New Fifth Wheel Forum Added

Discussion in 'Fifth Wheelers' started by Jim, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

These rigs are getting more and more popular and for good reason. And, I was asked at Peterborough why we didn't have a 5th Wheeler forum and I couldn't answer, so for you fans of these giant beasts of the road. Here is your forum..

[​IMG]

2. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi Jim,
    Great idea, but we think we will have to talk to ourselves:Rofl1:
    BTW did you consider talking to "dismountable & 5th wheel club"?? From what the bossman told me, they would like to be in cyberspace.
    Nigel & Pamala

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I still have the card Nigel, I will email him tomorrow:thumb:

4. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

I can't remember what the number was, but they have quite a lot of members.
    Nigel

5. Griffs

Griffs Funster

re this new forum

Thank you for adding this Fifth wheel forum, the timing couldn't be better as at present we are thinking of uprating from a C class to a fifth wheel [the aim eventually to spend longer periods in warmer climes with additional transport!]

We are quite avid readers of this motorhome forum; it has helped us glean information about our C class. So we were initially dismayed to see that once we had decided to try the fifth wheel route, that there was very little info, so hopefully this new forum will help to right this, as inevitably we all enjoy travelling & hearing about other peoples experiences whatever mode they chose to use.

6. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Good idea Jim

Fifth wheels are so popular here in the states I reckon there are 3 or 4 to every motorhome, especially popular amongst fultimers.

Jan and I are also considering changing from our A class at home to either a C class or a uk made 5th wheel. Having used an A class here for the past few months its made us doubt the suitability of it at home, maybe a C class or uk made 5th wheel is more suitable.

7. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

We were very impressed with these units at one of the shows.

The build quality looked good and seems such a good idea.

No need to tow a car.Perfect solution for us.:thumb:

8. Safetyman

Safetyman Read Only Funster

Hi Jim
    Bit late I know to reply to your original post, however, as I am aware there are no dedicated fifth wheel sections in any other forums in the UK.
    As for beasts of the road my 26ft Roadrunner is shorter end to end than your average twin axle caravan/car rig, its easier to reverse, its easier to hitch-up (you can see the Hitch) and side to side sway is eliminated due to the hitch being within the load bay of the pick-up, over the rear axle.
    Oh and I forgot to mention, the nose weight can go up to 1 ton dependent on the train/GVW, also I have a king size double bed, massive storage space under the swan neck, a shower and sit in bath that supports my 6'5" frame and an internal height of 7'.
    Brakes:- My Electric Trailer brakes stop my nissan navara pick-up quicker than the Navara can stop without the trailer!
    If thats not enough electric jacks in the front make parking a doddle, the slide out is electrically operated, a pull down sun shade is standard and we have clocked our set-up time as 12 minutes from arrival at site to relaxing with a bottle of wine, complete with chairs table etc! (we have witnessed caravan awning errection taking 2.5 hours)
    Downside is that when you get into the ferry port or campsite you have all these people wanting a look!! Wev'e had Germans, Dutch, French, Latvians you name it! Lorry drivers are the most prolific because they like the idea that a caravan has the "Articulated" connection.
    Had a small twin axle caravan previously but have decided to camp in style!!!!
    If anyone wants confirmation of whether its worth converting to a higher standard of vanning please get in touch.

Kind Regards

9. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I often look at them on the net and drove one in the US but wondered where i could see US trucks at affordable prices?

I would happily import both:Smile:

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi

Nice looking rig, I have spoken to a couple of people lately that are contemplating getting a 5er because they can site it down south and it does not need to keep coming back to the UK for an MOT. We are seeing more of these on the roads, so I am sure this forum section will get busier eventually.:Smile:

11. kayzee bounder

kayzee bounder Deleted User

Happy 5th wheeler

Hi all, being a bit lazy i hadn't been on the site since i joined so on recieving a mail asking me where'd i gone..... here i am:Blush:, but am i glad because scrolling through i spotted this 5th wheel forum and far as i know its a first, while i can't claim to be an internet whizz i have searched a bit for a U.k. site but never found one (er....that may just be me), but happy days i'm on one now :thumb:. Though i said it before when i joined mine is a 2007 36' twin axle K-Z Montego Bay triple slide with genny onboard, same as Jim's with the electric legs and brakes but no way yet have i managed 12 minutes pull up to set up....give me time only been out in it twice so far. I use a Dodge Ram 3500 to tow it and its a good drive, steady no swaying at all. From a previous chat here i know some of you will be at Worchester soon so i'll say hello there. Have fun all :BigGrin:

12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

If not brought back for an MOT how will anyone legally move it in the future, or is it just left to rot. Similar problem with a motorhome in France recently, nice van good runner but no MOT, would be confiscated if caught on the road. haulage would cost more than the vehicle worth. Or does the trailer part of a 5th wheel not require an MOT, thought regs were coming in later this year to make separate reg and test for trailer obligatory. BTW I have six wheels how about a section for me hee hee:Rofl1:

13. kayzee bounder

Trailer tests

So far a non commercial trailer in the U.K doesn't require a test, same as an ordinary car trailer or caravan, but knowing our governments that will change once they realise that's another way to skim a few bob, even so for now no steering no seatbelts no headlights etc., etc., it's a whole lot less to test. :RollEyes:

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i figure if and when this trailer test ever comes into being it will only consist of tyre kicking and door slamming.

all you have is brakes, lights and chassis integrity:Wink:

it'll be interesting to see them test the overrun brakes though.....how do you get an efficiency reading on them.:Eek!:

15. Fifth-RV

Fifth-RV Deleted User

Provided the trailer is roadworthy you could legally tow it without an MOT to a place of testing in the UK, then to a place of repair if it fails. So it wouldn't be "stranded" in Europe. But in any case, as already noted, MOTs do not yet apply to non-commercial trailers.

