New battery (1 Viewer)

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
Hi there, i need a new 110 battery, do i go for a particular brand etc or will cheapest do? Also any surguestions on where to purchase it from.
thanks

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
It seems that most people only keep their vans for two or three years a, cheap battery will last at least that long. I would measure the space that it fits into then buy the largest amp/hour battery that will go into the space 110 is quite measly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTERNSTAR1

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
THREE YEARS
New batteries

HI.I BOUGHT 2 NEW BATTERIES FROM GLP AUTOMOTIVE ON EBAY.
THE COST INCLUDING DELIVERY WAS JUST OVER HALF PRICE OF MY LOCAL SUPPLIER.
THEY ARE QUALITY VARTA BATTERIES TOO.
CHEERS DON.:thumb:

OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
Any ideas what i should be paying i have found a 113ah for £100

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
Any ideas what i should be paying i have found a 113ah for £100
For that I price I would expect it to have a recognized brand name
I usually just get the orange Juice brand from accessory stores. I found these on a quick trawl free delivery and 2 or 3 year guarantee
Link Removed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I agree with the others, go for the cheapest, don't pay the premium for a brand name, battery warranties aint worth the paper they are written on..

I bought four cheapo 85ah five years ago, £30 each, and they still do the job despite having been hammered for three years full time.. they owe me nothing

For a previous camper I indulged myself and bought a 110ah Electrasol .. ( more fool me )
It failed in year three, when I claimed on the now famous 5 year warranty I was told that I was only entitled to a 2/5 discount on a replacement as it was three years old.. :Angry:

I vowed then never to buy another expensive battery ..

OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
thanks all just got me a £62 110ah platinum battery from local garage.
having run a voltage meter on battery whilst engine is running it is apparent that the battery does not charge whilst engine is running. Is this normal or is something broken? The battery does charge whilst on hook up.

Also should i leave the charger on all the time when parked up on the drive or will this overcharge or damage the battery.

:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as one members signature says......

CHEAP, NO GOOD....

GOOD, NO CHEAP....

buy cheap and you get a cheap, and maybe inferior, battery.

OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
No its not the battery its the lack of charge coming from the engine but i dont know where to start with this one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No its not the battery its the lack of charge coming from the engine but i dont know where to start with this one.

if your van is designed to charge the leisure battery from the engine then i suspect the split charge relay is kaput.

usually found near the engine battery and may look like a regular 12v relay about 1.5 inchs square.

there may be two together...one is for the fridge when the engine is running, the other will be the split charge.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Hi

Start by checking the in-line fuse on the charging cable coming from the alternator and feeding the split charge relay .. it should be easily spotted under the bonnet as it's a retro fit and not part of the original wiring loom.

If that's ok, then check the voltage to the split charge relay at the coil feed, then the input from the alternator and finally output to the battery .. Do this with the engine running ..

If there is a 12v coil feed and input to the relay from the alternator but no output to the battery then its a duff relay ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back