New Bailey - the story so far (1 Viewer)

Mar 2, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Lowline coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
Picked up our brand new Bailey Autograph 745 on 1st June this year. So far we have had a new electric fuse box (overheating), a new gas regulator (stopped working), a new window blind (threads snapped), new waste water tap (unusable) and now we have a water tank that refuses to hold water even though there is no evidence of a leak - we've been told that we may need a new control panel! Would I be tempting fate if I said I'm just waiting for the Alde central heating to break down? Despite it all we still love the van (!!) and are just so thankful we decided to buy the van locally - it was touch and go but luckily our local dealer matched the deal offered by another over 300 miles away. Phew! I know it's been said before, but why oh why is it such a minefield to buy a brand new van - I know they've got a bit of a reputation but I can't believe Bailey is the only culprit.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
and now we have a water tank that refuses to hold water even though there is no evidence of a leak - we've been told that we may need a new control panel!
Thats not a new one.......Met a guy last year with exactly the same problem.......:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2016
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We brought our 2014 Bailey in 2015, second hand with 5000 miles on clock. We have had no problems ( previous owner may have sorted :) , dont't know ) except the water " going " not leaking. Our first journeys where distance using motorways and dual carrageways and we noticed no problem, in November we went touring Derbyshire and Linconshire with lots of twisty minor roads resulting in a fresh water loss of 1 litre per mile, it isn't a leak the water comes out of the overflow pipe when you go round a bend ( your couldn't make it up ) The easiest fix is blue tack on the end of the blue pipe when filled. The wife was not impressed being roped underneath whilst I tested this theory ;-)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sounds more like it's siphoning to me. If you're losing enough because of slosh when cornering for the amount to be noticeable either you have a very large overflow pipe or it's continually siphoning. I wouldn't block the breather entirely - expansion / contraction of the water & air in the tank due to temperature change is very likely to cause damage. On the other hand a 5mm hole is adequate as a breather.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2016
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Finally got around to sorting the loss of fresh water from the tank when driving. According to the technical bod at Caktank at the NEC the muppets ( my word not his ) at Bailey have fitted the overflow pipe at the side and not the top centre of the tank like they do, by top fitting the loss is nominal but at the side he said it could be as much as 20%, yep it is! And so to the fix; off to the aquatics shop for a 90 degree elbow, an inline valve and some flexi pipe to join it all together ( £6 ), works great as I have glued the tap to the bottom of the chassis so easy to get at to use. Used Mhome for long weekend, final part of trip was twisty lanes, and no water loss.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back