New regs come into force next year (April 2009) to require Type Approval testing of all new trailers, but not registration or annual testing.

16. Fifth-RV

Fifth-RV Deleted User

Hi K-B. I've just discovered this forum tonight, and after much searching it's great to find someone with a similar rig to my own. Mine is a 2008 41' twin axle quad slide (no gennie yet) and the TV is a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 dually. Shipped Baltimore-Southampton last June.

Like you say, a dream to drive. Is your RAM an gasser or a diesel? I chose the 5.9L Cummins.

17. kayzee bounder

Snap !

Hi Fifth,
    thought i was seeing double for a moment, nice looking outfit but then i am biased lol. Yes i have the 5.9 Cummins engine, auto box etc., very happy with it all. The trailer has an Onan 5.5 genny fitted in the states, its mounted in the compartment under the front, works well but a little noisy outside up close, don't hear a thing inside though:RollEyes:, anyway to be a bit more considerate to others i have bought a Honda 20i which i'm told will run most of it...quietly. Onboard genny runs on propane from the storage bottle and i carry a spare so all in all there's not really anything more i want to do to it well other than get out in it. The dodge is a standard rear drive but i am giving some thought to seeing if there's a rear diff coversion to full diff lock for grass. I haven't had a problem yet pulling off but after an experience at Billing Land rover show recently, it made me wonder what might happen on wet ground and an uphill pull out, but then my other pastime is off roading so maybe i'm just being over concerned. Are you going to Malvern if so will have the chance to say hello.

18. nozzmoking

nozzmoking Read Only Funster

Hi all,

I'm just looking to purchase an F150 5.4ltr V8, (Petrol) + Celtic Rambler 5ver, so discovering this forum is great. :Smile:

I'd like to ask a question of you guys with the bigger rigs, but firstly would like to explain my reasons for choosing the above combo, and whether you think they're sound.

I have a Class 1 licence from a previous existance and so, having done a lot of agency work, am used to driving big rigs etc., around the UK only, so confidence is not an issue. The Celtic Rambler is just short of 30', and the train length is approx. 40'. I would have preferred something a bit bigger, like the American imports, as the main thing that lets the CR down, in my view is the restricted height and overall size of the bedroom. As you know, some of the US rigs have the bedroom in a sideout. I also need an area I can use as a mini-office, as I will need to work while away.

My main concern is that I'd like to tour around Europe, but am worried about the practicalities of touring with anything bigger than the rig I'm looking at.

If I was looking to long-term at a particular location, then I'd have no hesitation to go bigger, but touring . . . ?

What do you guys think, is it a good idea to stick to this sort of size, and then maybe upgrade when we start to slow down a bit, and snowbird?

Cheers for any advice guys! :thumb:

Paul

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  19. kayzee bounder

Nozzsmoking question and Safetyman.

Hi all, first i must apologise to Safetyman for an earlier misquote i made in refering to "Jim" about using and setting up my 5th wheel :Doh:, in fact it was Safetyman's comment's i was refering to...SORRY MATE but either way i still haven't managed to beat your 12 minute set up time :Eek!: mind you i never will with the speed i do things at :Wink:. Nozzingsmoking i can't offer you any experienced advice about touring 5th's because i haven't done any yet, what i can say is that like you i was a group 1 years ago but office bound for a long time since so i hadn't done any wagon driving for some years, only thing i noticed that i prefered in a wagon is being higher with better rear view mirrors, even with 2nd offset mirrors for turning i find being low a drawback...or maybe not as it makes me pay full attention when turning either forwards or reverse. One thing i want to do at Malvern is decide on a twin rear camera set-up but thats me. I consider the couple of trips i've made so far a learning experience but it is a build up to going into Europe and touring...so if you get there first tell me all :thumb:. what i can say is that i also have a 34' fleetwood Bounder A Class and ...well at the risk of incurring anybodies wrath, i much prefer the 5th :RollEyes:

20. kayzee bounder

Nozzsmoking question and Safetyman.

Hi all, first i must apologise to Safetyman for an earlier misquote i made in refering to "Jim" about using and setting up my 5th wheel :Doh:, in fact it was Safetyman's comment's i was refering to...SORRY MATE but either way i still haven't managed to beat your 12 minute set up time :Eek!: mind you i never will with the speed i do things at :Wink:. Nozzingsmoking i can't offer you any experienced advice about touring 5th's because i haven't done any yet, what i can say is that like you i was a group 1 years ago but office bound for a long time since so i hadn't done any wagon driving for some years, only thing i noticed that i prefered in a wagon is being higher with better rear view mirrors, even with 2nd offset mirrors for turning i find being low a drawback...or maybe not as it makes me pay full attention when turning either forwards or reverse. One thing i want to do at Malvern is decide on a twin rear camera set-up but thats me. I consider the couple of trips i've made so far a learning experience but it is a build up to going into Europe and touring...so if you get there first tell me all :thumb:. what i can say is that i also have a 34' fleetwood Bounder A Class and ...well at the risk of incurring anybodies wrath, i much prefer the 5th :RollEyes: