New family member (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Today we went to see what may be our newest canine family member.

She is around 18 months old, possibly a Lab/airedale cross, and has a bad start in life being owned by an alcoholic woman from being a pup.
the woman is now in hospital and isnt expected to live so the dog was taken into kennels.
we were 'vetted' by an RSPCA officer yesterday and given permission to adopt.

'Fudge', as she is known for now, is very nervous especially round men, but when they brought her into the office we both got down to her level with a handful of treats........she took to me straight away.
it was only when i stood up she backed off.
we took her for a short walk around their paddock, Shirl taking Jack, our JR, me taking Fudge.

Absolutely no problem at all, she even jumped up at me a couple of times.

she had a bad ear mite infestation, now sorted, but has an ongoing ear problem with a weeping discharge but hopefully that will sort itself with drops.
She is spayed, chipped and vaccinated.

We are going back tommorrow for a second visit and possibly bring her home.
not going to be an easy ride for the next few months but perseverence usually wins.

11038125_10206600623073899_4909640877007718803_n.jpg

Last edited:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

She is around 18 months old, possibly a Lab/airedale cross, and has a bad start in life being owned by an alcoholic woman from being a pup.
the woman is now in hospital and isnt expected to live so the dog was taken into kennels.

'Fudge', as she is known for now, is very nervous especially round men, but when they brought her into the office we both got down to her level with a handful of treats........she took to me straight away.
we took her for a short walk around their paddock, Shirl taking Jack, our JR, me taking Fudge.

she had a bad ear mite infestation, now sorted, but has an ongoing ear problem with a weeping discharge but hopefully that will sort itself with drops.

not going to be an easy ride for the next few months but perseverence usually wins.
She needs you PJ good luck

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
She looks a real cutie, does she travel ok ?
No idea....probably never has travelled far.
could just be another hurdle to overcome.

Harry would throw up in the car,(in the load bay, not the seating area) but never a problem in the RV.
Jack couldnt give a monkeys, just a big adventure to him.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

View attachment 55636
Well done - so pleased you felt able to take on another one. There are just too many waiting.
And perseverance always wins: the best part of taking on a rescue is watching it learning to trust again and seeing its character re-develop. She's gorgeous - enjoy her. :):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well, we have slept on it and discussed it at length this morning and we are having doubts on a few issues.

Main issue is our 2 year old grandaughter who we babysit usually at least once a week.
we dont think the dog would harm her intentionally but watching her play yesterday with jack she is rough and could harm her.
a young pup would be far safer in our view even though that intails all the extra work with housetraining etc.

Because of the doubts we have decided not to adopt her but adopt a much younger puppy dog.
No point in going ahead and regreting it later.
She is a lovely dog and will, im sure, soon find a suitable home.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh John... how beautiful and boy, gonna play on your heart strings for sure ... lovely.

:( Just read your last post ... :( ... you must do what your circumstances tell you is right, but please, if you hear, let us know that she finds a good home too please.... Wish I were in a situation to take her. :(

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry Joy, read my last post....above yours.
Hi John, Yes, I edited my post but you mustn't have seen it. I really hope that your new addition is ideal... you did right to change your mind if not hundred percent certain .... it would have only ended in heartache... Hope you find new puppy soon and will be posting that picture on here. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That seems a shame but you have to trust your instincts.
Hope you soon find the right dog for you. Link Broken

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Btw what is pseudonomas
please? Thank you in advance (y):)

Is similar to MRSA - an infection which is resistant to antibiotics. Can be transferred to humans with impaired immune systems too :(
We had a rescue dog with it and the vets were considering removing the whole of the ear canal (an ablation) as a last resort to cure it. Unfortunately we had to give her back.

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
Is similar to MRSA - an infection which is resistant to antibiotics. Can be transferred to humans with impaired immune systems too :(
We had a rescue dog with it and the vets were considering removing the whole of the ear canal (an ablation) as a last resort to cure it. Unfortunately we had to give her back.

Ok, I understand....many kind thanks for taking the time to explain. (y):)

M

Madwife

Deleted User
You need to go with your instincts and wise decision. Hopefully she will get a new home very soon.

Kath

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back