New Decals

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by jezport, Aug 14, 2013.

1. jezport

jezport Funster

The front decals on my van were looking a bit worse for wear, the edges were a bit tatty and they really let my van down.

Although I can apply vinyl pretty well the top sheet of grey was a bit big for me to take on so I decided to let the experts take the job on.

I removed all the old vinyl, which was a major job as it all broke up while removing it. It then left all the glue behind. Getting it all off took about 4 hours work. I then polished the surface and left the rest to the experts.

Here are a few photos, I am very happy with the results.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. jennymaywright

jennymaywright Read Only Funster

That looks really good. Our decals are tatty and we keep meaning to replace them but feel quite daunted at the thought of cleaning them all off and perhaps not getting it clean enough - then the new decals wouldn't stick properly . . . . . . Also, not really sure where to go for decals. Ours is a 2001 Stargazer so probably too old to get like for like replacements so had thought of something decorative to cover where the old decals have been. Any thoughts anyone on where to get them and have them done for us? :Smile:

3. jezport

jezport Funster

He copied my graphics so it won't be a problem getting replacement ones
    ones.

I used a plastic ice scraper and alcohol to remove my old ones. It was only the large grey one that was difficult, the rest were easy.

4. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

if you heat them up wirh hair dryes the glue normaly comes away with the decals and some white spirit to clean up after, bobs tour uncle . you can get decals made at most sign makers who will also fit them . :Wink: stan

5. jezport

jezport Funster

The top decal just broke up. Heat didn't help. I think that UV had caused it to break down

6. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

It looks great. Would love to remove mine as I hate them, think they look really tacky, but I have trouble just keeping the outside almost clean:Sad:And I'm still too scared to go on the roof:Eeek:

P.S Anyone know a ballpark figure for removal and cleaning? Don't wAnt them replaced.

7. Steve_UK

Steve_UK Read Only Funster

The scraper to remove the old ones, and the alcohol to make the time go faster? :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  8. jezport

jezport Funster

If they are not large areas of vinyl then its a job anyone can do. It was the wide grey top area that took me the longest time to remove. The rest was easy.

9. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I can manufacture the original Autocruise names in any size or colour that you need.
    I spent 30 years manufacturing graphics and can still produce a lot upon demand.
    Just let me know if I can help.
    Wilf (Durham)