New Benimars

Discussion in 'Benimar' started by Tezza, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Tezza

Tezza Funster

Good evening

We have just bought the new Benimar Mileo 286 and would love to hear from anyone with a Mileo range van to understand what you think of these vans, good or bad. As my model is a new addition this year I have nothing to work with re how these vans stand up to use, where things are etc, we have had Swifts for the past 12 years so this manufacturer is new to us and everything seems so different.

Tezza

2. Howard H

Howard H Funster Life Member

Hi Tezza ,we are picking a new benimar mileo 294 up at 10.30 tomorrow at marquis at Preston so I will let you know of any problems we have via this site .It would be interesting to hear how you get on with your new benimar

3. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

We have had ours from nearly new (300km on clock) now for 4 years and very pleased wit it. I have added a few things like solar, extra batteries, Sat system and removed bike rike from rear. The base is a Ford Transit 2.2L Duratorq TDCi (140PS) and goes really well. Enjoy your new MH and have lots of fun and laughter.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Howard H

Benimar picked up problem number one can't get in through the habitation door the man showing did not seem to struggle to much but to us with arthritis in the hands it seems almost impossible but we got it home and drenched the lock in wd40 an hopefully will loosen off . Problem number two and it's not really a fault but a design feature the grey waste dumps from under the middle of the van somewhere just rear of the axle so that should be a laugh on site

6. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

The door should open with ease, might just be newness and as for the grey waste we have no problem with it centre rear, just as wife to guide me over drain. Having said that watched French MH just stop near drain and............ dump!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Howard H

I am sure it will ease I can now open it with two hands now ,my only worry with the waste is all but one of the sites I have been on bar one (Chester) have had the grids near the kerb but I am sure there are ways and means around this :xgrin:

8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Our Chausson was like that but we fitted an extension piece on so it now discharges at the rear of the van and can have an additional extension to take to the near or off side. It was very easy to do using off the shelf plumbing bits.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Howard H

I think that might be the answer will have a look underneath when I can find a dry patch to lie on but at this rate that might be next year;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tezza

Tezza Funster

Hi Howard, glad you picked it up OK, our door was stiff but if you hold the handle and put your thumb ( if you can) up, the thumb then seems to work against your hand to open the door more easily.
    I am also not sure about the waste dump, my swift was a lot easier to empty.
    Well impressed with the radio, not lost any signal yet, also the sat nav and camera location software, the camera is taking a time to get used to, but measured it out last weekend and when the image reaches the point of the bumper we are still 2ft away hitting anything, so getting there with that.
    As we are on the lowered sports chassis I did notice that when over hanging a parking bay onto a grass verge we are very close to the corner steadies, so will have to watch that in the future.
    The heating is fab, gets very hot very quickly but the hot water takes a time to heat up.
    Fiat engine is a joy to drive, the van seems very heavy around town but on the motorway she is so easy, our choice so not a complaint.
    So far no complaints good build front to back, except for the carpet which wont clip in and we are waiting for a replacement, but not the end of the world, oh and the wardrobes above the garage are very cold, great for the beer but not my PJ's.

Tezza

• Like Like x 2
  11. Howard H

Hi Tezza,glad you are getting on with your new mh ,we are getting use to ours but won't get to use it properly until Saturday when we are going to our local site for a night to try it out.Our door is coming to now and can be opened with one hand so that's good the only thing I feel I might have to change in the future is that great big table I am sure it's got bigger than we bought it at the NEC .I have found that YouTube is more informative than the handbooks and have just come in after getting my head around the heating system it all works quicker on gas rather than electric any way I will keep you informed of any problems we have .

• Like Like x 1
  12. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

I cut our table down a little, which makes a great difference as there is only two of us. We also put table away when driving and when not in use, helps make the sitting area look bigger.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Howard H

Hi Don Quixote, yes I think that is my plan but I think this table is fixed it does slide about but I don't think it is removable .I will bide my time as everybody seems to think the table is to big so somebody will bring a replacement table out ,don't think I am capable of doing a good enough job .

14. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Howard, I did not know it's fixed. Might be with going to local kitchen fitter and asking them for a price to make you a custom top and you should be able to unscrew top and refit and then keeping original.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Howard H

That is a great idea we have some work going to start in our house kitchen in the new year so will get them to have a look:)

16. Tezza

Tezza Funster

Hi Howard, Don

Yeah forgot about the table, we put it up and down as needed (not fixed) but I know at some point it is going to have my toes, so heavy. I found the Truma website superb, very informative and easy to understand.
    Good luck for the weekend, we have had two weekends, 1 down to vanbitz when we bought it and last week to mid wales to try to understand her before we go off for the New Year.

Terry

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Tezza

Tezza Funster

Hi Howard, Don

Yeah forgot about the table, we put it up and down as needed (not fixed) but I know at some point it is going to have my toes, so heavy. I found the Truma website superb, very informative and easy to understand.
    Good luck for the weekend, we have had two weekends, 1 down to vanbitz when we bought it and last week to mid wales to try to understand her before we go off for the New Year.

Terry

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Howard H

Thanks Don we will enjoy this weekend I am sure ,the site is only about 10 miles away from home and then only about 10 miles away from marquis Preston so everything covered . Just booked for Chester cc site for a few days between Christmas and new year so by then we will have every thing sorted before the foreign tours next year. Let's us know if you have any problems I should keep an eye on I will do the same .:xgrin:

Sorry ment to send this to Tezza :xsad::xThumb:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  19. Tezza

Tezza Funster

Don

Apologies for the intrusion I need to uprate the van to increase my payload, (Howard you may need to watch the loading too), the van has been down rated to 3500, but at 320kg the payload is no good, I need the 520 stated on the Benimar brochure would you know, if my plates say front axel 1850 and rear 2000, what can I increase to? Brochure says 3650, is this the max I can do as a FOC paperwork exercise?

Terry

PS, I went to the local weigh bridge today and loaded with the usual things minus the wife, clothes, food deck chairs etc, I did have just under half a tank of water and just under half a tank of fuel, we came in at 1850kg rear axel and 1440kg front axel, 3400kg all in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Howard H

Not had chance to weigh my van yet but before I bought it I thought the payload was low so we opted for the the free upgrade to 3650 kg , the next upgrade was to about 4000kg but that cost money and as we travel very light I did not think we needed it .At 3400kg you are pretty close to the limit might be worth enquiring about the upgrade.
    Regards Howard