new banking virus alert (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's possible this is a valid warning wivvy's dad.

However the only 1st hand source I have seen so far on this is Kaspersky.

http://blog.kaspersky.com/neverquest-trojan-built-to-steal-from-hundreds-of-banks/

I am not too concerned as I use linux and don't install any adobe or Oracle products on my system.

However as a secondary protection I use a bank that uses 2 factor authentication. Basically I have to type in my username on one page. Then my password on a second along with an electronically generated number. This number is is created by a keyfob device uniquely linked to my account. At the end of the session I click the log out button (important).

For a hacker to be able to access my account they would need physical access to my keyfob device.

If your bank offers you one of these devices it is well worth taking them up on the offer and activating it asap.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have the same system gromett what i cant understand if kaspersky knew about this then why didnt they buy the virus and dissect it to find a cure or maybe like it normally is the anti virus companies make the bloody things to sell their products :Smile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I would have thought this would be a problem for the banks!
So how are the banks to know if its the INDIVIDUAL who is accessing the account or a computer?
The Banks have invested large amounts of money in Trusteer, Device profiling, Suspicious Transaction monitoring, yet, some customers have little regard for their own security.
Hang on, one bank even gave away FREE anti virus software. There is only so much that they can do.

Karl, that may work well for you, but you will be in a very very small minority. The rest of the world uses Windows.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I use free Widows essentials security. :thumb:
Also a program called Rapport when logging into sites.

Is this likely to stop it or do I pay for Norton antivirus to do the job.:Eeek:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I am not too concerned as I use linux and don't install any adobe or Oracle products on my system.
Even though Linux is a safer environment than Windows, don't be too complacent. There are Linux viruses out there and they take advantage of complacent users.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
i have the same system gromett what i cant understand if kaspersky knew about this then why didnt they buy the virus and dissect it to find a cure or maybe like it normally is the anti virus companies make the bloody things to sell their products :Smile:

I work for McAfee and they will have all done this already :Smile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
then why hasnt kaspersky sent a fix for the virus mine is always updated but i see no where for a fix for this

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
then why hasnt kaspersky sent a fix for the virus mine is always updated but i see no where for a fix for this

They can't define each one. There are over 1,000,000 out there :Smile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
viruses maybe but we are talking about the 1 kaspersky has done a warming about

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Karl, that may work well for you, but you will be in a very very small minority. The rest of the world uses Windows.

I wasn't recommending everyone move to Linux, simply saying I wasn't too concerned about this particular virus as it is aimed at windows.

My main point in the post was for windows users that 2 factor authentication provides a level of protection that a virus killer can't.

Even though Linux is a safer environment than Windows, don't be too complacent. There are Linux viruses out there and they take advantage of complacent users.
I am not complacent in the slightest. I do this for a living so I am on the guard for security risks all the time. If you see my other posts on this subject you will see that I regularly point out no system is secure even linux. Although linux is more secure by design. If it wasn't for the 2 factor authentication I wouldn't use online banking.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have accounts with a couple of banks:

One has the usual log-in with user ID which then takes you to another page where you put in some memorable info and a pass code. In order to do any money transfers you have to input a code which is sent to the mobile phone registered with that account and you can't change the mobile number without being able to receive the code to authorise it in the first place, so this one hopefully is okay.

The other has a system whereby when you set up a new payee you are given an authentication code and they then ring you on your registered number to confirm it is you who is doing the transfer.

So how can these 'viruses' empty your bank account?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Minx, they don't empty your account as such. They try to get your password and details, and they log in as you.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If they DO manage to log in as you, though, if they can't 'confirm' any payment requests how can they nick your dosh?

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
If they DO manage to log in as you, though, if they can't 'confirm' any payment requests how can they nick your dosh?

I think
they hope to catch information leading to unsecured online accounts

Not all banks use the same security measures

Some greater some lesser

I didn't post it to scare more as information to be aware of
thieves lead the march on security issues

We the law abiding mugs are always playing catch up with thieves in my mind

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> new banking virus alert

After a small glass of red I read that as "
new bonking virus alert" and thought "nothing new about that".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back