New Fiat Ducato

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by Traveller_HA5_3DOM, May 16, 2014.

1. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 2
  2. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

All very cosmetic but extra mpg is always good. At least we shouldn't have shed loads of recalls if the chassis is the same. My last Fiat shed had 17 recalls to the point of receiving a christmas card from the dealer. They hadn't a clue about how to repair anything but the coffee was always good and 3 tanks of free fuel helped.

3. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

That's the main reason why I go for Renault. Past performance of the Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot group in relation to Motorhome chassis problems has been dismal, with water leaks on the scuttle, reversing judders, so six years ago I went Renault, so pleased with the product that just had the latest Euro five model. The old one was well capable of 40 mpg with the aid of the chip box and that was on a 3.8 tonne low line chassis. The quoted figures are for the panel van probably lightly loaded.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Facelift: Additional cost to purchase?

Does anyone know how much more is added to the cost when a facelift model is released?

5. jezport

jezport Funster

Chassis may be the same but it mentioned composite materials being used in the rear suspension. So plastic suspension made by Fiat.... A marriage made in heaven :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

• Like Like x 1
  6. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

OMG, can you imagine it eeeeek

7. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Whilst I agree, 'plastic' suspension sounds a bit dodgy on the face of it, it's the one area that disappoints on my existing van. Hopefully, the revised system will be a bit more compliant. Our van often feels like a cart at the back end. And I have the tyre pressures as low as is safe, commensurate with axle load. But it really can be rough at times and spoil an otherwise good ride quality.

Mike

8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Heres the new Autotrail Tracker RS autotrail tracker rs.JPG RS.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  9. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

The update looks quite good. Is that on the normal chassis or the camping chassis? Can't see the wider track..... We looked at the tracker but went the whole hog in the end and got something else. Cheers

10. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I must say they have done a very nice job of the exterior looks. If that made a reliable product then this would win. I must say in the early years we had an Autotrail, Chinook, Scout then a self destructing Commanche. Out of the three we had water ingress, poor electrics to the point of a fire, delamination and just to put some icing on the cake the cupboards parted company from the walls. All good fun but they were our least problematic motorhomes. The Bentley owned now has NEVER had a repair or fault in three years. I know they went bust but the product is as it should be, well built and reliable. It's surely not a lot to ask on a vehicle costing 50k plus.

11. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Thanks for the pics - I think that's the first coachbuilt I've seen on the new chassis.

12. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

The Bentley as well was using the Renault front end.

13. Frentchy

Frentchy Funster

So what causes this reversing Judder,? Iv got a 2007 And it Judders!!

14. lou020

lou020 Funster

I've seen quite a few new shape m/h in Belgium and down here in Austria, they don't half look ugly,very similar to new transit and I think that's ugly too.

15. Phill D

Phill D

you need to speak to Fiat camper services, there was 2 mods dependent on how bad the judder was. its caused by a crap ration for reverse gear to save space and i dare say cost of the gearbox.

1 mod was to replace all the engine mountings, the other was to replace some bits in the gearbox.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

I used to have a Autotrail apache 700 and that had really bad reverse judder, I now have a new Bailey 750 and I've not noticed any judder when reversing!

17. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Mine is an '09 and it too juddered, at its worst when reversing up a hill. I informed Fiat two years ago and they' fixed' it for free. They fitted a stronger clutch, new engine mounting brackets and altered the gearing slightly and it has been fine since. I understand that the problem was the gearbox casing would not allow a large enough cog to reduce the speed enough to perform smoothly.

18. lesr48

lesr48 Funster

My Lunar Champ is built on a 2006 Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD and I have never noticed any juddering when reversing

19. westy77

westy77 Funster

If I understand correctly your and my van (see avatar pic<<) won't suffer with reverse judder. It's the face lifted on from end if 2006 and onwards. Same with the scuttle drain problem.

But..... Your front crossmember will rust faster than any BL car made in the late 70's, as will your oil pan. Front wheel bearings will rumble. Waste gate will stick. And the gear stick may drop off. So it's not all bad :D

20. lesr48

lesr48 Funster

It's nice to know I have plenty of fun to look forward to!!lol