new aquisition

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by darklord, May 16, 2012.

1. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Collected our new baby on saturday, due to work etc, we hav'nt had chance to "play" with it until today. The handover etc was good, but when i got it home i found a couple of small faults. the cig lighter pick ups did,nt work, and neither did the stereo. The dealer had to replace one of the lesiure batts and the engine batt prior to pick up, so i guessed that on fitting, a fuse or two had blown......correct, changed fuses all ok.

I do have one small problem though, the motorhome has a rear bathroom, so, the cassette comes out of the rear of the van. This has caused the bike rack, and Fiamma storage box to be placed a little high up. On top of this, the box is the F700741, which is a little small for my needs, so i will need a bigger one.
    I have some choices
    1) replace the box with a bigger one

2) do away with the box, fit a big top box

3) do away with the box and bike rack, fit a large box to
    the "bumper bar" that holds the towbar, and fit a trap
    door for the waste cassette.

any other suggetsions??

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Congrats on your new baby=no idea what :Wink:- A top box will cost you around 4 mpg :Eeek:
    terry

3. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi, Also top box alters handling on corners if too much stuff packed. Terry

4. Les

Les Funster

Hope you enjoy new"baby" I had top box on top on Merc 208d when I took it off you noticed faster must be lot wind drag so stick to back if you can take extra weight

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

For what it's worth, our Burstner is the same but the Germans supplied it with a wind up bike rack. This lifts the bikes about a foot or so.

6. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

The germans do have a few good ideas dont they?

Anyway, thanks for all the input. the main problerm was not having enough room for chairs, but after taking the advice NOT to have a top box, and seeing the horrendously stupid prices for bigger rear boxes, we did a bit of lateral thinking.
    The BBQ, tables etc, fit in the existing box, so thats where they will live.
    When we bought our first MH, I had a bag made for it that went on the roof, to carry chairs etc, this was never used, and lo and behold, it fits nicely on top of the overcab bed. Its waterproof canvas type material that zips up, so the chairs need never come onto contact witht he bed covering (only used when small people come away with us). So, all in all, weve not spent anything, which in my book equates to saving money:Rofl1:..........now to start thinking about a trailer for the landy:Wink: