Free Member
May 17, 2013
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
I need to have a driveway constructed for my Motorhome, the area is quiet large so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with laying a couple of strips (concrete?) for the Motorhome and for the rest using fleximas type ground reinforcing mats? So the grass can grow and drainage maintained but i could also use this area to park my car. Do any caravan sites use this on their sites?

Thanks for your advice

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We used grid force for our drive for our rv. Laid a solid compacted hardcore base then laid the grid force on top securing each one to the other and periodically securing into the base. We then filled with gravel but you can lawn seed it. It's used a lot by councils and commercial businesses. Our rv is 7.5tonne and the drive is fabulous.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
We stayed on a Dutch camp site
Where they had done that on each pich.
Worked very well.
Our friends also did this at there house.
They dont have ant problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Diamondcub

Diamondcub

Free Member
May 17, 2013
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
We used grid force for our drive for our rv. Laid a solid compacted hardcore base then laid the grid force on top securing each one to the other and periodically securing into the base. We then filled with gravel but you can lawn seed it. It's used a lot by councils and commercial businesses. Our rv is 7.5tonne and the drive is fabulous.
Thank you Allan I will give them a call

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
My Bolero stands on 2 concrete strips with shingle in between, beside our bungalow, my car stands behind it.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

You obviously need some Tarmac..... I happen to have load left over from a job........ can do it cheap.......... for cash.............

;)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We bought ours from a local builders merchant as they had a good price.
. We did it about a year ago now and the gravel has settled so needs a top up which we will do in the spring.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Currently in the process of converting our frontage for parking... Using the self draining ground reinforcement method....
The Moho parks where the spoil heap is...

OP
OP
Diamondcub

Diamondcub

Free Member
May 17, 2013
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
when I had my drive done I got 80mm driveway bricks from marshells of off ebay, they have a shop on there for B grade stuff thier clearing

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Wow that is some groundwork, a much bigger job than I was anticipating. Did you use a driveway contractor

The "contractor"... Is..... Li'l o' moi..

Dug by hand ... The 14tonne payload lorry with grab - had to make two trips to remove the spoil heap !!..

The amount of "dig".. Spoil removal will depend upon the type of groung you have... Because it's the sub-base that's important for any "loading" ...

Also you "should" use MOT type 3 hardcore for self draining - MOT type 1 is the commonest... Type 3 is not usually stocked at local merchants etc...

Type 3 has reduced "fines".. If you live in an area that requires SUDS, or sustainable urban drainage systems - it's a must.. ( we don't but i'm still using it) see @grasscutter 's post above.. regarding the Regs in some areas..

OP
OP
Diamondcub

Diamondcub

Free Member
May 17, 2013
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
The "contractor"... Is..... Li'l o' moi..

Dug by hand ... The 14tonne payload lorry with grab - had to make two trips to remove the spoil heap !!..

The amount of "dig".. Spoil removal will depend upon the type of groung you have... Because it's the sub-base that's important for any "loading" ...

Also you "should" use MOT type 3 hardcore for self draining - MOT type 1 is the commonest... Type 3 is not usually stocked at local merchants etc...

Type 3 has reduced "fines".. If you live in an area that requires SUDS, or sustainable urban drainage systems - it's a must.. ( we don't but i'm still using it) see @grasscutter 's post above.. regarding the Regs in some areas..
Thanks for the advice on the sub base.
I will get my shovel out later
No, come to think of it, does anyone know of a good man near Basingstoke

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Our local Council has a web page devoted to new driveways with helpful advice and regulations.

I think the surface geology in the Basingstoke area is sands/gravels. If so, you should be able to use a reduced thickness of subbase. However, it may be advisable to lay a geotextile (such as Terram) on the subgrade before laying the subbase.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Surprised no-one has raised covenants. I know you park your car there but ensure there are no restrictions on parking caravans/large vehicles with either the local council or your property deeds.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back