NEW BRITSTOP

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jenny and mitch, Jun 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Jennies sister has a Pub in Norfolk (near Wymondham) which she has registered with "Britstop".
    It's called the "Cherry Tree" and it is in Wicklewood.
    The address is 116 High Street.
    Postcode NR18 9QA.
    Free parking, just use the pub.
    I hope this doesn't break any Funclub rules ! ?
    But it takes a while to get in "The book".
    Mitch.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

I think naming the Britstop breaks Britstop's rules ? - they have to be referred to by a number from what we've witnessed on here so far.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigtwin

bigtwin Funster

An implied obligation to use the pub also breaks Britstops' rules!

Ian

4. chaser

chaser Funster

Reading this post, and although we have Keith's pub stops on here, and Britstops probably wouldn't like it but what about having mh fun pub stops, if you know of a good one , tell us on here(y)

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes it does.. and correct

but it's new member, so won't have a number until the 2017 book comes out..

I see no harm in advertising it for this year ..

• Like Like x 10
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Nor me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Thanks Folks.
    Mitch. x

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    I see no harm in naming it at any time, registered with 'Britstops'?

A member finds a pub that will allow overnight stops, lets other members know about it and then kindly lets 'Britstops' know about it, what right does that give to 'Britstops' to try and stop open publication of the information?

• Like Like x 12
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

I'm afraid Britstops have no right to stop anyone telling someone else that you can park at a pub, and from the pubs perspective just because they have signed up they are not going to spite themselves by stopping someone who isn't a member from parking.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

On a more general note.. we bought the 2016 BS book but feel that paying £30 every year for it is too expensive... Once joined, I would be happy to pay an annual subscription.. say £10 ..

also, I feel the the book format is old fashioned, and no doubt expensive to publish.. I would prefer it to be on-line and with a phone app like Campercontact, it is really good.. it has annual fee of £4.50 , the online site is free

I appreciate the work done to compile it is not insignificant, but if it is to grow and be successful, I think it has to appeal to a wider audience, be more affordable and be accessible on an app...

Who remembers the Big Pitch Guide.. a one man operation to compile and publish a book of sites with pitches suitable large motorhomes. ?

It was owned, produced and published by a Fun member, Dick.. but he gave it up.. sold it .. and it has since been abandoned .. shame .. if it had been on-line it may have prospered.. as it was.. I think it it cost too much to produce, was too much work for one man.. could never make any real money.. or even break even..

I hope BS doesn't go the same way.. but I feel it has to modernise, be more affordable.. and more accessible..

just my thoughts.. ..

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 18
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Certainly agree about having Britstops as an App, as the book and maps are bulky, and go out of date so quickly.
    An app could be updated continuously and would remove the need for printing and posting an expensive book.

Also think the idea of a lower renewal fee is a great idea

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Same as All the Aires - they didn't invent them but once in their book they say it is copyrighted and mustn't be reproduced.

13. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Spoken like a true Scotsman .

Vlad

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I mentioned something about it being over-priced on here recently and was roundly taken to task by someone. I think the gist of their argument was the Britstops founders needed to earn a living so they had to charge a high price. I'm not sure that's quite how businesses are supposed to work, customers don't owe the business owner any obligation. If a product is good (which Britstops is) and the price is right (I don't believe it is) then it will sell.

But it does sell of course, we bought one. Won't buy another for a while though. They should look at the CamperContact model and have an app with an annual subscription and the ability for folk to submit reviews and new places.

• Like Like x 3
  15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Copyright subsists in any qualifying work but it is the make-up of the work (e.g. a book) itself which copyright applies to and not the information which it contains.

When we had our family history business we used to publish scanned copies of out of copyright directories on CD. The scanned images on the CD and the code which surrounded them to present them on screen was our copyright but that was all. We could not (and did not try to) claim copyright in the original printed book. Thus, anyone copying content direct from one of our CDs (other than for personal use which was licensed) would breach copyright but there was nothing to stop anyone from buying another copy of the original book and producing their own similar CD containing their own original scans.

Thus copying (or otherwise publishing) a copy of a page in a Britstops book would be a breach of copyright but obtaining and publishing the information independently of the book would not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I bought a 2015 book never used it, and now I've gone and brought the 2016 one thinking we would use it looks like it will be for one night. Probably won't bother next year, yes it would be more interesting if you could pay a fiver for online access.

• Like Like x 2
  17. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Well I get updates from Brit stops regarding places that have 'joined' and those who no longer want to be in their book, so if you're a current subscriber to Brit Stops then you should get latest information.

18. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Which is exactly why I get Pi$$ed off when a member asks for a stopover in a particular area and certain Funsters ,who have obviously paid for a resource won't in the name of fun let others benefit.
    The pubs concerned offer a service for Mh's in general not just britstops subscribers .

Vlad

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If people provide information about a place that they know of independently but it just happens to be in the Britstops book as well then it would not be a breach of copyright. However, if people provided that information by taking it directly from a Britstops book it would still be a breach of copyright.

20. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Might be worth @BritStops reading this thread to gauge general feelings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.