New breed of Tomtom and Garmin.....POI's?

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Chockswahay, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I have been looking at the new breed of GPS from both companies and have to say I am a little confused :Blush:

Does anyone know if any of these new one's accept POI's?

Do any of them allow for remote planning on a mac then transfer the route to the GPS?

Pros and cons of either make?

I DO want quality :Cool:

Cheers :thumb:

2. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Somebody must have SOMETHING to say surely :Wink::Wink:

3. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Maybe no one knows anything about them.
    I certainly don't. :Blush:
    Sorry.

I'm sure someone will answer you eventually. :thumb:

4. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Do you mean 3rd party POI's such as Aires or supermarkets for instance?
    In my Tomtom Start 25 the web application that's used with it has a section called "community content".

I simply download the POI files to a suitable location in my pc and use the the community content button to locate and install it on my Tomtom.

Apologies if that's not what you mean.

5. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

That is exactly what I mean :thumb: As it happens the Start 25 is on my short list, what do you think of it?

:Smile::Smile:

6. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

I've been using GPS devices for many years starting with pocket pc's. I was an early adopter as it's always fascinated me.

I can honestly say that the Start 25 is the best device I've ever used. Having said that, my customised voice speed camera warnings have disappeared:cry: but I'm confident I can get them back, I just muck about with things too much for my own good!

If you haven't had a look on here:
    www.pocketgpsworld.com
    it may worthwhile checking it out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Just realised I meant the Start 60 (big screen for old eyes :Wink:) but the same thing in principle :BigGrin:

8. cranky

cranky Funster

I went for Garmin as they were on special at Halfords last year. Dont remember the model number off hand but it accepts poi's and is fairly simple to use (it has to be for me!) There was a lot of info on another forum, MMM I think, about different models and how to put poi's on.

9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

They're illegal now in France, and TomTom are a Dutch company, so they've probably been removed as a matter of policy.

10. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

11. chaser

chaser Funster

Probably not what you want to know, but before you buy a dedicated sat nav , have a look at a nexus 10 tablet or similar , you get a 10 inch screen and there are various navigation apps you can use, I use navfree and it is far better than any satnav I have ever had and I've had a few used to have them on test where I worked for an electrical wholesaler and they are updated as you use them, all free.
    Plus the fact you get all the other gizmos that come with a tablet, google search , earth and all the aire apps:Smile:

12. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Both Tom Tom and Garmin have support lines-so no doubt they could tell you everything you want to know :BigGrin:
    I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490 and love it-except for the fact that you can't set 'alerts' for custom POI's whereas with Tom Tom's of the same era,you can.
    Good luck,
    Mike

13. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I have an Asus 'phablet' and tried using it with Co-Pilot and GoogleMaps but too be frank I have had enough with all the faffing about. So for me it's got to be a dedicated device. :Smile:

14. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

As it happens Mike it was one of your earlier posts a while back that made me think what a good idea that is ! I like the idea of cruising along and 'stumbling' across Aires :Smile:

This is one of my concerns, do the 'new' breed have alerts etc?

:Smile:

15. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

I'm referring to the speed camera POI's I downloaded specifically for the UK. As far as I know
    the current Tomtom software updates remove the advance warning "bleeps" from the French maps, although what you say is interesting as I only noticed this when I returned from France.

Worth investigating further along those lines:thumb:

16. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't want to labour the point but have a look at the navfree app it's free and so easy to use, not like google maps , its just a satnav, never loses its way and if you go off route it recalculates immediately , no waiting or going on about u turns, and it covers the world not just uk:Smile:

17. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

This app is really very good, I've installed it as a back up on my iphone and it works well in the UK. Didn't work so well in France though and I'm not sure why.

For people who don't want to to go to the expense of a dedicated GPS device this is a very useful alternative.
    The walking option is also useful in town.

18. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

I've got the Via 125 & this is my third Tomtom, tried a Garmin & didn't like it, but maybee that was because I was used to Tomtom's.
    Alerts can be turned off or on as you wish.
    French speed cameras are now shown as "Hazards" but come on earlier & don't show the exact location.
    Hope this helps.