New BBC Satellite Service for Europe (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think that motorhomefun are first to break the news about a new BBC partnership that will see all your favourite BBC programs broadcast all over Europe and beyond. It's a subscription service and its presently limited to some KVH, Megasat and Travelvistion systems. For those Eastenders addicts, this might be just the tonic More details here> Talk Motorhomes Magazine

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
£15 a month is a bit steep! :Eeek:

i assume its encrypted so needs a decoder box, i thought the systems mentioned in the article were for receiving free sat channels. but, happy to be shown otherwise.

a good idea to make it legal and available i just question the cost for limited program access

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you can buy it by the month it is worth considering but I wonder if they will be the new programmes - or will it be like so many satellite channels in the UK and be repeats from long ago? Some of which are worth watching and we do - must have seen Tony Robinson's Digs a hundred times now!

Can't say I understand the dish requirements but no doubt someone will explain in due course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
£180 per year. :ROFLMAO: For the BBC. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Thanks, I will go without. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
£180 per year. :ROFLMAO: For the BBC. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Thanks, I will go without. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Many people will. It is a solution for some.

Many people don't realise that they are breaking the law watching TV in their Motorhomes and caravans illegally, as they should have a licence for their vans.

We should go online and sign a declaration that no one at the house where the licence is held, is simultaneously viewing as those in the van. So anyone with kids at home is breaking the law!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

Many people don't realise that they are breaking the law watching TV in their Motorhomes and caravans illegally, as they should have a licence for their vans.

We should go online and sign a declaration that no one at the house where the licence is held, is simultaneously viewing as those in the van. So anyone with kids at home is breaking the law!

glad we dont have kids to leave at home ( got their own )..... for more reasons than TV license :Blush:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm fairly confident of getting ASTRA2E once I get on my travels again in seven weeks and two days, but will report back. I'm trying a few things whilst on tour.

As for this service, if it could be for a month only, I'd probably do it if all other options fail.

Russell

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
This could be via monthly as they have just done with the new Euro BBC Iplayer launched recently, this would make sense.

On Astra 2 we get the BBC here but I guess that's it's normal satellite ?

Why not just use the internet based services ? although that does assume a good wifi connection.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Doesn't include Oyster 85 cm dishes and our sat box is a Micron even though we had requested an Oyster sat system from the dealer!

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
BBC Entertainment has been around for years - it is not new.
It is designed for Expats.

It is on 9 east (IIRC).

The subscription direct from BBC Enterianment is a lot cheaper - assuming you have a compatible receiver...

FOR NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS THE TOTAL AMOUNT DUE IS: £138.00
(Annual Subscription is £85 + Smart Card Administration Fee of £30 + UK Value Added Tax at 20%)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

It is on 9 east (IIRC).

I think whats new is the agreement that CA Clase have struck with the BBC allowing them to sell subscriptions to UK customers for BBC E via mobile sat receivers for motorhomes and boats.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

It is on 9 east (IIRC).

The subscription direct from BBC Enterianment is a lot cheaper - assuming you have a compatible receiver...

FOR NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS THE TOTAL AMOUNT DUE IS: £138.00
(Annual Subscription is £85 + Smart Card Administration Fee of £30 + UK Value Added Tax at 20%)

Can a UK resident buy it direct?

As far as I'm aware it has to be tied to a particular address and the address cannot be in the UK. So this new agreement with the BBC will allow them to sell to UK customers for mobile installations. But I'm not 100% sure. I just saw a press release from the NEC show and have no connection with the company at all, I'll call them tomorrow though:thumb:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The one we have is a BBC Iplayer App from the iTunes store, think it was launched about a year or so ago. It's quite convenient on an iPad although it's no replacement for a regular tv service if you want to follow specific programs.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you can buy it by the month it is worth considering but I wonder if they will be the new programmes -[HI] or will it be like so many satellite channels in the UK and be repeats from long ago? [/HI]Some of which are worth watching and we do - must have seen Tony Robinson's Digs a hundred times now!

Can't say I understand the dish requirements but no doubt someone will explain in due course.

you just hit the nail on the head......

Some of the programmes found on this channel include:

Absolutely Fabulous
Blackadder
Call The Midwife
Doctor Who
Eastenders
Faulty Towers
Gavin & Stacey
Hustle
Inspector Lynley Mysteries
Jam & Jerusalem
Keeping Up Appearances
Lark Rise To Candleford
My Family
New Tricks
One Foot In The Grave
Penelope K, by the way
The Diamond Queen
Robin Hood
Strictly Come Dancing
The Royale Family
Unforgiven
Vicar Of Dibley
Waking The Dead
Extras
Drop Zone

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years

not according to this ;
Motorhomes and Touring Caravans
Touring caravans used for touring from place to place and motor vehicles do not need a separate TV Licence providing a licence is held at your main address.
taken from here ;

After originally being told by the TV license people that I needed one years ago I paid up but later came across a clause on their own website more or less stating as above, after pointing it out to them they sent me a full refund.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
not according to this ;
Motorhomes and Touring Caravans
Touring caravans used for touring from place to place and motor vehicles do not need a separate TV Licence providing a licence is held at your main address.
taken from here ;

After originally being told by the TV license people that I needed one years ago I paid up but later came across a clause on their own website more or less stating as above, after pointing it out to them they sent me a full refund.

seems you need a licence for your van if you have people at home watching your regular TV, no if you don;t http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ30

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well at least someone in the trade is bring proactive to help the majority of people who want some English TV when touring around.

