New Fifth Wheel Forum Added (1 Viewer)

R

Rockie

Deleted User
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice. As I said before, we are completely new to all this - we have never towed anything let alone a 30' long 8' wide monster!
24' long and 7'2" wide still sounds big but a lot more manageable??

I appreciate that for full timimg as much space as possible is desirable, but the size is a bit off putting especially for my wife who dreads the thought of towing something huge.

We live high in the North Pennines and both our cars are small 4x4s (Fiat Sedici) to cope with the snow and ice in winter. For a tow vehicle vehicle I would tend to go for a 4x4 pickup just for the reassurance of having it if needed.

Anyone got any advice about Internet connections? WiFi coverage seems patchy, mobile phone broadband seems expensive. We could not manage without the Internet!

Cheers

Rockie

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
The main difference between a Cummins 2500 and a Cummins 3500 is a slight difference in overall gearing and in the case of ours dual back wheels. These make the truck much heavier so reduce your potential payload. But as far as pulling/carrying a fifth wheel a 34' would be no problem at all with a 2500. Don't be too put off by the size when towing, you do get used to the larger size but the fifth wheel is so easy and comfortable to tow on the road, sometimes we have to look in the rear view mirror to make sure it is still there, also with an engine like the Cummins there are no hills on the main roads, not sure about the Penines though. We say if a normal bus or truck can get down a road, so can you. Again with regard to power it is much easier on the tow vehicle when there is power to spare.

At the Malvern show last weekend, we saw a really nice American 5th wheel with Cross Country, we believe it was 27' and was £22,900.00. The only problem we found, it didn't have much wardrobe space, but everything else about it seemed really good for the price. It had one slide out. They have another called a Wildcat which has two slides and is about £26,000.00, didn't have one at the show as it didn't arrive from the States in time. Might be an idea to visit their website. These are prices for new, they also do secondhand.

Our friend towed his 34' fifth wheel to Malvern from Cambridge with an F250 V8, towing well at 60miles and hour, he is fulltiming in his, so no doubt is carrying more weight than if not. He imported his fifth wheel in from the States via the net, (without visiting the states), brand new delivered to Cambridge for £18k. He had to get the electrics and brakes sorted here himself, but had no problems.

It is scary towing the fifth wheel for the first time, especially for the other half sitting in the suicide seat, but you soon get used to it.

Dodge also make a 3500 with single rear wheels, but we believe this to be on the later models only.

Nigel and Pamala

M

MammaLL

Deleted User
I was under the impression that in order to tow a trailer over 24' the tug had to be in excess of 3500KG gross vehicle weight? Is a Cummins 250 legally allowed to pull their 34' rig? There seems to be so many rules and regs in this country and we are getting a bit dizzy trying to work it all out! We are looking at a Jayco recon zx toyhauler as we want to convert the garage into a play room/bedroom for our young ones but thought we had to get a ram or ford 350 with double rear wheels in order to legally pull it?
Any views on this.
Loving the forum and lovely people BTW!::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
You need to know the weight of the 5th wheel you are looking for. That will give you a starting point for the tow vehicle.

I have a Ford F150 Lightning pickup and only bought it for the looks and performance. I was however amazed at what it was capable of towing it isnt a big truck (in fact its the smallest Ford make) but it will still haul a 30ish foot 5er with a slide out and its only got a single wheel rear axle and a 6 foot bed and isnt 4WD.

Unless your looking for a 40 foot long monster with 5 slides a F250 would suit you and give you the option of a double cab without been too big. Forget the Toyota or Nissan European pickups I had a Navara for 4 weeks (that was as long as i could stand it for!!!) and it was so agricultural and slow i was loosing the will to live!!:cry:

Your best bet is to send a letter to the DVLA with what you want to tow and with what and ask them for an answer if you are able to do it or not. As there reply will be in writing you will have some recourse if you run into problems further down the line.

Cheers:thumb:

M

MammaLL

Deleted User
You need to know the weight of the 5th wheel you are looking for. That will give you a starting point for the tow vehicle.

I have a Ford F150 Lightning pickup and only bought it for the looks and performance. I was however amazed at what it was capable of towing it isnt a big truck (in fact its the smallest Ford make) but it will still haul a 30ish foot 5er with a slide out and its only got a single wheel rear axle and a 6 foot bed and isnt 4WD.

