New digital cxamera - advice please

Discussion in 'Photography' started by magbrin, Jul 31, 2011.

1. magbrin

magbrin Read Only Funster

I am wanting to buy a new camera, and thought I would start looking for advice here!
    My main uses would be for view/lanscapes/seascapes/sunsets and close up photographs of plants/wildflowers. There would also be some use for people - particularly the Grandbaby, and wildlife so a good zoom is also important.
    At the moment I have a fairly basic Sony digital, which has taken some good pictures, but fails on very close up flowers and does not have as wide an angle veiw, or close a zoom as I would prefer, and I would like a viewfinder as well as the preview screen.
    I think that I could get a digital SLR that would suit my needs, but this would be both expensive and heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to possible sites/forums which could guide me? I feel sure that there is a camera out there, made for me, but it is where to begin............. Also any magazines that would help?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The same issue I have..

My Nikon SLR is heavy and I was looking for a lightweight SLR, I can't get on with compacts with no viewfinder..

This looks like a good contender .. http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/LUMIX+Digital+Cameras/Overview/LUMIX+G1+-+Like+an+SLR,+only+SMLR/1567142/index.html

My wife Jan uses a Panasonic compact and it takes excellent photos.. but with no view finder I find it hard to use..

3. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Fuji HS10 or HS20 both 30X ZOOM any good ? Not as expensive as SLR type and photos and zoom are good.

4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I was nearly warned off of an SLR digital.

I wouldn't be swayed and Nikki bought me the Olympus e450 for xmas.

I love it and it takes some great pics. I am slowly reading digital SLR forums and my photography is improving all the time. Try reading on line digital photography magazine, its quite useful.

I am now nearly ready for my next lens, know what a histograph is and the Olympus has a view finder as well and a video facility that I have never used.

A reasonable price too. :thumb:

5. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

I have just bought one of these:

Panasonic Lumix FZ45

I used to work as a photographer many years ago and I have been very involved with photography since I was a schoolboy.
    I just couldn't get to grips with digital cameras, for some reason; the early models were so bad that they put me right off.

Anyway, the camera I've just bought is a 'bridge camera', like an SLR in the functions it offers but without changeable lenses.
    The lens it has, though, gives super wide-angle capability and a zoom that equates to a 600mm lens on a 35mm camera (more than I'll ever use!)
    And all for around £200. :thumb:
    I've only had it a few days but I am unexpectedly impressed.

(My kids are learning photography now, with some old SLRs, 35mm film and wet technology. Much more satisfying.. :BigGrin:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I've got a Panasonic GF2 - utterly brilliant camera. Have a look at one on line. Not cheap but very good indeed

7. Oldroadies

Oldroadies Read Only Funster

I bought a Canon Powershot SX210 IS digital, it is not too bulky (pocket size) has a 14 optical zoom and 14.1 megapixel, I am well pleased with it, nice and basic for the less photgraphic minded like me, but has lots of options too for techies. I got it from Amazon for £157.50 so it was a real bargain, we recently went to a music festival and it zoomed right up to the stage from well over 150ft away, takes mega sunsets and close ups!:Smile:

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

My Canon Ixus 95IS is a compact with a viewfinder and travels everywhere on my belt. I have 'better' cameras but of course they are never with me when I want them. Zoom range is very limited at 3:1 (optical) but there has to be some penalty for portability.

9. magbrin

Thanks to you all for your help.
    Will be spending the evening researching:Smile:
    Will no doubt have lots more queries - and will get back in a day or two, with them.

10. abforfun

abforfun Funster

Hi I"ve done photography for over 44yrs I would go for a Digital SLR and the best you can afford Nikon or Canon are the leaders and you"ll not go wrong with either plenty of choice of lens for every thing you want.
    Go and talk to your local camera shop [ London camera exchange] at least
    they know wat they are talking about.
    Happy Snapping:thumb:

11. 656

656 Read Only Funster

The best available is Leica V-lux 30 Ok it costs around £550 BUT, it would be the last one you would ever buy and the residuals would be very good!

12. artona

artona

How much is your budget Magbrin and what are you looking to do with the photographs you take?

13. magbrin

Good question:BigGrin:
    Mainly as records - days out, holidays, etc - including a catalogue of wild flowers - stored on computer with prints of some of the best, but as we have a small shop in the highlands and as I have taken some good pictures on my little Sony, I have an inclination to take, print, frame and hopefully sell some local landscapes and (because the shop is part of a herb and wildflower nursery) maybe some wild flower photographs.

Budget circa £500 +/- £100 (more minus I suspect:Sad:) I think, having had a look at all the cameras so far suggested, I need to make my list of priorities and identify something that will fit the bill. I am not in a hurry, and will be flying out to the States later in the year. Am thinking that I might get something either at the airport (as long as I know by then what I want) or, indeed, while we are in USA. Does anyone have any experience of buying cameras in America or know if they are still value for money? I bought my first very early digital camera in Boston about 12 years ago:Blush:

14. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Canon G11

or

Nikon P7000 (which I own)

Both excellent

15. artona

artona

I left school 30 odd years ago Magbrin to join a newspaper as a photographer and I have been shooting professionally ever since. I love big cameras and currently shoot with a Nikon D2X and a a Canon D1.

I shoot portraits, all with studio flash so these out dated cameras give me all the quality I need. Bear in mind they were £4500 each when new so they are very much top end.

They are big though and I don't often carry them around for holiday snaps, for those I use an Iphone4......

There is some talk about the new Lumix G3. I love the "proper" looking lens on it over the Canon G11.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcg3/ Lumix G3 report

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong11/ Canon G3 report

How big are you looking to blow up the images of the flowers?

stew

16. kkclassic

kkclassic

Hi

The new DSLR Nikon D5100 16.2mp and a range of lens to suit pocket and need. 4 frames a second and aslo full 1020p HD video.

It will point and shoot or blow your mind with all the bells and whistles it is capable of.

Kevin and Tricia

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

no doubt.. but can it detect sleeping gas :Eeek: ... ? :Laughing:

18. magbrin

Probably A5, A4 max.

Should be working ........................ will research mor tonight, and thangs again to you all for assistance:Smile:

19. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

I have used everything from biscuit-tin pinhole cameras to 10x8 plate cameras and these 'mirrorless' cameras, as Stew mentions, are the first digital cameras that have impressed me.

Image quality comparable to (argue amongst yourselves :BigGrin: ) a DSLR but much smaller, lighter and faster (argue amongst yourselves :BigGrin: :BigGrin: ).

Last week I was in the pleasant position of being able to spend as much money as I desired on a camera and I eventually spent £200 on a Panasonic Lumix!

20. kkclassic

kkclassic

I think it only detects the other sort of gas :Blush: :imoutahere:

Kevin and Tricia