New desktop PC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by dylan, Nov 18, 2009.

1. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Thinking of buying a new desktop PC, anyone had any dealings with Cube247 company ?
    What companys to avoid and company recommendations please. :thumb:
    Thank you
    Eileen

2. madbluemad

madbluemad

3. acdcdave

acdcdave Funster

Buying a desktop

Hi Eileen,

I build my own machines so am not the best person to advise on brands. A top brand Dell, HP for example will generally be more expensive but will generally have a better build quality and be more future proof. A few years ago we bought an own brand - Vulcan then - from John Lewis Partnership which was very good value. Fabulous quality machine with amazing build quality, I rebuilt it recently for my sister in law who is a beginner. Their support and guarantee are also very good. For the PC brands, from what I hear Dell take some beating for value.

Good luck, Dave

4. MIN663

MIN663 Read Only Funster

Hi, Totally agree with Dave,

Had 2 computers both been Dell, bought this one 5 years ago and had no problems in that time.

Bought it direct from their web site but ive seen Dell are now selling through PC World as well.

Min :thumb:

5. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Hi Eileen,

From what I've seen Dell are pretty solid albeit we have had to replace some of the earlier power supplies.They seem pretty well sorted now though.

The components all seem to be solid and known branded items.

I have always built my own up until I decided to go for a laptop..

Then it was HP for me.

We used to have plenty of advent pc's and laptops in for repair.Lots of screens and hard discs.

I'd go for a well known brand.

There's always cost cutting somewhere.If you know what spec you're after look at Dell on line.They very often have "special" deals.

Just look at the all in price INCLUDING delivery first.

As a company all our pc's are Dell.We have a special deal with them.I am not biased because of that.

I have seen many a cheaper unit go noisy early in it's life because of the use of cheaper fans (sleeve bearings) not ball bearing units.Graphics card fans too.Go Passive cooling if at all possible.

Memory is cheap.Buy as much as you can afford.

Remember vat goes back up in January.

I heard there's talk of a possible hike to 20% on the news but is that just speculation?:Doh:

Steve.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  6. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I am a Dell fan..

After 5 laptops, 6 desktops, 2 PDA's. not many issues, besides the last laptop, new PSU and motherboard, all replaced at home by Dell.. Just dont buy them at PC world, you will pay well over the odds..

ShiftZZ

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Dells for me too. Desktops and laptops, great build quality, and you can configure them to the size of your wallet.

8. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

Ah, but then of course there is APPLE

But dont be fooled by the hype. Apple are only any good if you want a trouble free life. If you prefer pantomines and viruses then Apple is not for you.:Smile:

9. Molls-Phot

Molls-Phot Funster

I would buy an Apple Mac. You pay a small premuim but then I'm a great believer in you get what you pay for. Easy to use and no need to worry about viruses and the like.

If you're after a compact PC though have a look at a Shuttle.

10. Manouche

Manouche Read Only Funster

11. nozzmoking

nozzmoking Read Only Funster

Another vote from me for Dell.

Have used them in the office alongside Macs for many years and also for home use.

My recommendation would be to get the largest/highest resolution screen, and the most RAM you can afford.

One other thing. I'm pretty heavy on keyboards, i.e. my nails tend to scratch off the letters on the keys, so I used to end up using a felt pen to draw them back in. Dell used to do a 'QuietKey' keyboard which lasts much, much longer. Don't know if they still supply this but worth considering if you do a lot of typing.

12. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

l have an Apple MacBook. Not the cheapest laptop, but it works brilliantly. Simple to use, no viruses, it is fabulous.

13. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Don't get me wrong guys.

I love MACS

But Try getting full compatibility with PC apps without paying a premium?Yes there are Virtual machines and emulators but????

BTW I believe some time ago Bill Gates bought a non-controlling but significant percentage of MAC from his old mate Steve Jobs:Eeek:

Macs definitely multitask better.

The reason they are basically untouched by virus' is that the "hackers" are mainly pc users....

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  14. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

I also build my own for home, but for work I get Dells for the build quality and after sales service if needed, which is very rare.

15. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This is a red herring and it's time it was kicked into the long grass.. for ever .

I have used both Mac and PC .. the only app I really yearn to have on the Mac is Microsoft Autorout , in place of that I have Route 66 , but it's not nearly as good as Autorout.

In saying that, Google maps and Earth are excellent , I have a GPS mouse on Google Earth and it can be used without an internet connection..

Open Office 3 , a FREE app is fully compatible with Microsoft Office ..

As you know Steve, there is a ton of excellent Free apps for Mac .. What other Windoze apps do you need or want to integrate with ?

I will never ever buy another Windoze lappy, the Sony I bought only 18 months ago lies unused in a drawer, I just can't be assed with all the palaver and hassle associated with Windoze. I spent more time doing maintenance than I did using it ..

One gripe I do have is that a lot of new third party software written for the Intel Mac isn't compatible with the PPC Mac

My next machine will be a another Mac.. but that may be many years, my old G4 Power book is still more than capable of doing everything I need.. and more. :BigGrin:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  17. JohnL

JohnL Read Only Funster

Hi I work for a computer company called Novatech, www. Novatech.co.uk , thay have some really good products and are worth a look, plus thier aftersales is pretty good.
    Have a look and tell me what you think.

I have just one question do you use a notebook in your motor home and do you use the internet if so do you use 3g or wireless conncetion on site.

Have a great new year

john