Unless your looking for a 40 foot long monster with 5 slides a F250 would suit you and give you the option of a double cab without been too big. Forget the Toyota or Nissan European pickups I had a Navara for 4 weeks (that was as long as i could stand it for!!!) and it was so agricultural and slow i was loosing the will to live!!:cry:

Your best bet is to send a letter to the DVLA with what you want to tow and with what and ask them for an answer if you are able to do it or not. As there reply will be in writing you will have some recourse if you run into problems further down the line.

Cheers:thumb:

Dazzer thanks for the brilliant idea with the DVLA. I never thought of that! We are indeed looking at a 40' monster although only dual slide. I suspect a 250 would do and would favour that as the bigger 350 is such a beast. Whichever we go for we will almost certainly convert to LPG.
What did you do with braking? Got info from the DVLA saying electric is fine but most be on all the axles and needs a manual handbrake, this last bit seems a challenge?

Thanks for the advice :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
i have to say I reckon a 40 footer is pushing it as thats the largest RV they allow.

This thread has spurred me into looking in the US and I like the look of a 29 footer with 3 2 slides and a F250 truck

I have driven a Dodge Ram 3500 duel rear wheel and what a beast eith the 5.3 diesel engine.

Last edited:
M

MammaLL

Deleted User
i have to say I reckon a 40 footer is pushing it as thats the largest RV they allow.

This thread has spurred me into looking in the US and I like the look of a 29 footer with 3 2 slides and a F250 truck

Hmm yes this is true but we are looking at full timing with an 8 and 2.5 year old, we need plenty of accomodation, mostly so they can have some form of private space. Best we have found are toy haulers as they tend to have a garage (as one kids room) a queen bedroom and a loft bedroom. We have friends who full time with 3 kids and only one bedroom so anything is possible, perhaps we are trying too much to replicate our bricks and mortar!
Until we actually start looking at rigs (forthcoming shows) its all a bit pie in the sky, but we continue to live and dream::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hmm yes this is true but we are looking at full timing with an 8 and 2.5 year old, we need plenty of accomodation, mostly so they can have some form of private space. Best we have found are toy haulers as they tend to have a garage (as one kids room) a queen bedroom and a loft bedroom. We have friends who full time with 3 kids and only one bedroom so anything is possible, perhaps we are trying too much to replicate our bricks and mortar!
Until we actually start looking at rigs (forthcoming shows) its all a bit pie in the sky, but we continue to live and dream::bigsmile:

I would look very hard on US sites you'll save a fortune.

M

MammaLL

Deleted User
I would look very hard on US sites you'll save a fortune.

Yes we are coming to the same conclusion having read several posts in other threads. We are not sure whether to try and do it all ourself or use an agent for the purchase/import and conversion. I dont think we could afford to all go to the east coast to find a rig, perhaps just one of us (wow thats a responsibility) or else use a buyer?
Any experiences?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Our friends spent months checking out different 5ers on the internet, they eventually bought from a Co. in the states (not an exporter). This company delivered it to the docks for shipping, They did not go to the states.
The 5er was delivered to their site nr. Cambridge theTOTAL cost of their 34ft NEW unit was under £18,000.
On the other hand Cross Country UK had a nice 30ft 5er for £22,000 new, ready to roll, they will also buy to order, trucks as well as trailers.
If you want more info on our friend's purchase PM us.
Nigel & Pamala

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Yes we are coming to the same conclusion having read several posts in other threads. We are not sure whether to try and do it all ourself or use an agent for the purchase/import and conversion. I dont think we could afford to all go to the east coast to find a rig, perhaps just one of us (wow thats a responsibility) or else use a buyer?
Any experiences?

Lindy-C at Stateside Tuning might well be able to assist you?:winky:

BTW:- I went out on my own and bought my RV:winky:

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
This is the 5th wheel i towed a few hundred miles, the Dodge was nearly new and a BEST:thumb:the 5th wheel itself was a triple slide and sold at auction for under $8000 (Dodge not included:roflmto:)

Link Removed

S

stevefifthwheel

Deleted User
Where do you advertise a fifth wheel?

