsite? If I leave my motorhome on a campsite and go out for the day and my camper is stolen, do I sue the campsite?

We are fullly insured for any eventuality as a business, but another to ponder. You leave me your motorhome for us to install more toys for you. It gets stolen over night from our car park. We still have the keys locked in our key safe. You then tell us that you actually left a set in the motorhome, which it then transpires is the way that the motorhome was stolen! Is that still my fault? or yours?

Nothing is clear!

Eddie

ps Excellent idea though Jim but I wouldn't let any of my staff sign it as I would smell a rat wondering on how I was being shafted or conned some how! Sorry:Wink:

16. JJ

JJ Funster

Bloody hell Jim... That is a lot to pay for a twelve year old Hymer... must be in really good condition! :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

JJ

17. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Owners vans left with us for servicing/repairs/warranty are fully covered by our insurance, they are not covered by us if some other third party driver not employed by us damages it as they would have their own insurance to answer Eddies post.

Vans left on our premises for contract sale would not be covered as they would not be our property and the owner would have to make sure he was covered.

Peter

18. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Hi Peter, I know from previous conversations that both of us have full cover. It would seem that many business's don't

Another thing that amazes me is the amount of concern that this issue has raised, when leaving a motorhome at bona fide premises worth millions in some cases, yet some many people get blase at shows.

We often see any old tom dick or harry with ladders up the side of motorhomes and caravans, drilling holes in roofs even in the rain and no one seems to bat an eyelid! I personally would be more concerned about that type of traders insuarance to be honest.

Eddie

19. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

FWIW I fully agree with Eddie and Peter. We carry full insurance to cover any eventuality caused by me or my employees/contractors but I do honestly wonder sometimes about what level of cover some businesses carry and whether or not their insurers would be happy to know they're (as Eddie says) drilling holes in roofs in a field in the rain.

D.

20. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

this is a very informative thread, it raises questions I had never thought about:Eek!:, both for my Hm and cars. I think a call to my insurerers is in order as well as quizzing any service agents,

thanks to all parties