Not every one has the time, skills set or inclination to "tweak this" or "download that" to achieve what they want.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out, but at least one supplier is trying to improve things.

ronita

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
since 2007
We think its a cheap option and would be very pleased to pay.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Forgot to add that with the iTunes app you can subscribe per month so you don't need to pay all year if you only use it 2 months.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've had contact with the suppliers of this new service. They confirmed;

The broadcast is from Eurobird 9A. The access to BBC Entertainment is controlled via a smart card, only available by an annual subscription.

They confirmed the BBC world news is not encrypted but does require a license to watch and customers will have option to buy license for either or both ( World News and BBC E)

And it seems I was right in my assumption that you can only purchase it direct if you reside abroad. This new agreement the BBC have made with CA Clase is for fully mobile use with the card delivered to a UK address enabling you for the first time to easily and legally receive those BBC channels while touring abroad.

For further info sales@caclase.co.uk 02392 261950

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Talked to the man on CA Clase stand NEC,Eastenders will be THREE weeks in arrears,he also said he would not be surprised if the BBC will see it as a money spinner and update/tweak it in the future. He did a rough calculation and the expats abroad x £1??? whatevers will pull in as much if not more than the licence fees at home.
I rest my case/feet/dog and wallet.
Tea Bag.
PS. We bought a kettle........

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We are one of the few that have a TV licence for our MotorHOME. We full time so pay as any other UK household. We have been full time since 2009. We have no other UK home.

TV Licence people have our Reg No. linked to the licence. The address on it is our UK contact address. The first one in 2009 had the motorhome reg. in the address section.

Now that we can not receive programs while touring abroad I don't see the point of paying. Joan however says it is not worth cancelling it for this year as we will be back inside the footprint by April.

The BBC used to pride itself on providing up to date, accurate ,news to the word, freely. Now it seems the accountants have won.

We have not just lost BBC.
What next a similar fee to receive ITV content and another fee for Chanel 4 group content and then Chanel 5 group content?

Last edited:

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Licence.
Licensee.
Licences. (plural)
Licensed. "It" has been licensed, e.g. licensed premises
Licensing
All the above are the correct English spelling.

[STRIKE]
License
[/STRIKE] Unless American.
Do not confuse licence with license. Licence is a noun which means 'a permit to do something' ( a driving licence), whereas license is a verb meaning 'give a permit to someone; allow something' ( the loggers are licensed to cut mahogany trees). In American English, both the noun and the verb are spelled license.

[STRIKE]
Licenced
[/STRIKE] Unless you are Luton Borough Council who issued all their taxi plates with the in correct spelling of licensed in 1993. Those plates cost a lot of money.
Lager does not have 2 Rs in it
premises always have the 2 s in it unless it is an idea

I train in the world of licensing I train lots of police officers and the above is normally included at the start of any training course.

No Offence intended but as I work for the Institute of Licensing I get funny about this, not much else bothers me honest!

I should also add that in general my spelling is rubbish.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Licence.
Licensee.
Licences. (plural)
Licensed. "It" has been licensed, e.g. licensed premises
Licensing
All the above are the correct English spelling.

[STRIKE]
License
[/STRIKE] Unless American.
Do not confuse licence with license. Licence is a noun which means 'a permit to do something' ( a driving licence), whereas license is a verb meaning 'give a permit to someone; allow something' ( the loggers are licensed to cut mahogany trees). In American English, both the noun and the verb are spelled license.

[STRIKE]
Licenced
[/STRIKE] Unless you are Luton Borough Council who issued all their taxi plates with the in correct spelling of licensed in 1993. Those plates cost a lot of money.
Lager does not have 2 Rs in it
premises always have the 2 s in it unless it is an idea

I train in the world of licensing I train lots of police officers and the above is normally included at the start of any training course.

No Offence intended but as I work for the Institute of Licensing I get funny about this, not much else bothers me honest!

I should also add that in general my spelling is rubbish.

i think it time to pursue a change of jobs before it gets to you :Blush:

sorry could not resist :ROFLMAO::thumb:

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
I am - buying a campsite in Ireland.
but I bet when I get a copy of the site licence from the Council it will be spelled wrong.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
what happens when foreign motorhomers come over to the uk , are they supposed to buy a tv license for the duration of their holiday?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back