Hi all I currently have a Fifth Wheel Celtic Rambler 2007 and a 2007 Nissan Advantura. I am currently looking to sell the outfit due to buying property in Spain. Can anyone advise me where is the best place to advertise this. its a difficult one as I am sure you can appreciate, its not a caravan and its not a motorhome. Look forward to your suggestions.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Put it on the classifieds on here and shove it on Ebay for a very wide audience.

si sketch and sheryle

Free Member
Sep 18, 2008
Funster No
5er dillema

We have just purchased a Terry Quantum 295 RST 30'er with three slide outs
::bigsmile:but we havent decided what TV to buy. The gross weight is 1200kg. We are looking at importing a Ford F250/350 or a Ram 2500/3500 and we intend to convert to LPG so it will be gasoline. The problem with the bigger trucks is that we dont want the weight of the unit to go over 7.5 tons as we haven't got HGV licences.:Sad: Give us some feed back please. We get widely varying towing capacities from dealers.:Doh: No-one seems to know what can pull what. So its Rammers v Ford boys, the gloves are off. Let us know your thoughts
Sxx:thumb:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
The gross weight is 1200kg.

Are you sure this is right? :whatthe: 1200 kg sounds more like the pin weight.

Our fifth wheel is a 27.5 ft Jayco with 1 slide out and it's 2900 kg. We pull it with a Mitsubishi L200 but this truck would not pull anything much heavier.

From our experience in Canada the Ram is the superior vehicle and makes light work of the huge outfits over there. Our friends there have a 44 ft toyhauler and pull it easily with the ram2500.

Al & Gill

M

MammaLL

Deleted User
We have just purchased a Terry Quantum 295 RST 30'er with three slide outs
::bigsmile:but we havent decided what TV to buy. The gross weight is 1200kg. We are looking at importing a Ford F250/350 or a Ram 2500/3500 and we intend to convert to LPG so it will be gasoline. The problem with the bigger trucks is that we dont want the weight of the unit to go over 7.5 tons as we haven't got HGV licences.:Sad: Give us some feed back please. We get widely varying towing capacities from dealers.:Doh: No-one seems to know what can pull what. So its Rammers v Ford boys, the gloves are off. Let us know your thoughts
Sxx:thumb:

I can only see a terry tsrl on their site but if this is it then its actual weight is more like 5200kg, 1200 would be the pin weight.
Lovely looking unit, we have looked at similar although with an additional bedroom for the kids.
You are going to need a reasonable size rig to pull it but from my understanding you wont be able to exceed 8.25 tons gross train weight, i.e. tow vehicle and trailer combined.
From my explorations the issue you will have is that the gross weight of the trailer must not exceed that of your tow vehicle if driving with grandfather rights (pre 97 licence). This would mean your tow vehicle would also have to be 5200kg and this puts you over the 8.25 ton limit!:Doh:
We are struggling with the same issue so are considering getting an HGV licence. It takes a weeks training and costs about £1K (allegedly) but my feeling is if nothing else I am going to feel a lot safer driving a big trailer::bigsmile:
I am no expert though, just been doing a lot of research! There are other much more knowledgeable folk on this site!

Sam

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
I can only see a terry tsrl on their site but if this is it then its actual weight is more like 5200kg, 1200 would be the pin weight.
Lovely looking unit, we have looked at similar although with an additional bedroom for the kids.
You are going to need a reasonable size rig to pull it but from my understanding you wont be able to exceed 8.25 tons gross train weight, i.e. tow vehicle and trailer combined.
From my explorations the issue you will have is that the gross weight of the trailer must not exceed that of your tow vehicle if driving with grandfather rights (pre 97 licence). This would mean your tow vehicle would also have to be 5200kg and this puts you over the 8.25 ton limit!:Doh:
We are struggling with the same issue so are considering getting an HGV licence. It takes a weeks training and costs about £1K (allegedly) but my feeling is if nothing else I am going to feel a lot safer driving a big trailer::bigsmile:
I am no expert though, just been doing a lot of research! There are other much more knowledgeable folk on this site!

Sam

Once you go over 7.5 tonnes I think you'll find that to pull any trailer that weighs more than 750kg you will need a C licence which is the basic heavy goods plus the E which is the full trailer / artic licence making two lots of a £1000 pounds.
This applies to any 7.5 tonne RV driven on a car licence.
If your tow truck weighed for arguments sake 5 tonne then to tow any trailer that takes you over the 8.25 tonnes combined weight even with the first part of the heavy goods (C) licence would be illegal.

