New batteries for A/S VW Trident T4

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lp24, Jan 19, 2011.

1. lp24

lp24 Read Only Funster

I need new batteries (vehicle & leisure) for my A/S VW Trident T4 (2003 model). The vehicle battery is straightforward enough but the leisure battery currently fitted is a normal vehicle battery. I assume this is because it fits in the space under the seat. The nearest similar leisure battery is 10mm taller (190mm instead of 180mm) which would give less clearance to the seat above.

Should I stick with the same type of battery or squeeze in a leisure battery instead? How much clearance is needed above the battery? Why are batteries so confusing?

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

You need a standard liesure battery. One of the larger ones! I can give you the exact code tomorrow.

Maybe Peter may know off the top of his head if he is on tonight.

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Sounds like the previous owner or dealer stuck a car battery in.

If it clears the seat, should not be a problem, check the distance between the top of the terminals and bottom of seat.

The leisure types we have are here http://www.johnscross.co.uk/categories/Electrical-240v-12v/Leisure-Batteries/

They might help you decide but all not all of them have measurements, we cannot ship them so look locally.

Peter

4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Handy hint, cover the top of the battery with a rubber car mat, that way if the seat deforms when sat on it won't short out the terminals.:thumb:

5. lp24

lp24 Read Only Funster

Thanks for the advice. The rubber car mat sounds like a good idea. My concern is shorting it out when I sit in the drivers seat. I never like being in the the 'hot seat' :Smile: