NEW COOKER CAUGHT 0N FIRE - WHERE DO WE STAND? (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
No this may not have been picked up, but if a leak was there on installation it would probably effect the flame picture and been noticed by a gasman

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi
The leak did not show up on testing as it only leaked when the oven was on--------the leak is hidden behind pop-riveted panels-------surely this would have been picked up when manufacturer tested it after assembly if it was so easy to detect??-------we are NOT looking for anything other than a safe working cooker-----but we do need to use the van
It was quite an expensive one from a reputable manufacturer----surely it is not expecting too much to have it work correctly ???
Pop rivet panels I would assume would not be expected
To be removed
At any time in the life of the appliance

As the manufacturer has sealed it against tamper
And would/should of tested against leak

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If I have read it right, the oven / hob has had a fire, small by the sound of it with no other damage to the MH (thankfully) the supplier has referred you directly to Dometic who are coming out to inspect, does it matter who inspects, a replacement is the only outcome, the only issue is who pays for it

We had a very similar situation at home some years ago, bought 3 convector heaters for a new conservatory, something went wrong inside one and it dripped the cable outer onto our brand new carpet, local supplier referred us directly to the heater manufacturers (Belling I think) they came out and initially offered a replacement heater (about £30) but then I pointed out / reminded them about the £200 carpet, they replaced heater and sent cheque for £200

Yours seems much simpler and I am sure Dometic will replace it FOC presuming there is nothing else obviously wrong in the opinion of Dometic when inspected, although the supplier may be the correct reference, they may know nothing about the actual fitting / use of what they sell, therefore the manufacturers would seem much better placed to deal with this, hence them passing it straight to them

I would be quite happy with the way it is heading if it were me, presuming the fitting cant be blamed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a BBQ point fitted into a previous new MH by a certain 'large dealer' ... or it was then! Anyway, in due course we had a leak and a fire due to one of the joints not being done properly so it came apart ... queue 5ft blow torch in the camper! It was NOT a pleasant experience and fortunately we and the MH survived - mainly due to the fact that I'd previously put a load of insulation material in the back of the lower kitchen cupboard to reduce the cold coming in - it was towards the front of this cupboard where the leak occurred and the insulation meant so it couldn't 'escape' into the rest of the kitchen unit and set the whole thing alight, however it did melt the fridge door/side frame, charr the door/surround and some of the wiring/piping did get a bit crispy! The BBQ install had been done by a 'professional' gas technician but was totally and utterly condemned by the (then) Corgi engineer who inspected it afterwards and made them remove the whole installation and replace it ... so even professionals can get it wrong!

If the fault is definitely within the unit itself then it needs to be returned and replaced under warranty, ideally from a different manufacturing batch - I certainly would NOT accept a repair on it - if one bit is faulty there's nothing to say other bits aren't too!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> NEW COOKER CAUGHT 0N FIRE - WHERE DO WE STAND?

A long long way away.

Well you've had the boring answers now.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
H&S advice which says that they should be trained and competent.. that is open to interpretation..
or just a very competent DIYer .. are we competent ?
That's the important bit, competence, which will be decided by a court of law when something goes wrong
If installed by an approved gas engineer
(Gas Safe) his/her competence has been confirmed in the eyes of the law, if they have been incompetent they are liable not you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Where do you stand?

Well back I would of thought......... ;0)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back