There are lots of RV ers with only a pre 1997 car licence driving 7.5 tonne outfits on the limit who tow cars on A frames or cars on trailers that are well over the 750kg limit and who dont realise that if they have an accident and have to claim their insurers are likely to refuse to pay out. They are also very likely to fall foul of the many weighbridges & also portable weigh stations that are springing up everywhere both here and in europe.
The latest trick I heard the police and all their many cronies are using is portable weighing pads placed on major roads linked to automatic number plate recognition cameras on bridges. You wont be able to fart soon, tis no wonder thousands are emigrating :ROFLMAO:

I drive my own 7.5 tonne lorry all the time and would probably pass an HGV test no trouble but I just cant be bothered at my time of life to take a heavy goods vehicle test so have resigned myself to probably buying a C class RV ( around six tonnes) that would still give me a good payload to tow our small Agila car on an A frame or trailer.

S

shellrich

Deleted User
I was under the impression that in order to tow a trailer over 24' the tug had to be in excess of 3500KG gross vehicle weight? Is a Cummins 250 legally allowed to pull their 34' rig? There seems to be so many rules and regs in this country and we are getting a bit dizzy trying to work it all out! We are looking at a Jayco recon zx toyhauler as we want to convert the garage into a play room/bedroom for our young ones but thought we had to get a ram or ford 350 with double rear wheels in order to legally pull it?
Any views on this.
Loving the forum and lovely people BTW!::bigsmile:
Hi me and my husband are having the same dilemma we spoke to VOSA and they said to us that GVW should not be over 3500KG that is with all water tanks loaded up plus anything you want to take onboard with you so ideally you need to find a lightweight trailer so by the time you are all loaded up you dont go over 3500KG the legal maximum width is 8ft 2 and a quater i think that was what VOSA said also most people we have spoken to said that you need a turbo diesel to pull a trailer comfortably yes your average 4X4 will pull a trailer with ease but will scream while doing it and in time will knacker your gear box and engine the other issue is finding someone that will insure the trailer we have spoken to several insurance companies they will insure but only if you hit someone accidentally they wont cover for anything else i.e if trailer gets burnt out! if you know of anyone that would be a help because its driving us up the wall tyring to find someone you can get cover i think if you are 7ft 6 anything over is a nightmare speak to VOSA yourself over the phone for clarification these are the people that should know! :Smile:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi me and my husband are having the same dilemma we spoke to VOSA and they said to us that GVW should not be over 3500KG that is with all water tanks loaded up plus anything you want to take onboard with you so ideally you need to find a lightweight trailer so by the time you are all loaded up you dont go over 3500KG the legal maximum width is 8ft 2 and a quater i think that was what VOSA said also most people we have spoken to said that you need a turbo diesel to pull a trailer comfortably yes your average 4X4 will pull a trailer with ease but will scream while doing it and in time will knacker your gear box and engine the other issue is finding someone that will insure the trailer we have spoken to several insurance companies they will insure but only if you hit someone accidentally they wont cover for anything else i.e if trailer gets burnt out! if you know of anyone that would be a help because its driving us up the wall tyring to find someone you can get cover i think if you are 7ft 6 anything over is a nightmare speak to VOSA yourself over the phone for clarification these are the people that should know! :Smile:

Just a quickie as I am confused...by trailer do you mean 5th wheel trailer?

Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can pull any trailer if the tow unit is under 3,500kg so long as you dont exceed the train weight of tow unit.it can be well over 8,250kg.with a B+E
if the tow unit is over 3,5t you are restricted to 8.250kg with a CI+E.
the rules dont really make sense.as they dont put the same restriction on a B+E licence.
thats assuming you passed your test before 97. the dft have list somewhere on the web ,i cant find it now. cheers alan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as far as width .if your tow unit is under 3.5 you can only pull a trailer of 2.3 mtr.if unit is over 3.5 it goes up to2.55mtr.
these are gross vehicle wts.
for driving licence the unit must not exceed 3.05 tonnes unladen .or c licence will be required .

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back