New Autotrail - big worry! (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Congratulations, it looks like you got what you paid for. Not all Autotrails have problems with them. Mine like many other's, my new one had very minor faults that were quickly corrected and very occasionly one or two slip through with more serious problems.
I'm of the view the UK Motorhome industry still has a long way to go. For the money we pay we should receive the same build quality and reliability that is delivered by the car industry.
Safe Travels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Don't worry, it will have water streaming out of it soon, according to some, they come out of the factory leaking.
Our British built van is 2 1/2 years old now and it's frustratingly dry everywhere.....
Mine is frustratingly dry also (so far) but it has been all the other issues both vehicular and habitational. Really like the van otherwise and haven't seen a continental one I would rather have, due to their non-British layouts, so the choice is quite limited.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Mine is frustratingly dry also (so far) but it has been all the other issues both vehicular and habitational. Really like the van otherwise and haven't seen a continental one I would rather have, due to their non-British layouts, so the choice is quite limited.
That's interesting
What layout features do British vans have that European ones don't?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I wanted a U shape lounge and front dinette and couldn't find a new Euro van with that layout
That's exactly the same layout of our old Besacarr - but we had the rear lounge always made up as a bed. Really wanted a fixed bed, so changed it

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I know it good sport knocking British vans BUT it has to be said that the continental ones are not short of problems either, we know plenty of people with new Continental vans and they all seem to have teething troubles.

British layouts are certainly different to Continental and what suits one does not suit all so we makes our choice and pay our money for better or for worse.

Saying that I will stick with German:xThumb:

Martin

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I know it good sport knocking British vans BUT it has to be said that the continental ones are not short of problems either, we know plenty of people with new Continental vans and they all seem to have teething troubles.

British layouts are certainly different to Continental and what suits one does not suit all so we makes our choice and pay our money for better or for worse.

Saying that I will stick with German:xThumb:

Martin

If they stopped using wood in construction it would go a long way to improving the situation...but why would they bother when sales probably good enough

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think a lot of European vans have similar layouts to the traditional British layout. Personally, I don't like the rear lounge types but I think Hymer do one , or at least used to. We went for the 2 side facing sofas, great for lounging around and plenty of room to seat 6 or more round the table. We didn't really like the front seats with fixed table, feels like your sitting at the kitchen table all the time, which we do a lot at home anyway, but nowhere to really relax.
Saying that, we are starting to look around for a left hand drive van and may well end up with a fixed front table van.......

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Has to be a front lounge for me with no fixed table otherwise no fixed bed which is probably first priority for me.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Candapack. Another happy "Britvan" owner here.
Autotrail Tracker EKS. Coming up to two years old. Had Two new side windows fitted (under warranty) due to ingress of water between the plastic glass and the rubber seal, so just keep an eye out for a rise in damp readings in the lower side storage lockers.
But other than that, just petty things.
The van itself is a delight to own and drive. Been to Spain for 3 months and Greece for 3 months on the longer trips. Never missed a beat, so ENJOY your van and USE it as much as you possibly can. We have done 12,000 miles , but must now park it up for 6 months due to me having an epileptic "brain Fart", but will hopefully be off again in June and maybe do Hungary, Poland or even have a look at Croatia again...
Who knows, the world is ours to explore and enjoy when you take your "house" with you !!
Enjoy your van mate..(y)(y)(y)
Mitch..

Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
Bought a new 2012 Autotrail Apache 700 had damp problems twice fixed under warranty.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have been motorhome owners for a total of 25 years, with a brief spell with caravan's.

We have owned

Elddis Autoquest 320 from new
Swift Royale 590 from new
Autosleeper Ravenna from new

Swift Sundance 6 years old, after return to M/Hs from caravan
Swift Esprit new this year.

With the exception of the Swift Royale, which was recalled by Swift and repaired at no cost to us, we have had no major problems with any new British units.

It is fashionable to knock Brit vans. Yes, they do gave their faults, but read the reports on the Continental van section.

Enjoy what you have and ignore the doomsayers.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
I don't really think owners would complain about them unless they have had problems. Their willingness to discuss them openly is not an attempt to be fashionable.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
all you need is a few bumpy roads to shake it up a bit. I keep looking for damp on my Chausson, not that it does much but the construction methods tell me from experience that it is going and where it will do it, Seams along the side panels and roof joint and the seam to the fibreglass front roof, just awful joints. All roofs should be caps going over the edges covering the side panels , not butt joints slapped over with goo.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back