Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Here's a picture from Autotrail brochure re construction.

Shame it dont work:D sorry could not resist:giggle: hope yours OK but dont like the odds to be honest. The best high end vans use a ring beam system. if you cant see the odds far better with something like a Carthago or Hymer all I can do is wish you luck.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
buying a van shouldn't be a £50k lottery .. AT clearly have problems with either the design or it's execution..

and no, there is not 'bad' in 'most' makes.. German and continental vans in general do not come off the production floor with water ingress problems..
May be so but I bet you will always find one with some sort of problem in most manufacturers that may have slipped by the checking process.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
May be so but I bet you will always find one with some sort of problem in most manufacturers that may have slipped by the checking process.

that is certainly true.. some will have a few minor issues that a dealer can usually fix .. .. but water ingress in a new van is unforgivable.. what I don't understand is why people keep buying them.. the net is full of reports of this nature , and not just AT

one such video albeit a few years old..
Water leaking through a habitation window seal on a week old Autotrail Apache 700 SE

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had two thie first a merc Cheyene which was a good old van that then enthused us into buying a new Tracker FB we didn't have water ingress but loads of minor irritating problems most of which I Sorted myself as its so much hassle to keep going back to dealers and Autotrail however once all sorted it was a great van but after updating the weight it would still not tow a decent trailer so we changed to an imported Hymer A class which is great!plenty of pay load and no regrets.Would not consider Auto trail again though.
I have said on other threads that I believe Auto trail don't seem to do production line or pre delivery checks and inspections and put all the hassle onto their customers.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Well, I thought you might try to cheer me up.
Instead, you post references to old fashioned wooden construction techniques (I grant you, you got the "old" bit right) and 7 year old videos of a leaking window.
So in an effort to cheer myself up, I've spent the afternoon browsing various German motorhome forums. Could not find a single complaint about any British vans. In fact, one poster wondered "vy do ve not buy ein qvality Britischer Wohnwagen, instead of ein Deutsche vun mit ze tiny lounge und ze huge table und ze no oven. (Sorry about the accent, no offence meant.)
I'm now off to search Spain in Winter threads, where it appears I may have to take my new van to dry it out.:LOL:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well !!
Firstly, I am glad that some one else has put a positive comment on here about Simpsons at Great Yarmouth..
We bought a new A/T Tracker EKS from them in March 2014 and have found their aftersales service excellent !!
Yes, we did have some problems including a hab door flyscreen, and both hab side window seals leaking, but they renewed them under warranty without a quible !! And still more recently I have had replacement switches renewed under warranty !! VERY good service...
I agree that a new van should be "perfect", but, not much in the modern world is perfect...
Yes, it IS a lot of money we lay out for these vans of ours, and yes, we should get a better product than we sometimes do, but the general theme running through all of this is the DEALER !!
If you get a good one, it is SO reassuring to know that a remedy will be found and your van will eventually be what you originally hoped for !!
ALL manufacturers make "Lemons", but not all dealers make them into the van of our dreams... And they bloody well should..
Simpsons DO...
No I'm NOT on the payroll.. Just giving the thread a bit of "balance".

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well !!
Firstly, I am glad that some one else has put a positive comment on here about Simpsons at Great Yarmouth..
We bought a new A/T Tracker EKS from them in March 2014 and have found their aftersales service excellent !!
Yes, we did have some problems including a hab door flyscreen, and both hab side window seals leaking, but they renewed them under warranty without a quible !! And still more recently I have had replacement switches renewed under warranty !! VERY good service...
I agree that a new van should be "perfect", but, not much in the modern world is perfect...
Yes, it IS a lot of money we lay out for these vans of ours, and yes, we should get a better product than we sometimes do, but the general theme running through all of this is the DEALER !!
If you get a good one, it is SO reassuring to know that a remedy will be found and your van will eventually be what you originally hoped for !!
ALL manufacturers make "Lemons", but not all dealers make them into the van of our dreams... And they bloody well should..
Simpsons DO...

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well !!
Simpsons DO...

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well !!
Simpsons DO...

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well !!
Simpsons DO...

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well !!
Simpsons DO...

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well !!
Simpsons DO...

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well !!
Simpsons DO...
No I'm NOT on the payroll.. Just giving the thread a bit of "balance" which may give cheer to those awaiting a new Autotrail !!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well !!
Simpsons DO...
No I'm NOT on the payroll.. Just giving the thread a bit of "balance" which may give cheer to those awaiting a new Autotrail !!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well !!
Simpsons DO...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If was paying that sort of money I'd be doing a complete damp check before I even signed for it.
In fact the dealers should be doing it before they get unloaded from the transporters.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have to disagree a bit on that.

Having actually spoken to quite a few owners who never went to print, it turns out they have lot's of the same problems but don't complain.
It's a British thing.

Not complaining is a British thing ? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: You are joking ? Spend a wee while reading threads on here let alone on just this thread ..................

Reactions: DBK

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
You seriously expected to find a German who owned a British built ' Watertrail ' motorhome .... o_O

I must admit to being surprised at finding a Munich Autotrail Appreciation club.
Turned out to be an Otto Trail appreciation club, he's a highly regarded manufacturer of lederhosen.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I must admit to being surprised at finding a Munich Autotrail Appreciation club.
Turned out to be an Otto Trail appreciation club, he's a highly regarded manufacturer of lederhosen.

Don't knock it till you try it!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Not complaining is a British thing ? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: You are joking ? Spend a wee while reading threads on here let alone on just this thread ..................

It would appear to be fine to complain on here.
It's complaining to the dealers, but more so the manufacturers, that isn't getting done.
We all moan to each other, but we aren't the ones building them (well some do ;)) and the builders are the ones who should be moaned to.

Aren't they ? :blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back