Jun 15, 2011
Belfast
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm new
Hi
I've just joined the forum. I don't own a motorhome yet but I hope to buy one soon.
I have decided on a van conversion type based on VW or Merc Vito, Transit or something similar.
My problem is I am bewildered and confused by the number of conversions available and the wide range of prices.
I am hoping to do this as cheaply as possible so I'd be grateful if anyone could advise which are the cheapest conversions and the reasons why some converted vans are £30000 and I've seen others a £50000+

thanks
George

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi and welcome George....

its all down to base vehicle cost and build quality.

a merc base van will probably be more expensive for the convertor to buy in than a VW etc.

the more expensive models may have better quality appliances and the cabinetry will be better built,

to me, all panel van convertions are well overpriced for what you actually get....size and comfort wise.

£50k will buy a motorhome that looks like a van with windows or a very nice, and large, coachbuilt that looks like a motorhome.....i know my preference :thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bikemental

Free Member
Jun 15, 2011
Belfast
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm new
Hi PappaJohn

Thanks for the welcome.
I do agree with you about van versus coachbuilt.

The reason I am considering a van conversion is because it is smaller.
Maybe I'm wrong and I'm happy to take advice but I envisaged that with a coachbuilt I would be less inclined to use it as a day or weekender and for example if I was holidaying in France it would be less suitable for getting around towns and exploring exploring small villages etc etc.
I admit I have no experience of motorcaravanning so I could be talking out of my posterior but I was figuring on using a van conversion with an awning so if on a campsite I could leave the awning while maybe using the van to explore the local area which could be awkward with a coachbuilt.

cheers

George

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi George, welcome to the Fun :thumb: Panel vans are fantastic and really are great for touring, but... A coachbuilt that is just a few inches wider makes a massive difference in useability. It really does depend on what you want and the type of touring you will be doing. Go to a show and sit in as many as you can, sit on the loo, stand in the shower, lay on the bed and lounge on the sofa. Imagine yourself, using the kitchen, where are the breakfast cereals stored, where will you keep a muddy pair of wellies ect ect.

best of luck, don't rush in, but don't waste a year looking:thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi and welcome
My preferance would be a rear wheel drive-----------
why not try out a cheaper s/h camper to see if a small van is what you really need-------it's all a compromise- if it's small on the outside--it will be small on the inside:whatthe::whatthe:
Nigel & Pamala

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
greetings

Hi, we have a m/home which fits our way of use very well. Small enough to use every day but big enough for the two of us and a dog to do longer trips.
Best bit is the fixed bed, i know you lose a little room inside but when you have had a hard day, (which do regular as race marshals, 14 hours days are not unusual) you really do not want to have to make a bed up.
But as i said earlier, this is what suits our needs. Just an example of how small can be big enough and how a large can be small enough!!!!!

Happy hunting

This is ours: Link Removed

Cheyne and Lynne

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Hi, we have a m/home which fits our way of use very well. Small enough to use every day but big enough for the two of us and a dog to do longer trips.
Best bit is the fixed bed, i know you lose a little room inside but when you have had a hard day, (which do regular as race marshals, 14 hours days are not unusual) you really do not want to have to make a bed up.
But as i said earlier, this is what suits our needs. Just an example of how small can be big enough and how a large can be small enough!!!!!

Happy hunting

This is ours: Link Removed

Cheyne and Lynne

Hi and Welcome, one of the best places to start is Pre Loved, why not dip your toe in the water,and go for a cheepie, there are some on there £3500, I was checking it out for my son, any rate have fun , in Fun.....Del

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi George and welcome :thumb: The cheapest way is to build your own :thumb: if you have the skills to do it :Smile: It costs more or less the same to kit out a panel van (about 7k ) with new bits :winky:
The reasoning behind the price difference is the base vehicle and how much the converters charge :Doh: Some stick to basics and others will do premium vans for premium prices,hence the difference from 30k to 60k :Eeek:
There are some self conversions that can be bought for little more than the value of the van but to be honest that is all they are worth ::bigsmile: but that could well be a toe in the water for you :thumb: to get the feel of ownership and find out exactly what you want.
If you are thinking of buying new then try hiring one for a week or so :thumb: better to find out before committing a lot of £s :thumb:As already been said go to a few shows and look at lots.:winky:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My problem is I am bewildered and confused by the number of conversions available and the wide range of prices.
thanks
George

There is only one cure, grab a camera and hit the road. We rode round every dealer within "buying" distance . Sat in as many as possible. Photographed them all logically starting with the front to log price/year.

It was hard work. Much stress. And all without knowing about these forums. Which is a pity. You'll see a "How to buy a motorhome book" on here, I wish we'd had that.

But we didn't do too badly. There is no such thing as The Right One.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There are lots of reasons why people go for V/C's the most common being parking and using as a daily driver.

If using as a daily driver, your mileage will rack up, and that will effect the value quite a bit - as why buy a van with 70k on the clock, when there are 20k ones commonly available?

C-Class motorhomes offer more space and comfort, even if they may require more thought when going into small villages etc, than a van would. Lots more space to move about without having to collapse this and move than when you pass, or move about the van. No banging heads or waking up with a foot in your face!

Space wise, they often take up no more length, just a little more height and width than a van - assuming a 20ft 5 berth, which would do a couple quite comfortably.

With V/C - don't just look into the quality of the conversion - but the quality of the base vehicle. VW have gearbox solenoid issues (vw state 60k life on leisure box), Mercs rust like fury as commercials are not protected from corrosion, and Transits eat bearings and axles for some unknown reason...£260 for a newer transit wheel bearing is quite a difference from an older transit costing around £30!

These are the sorts of things that need consideration - especially if looking to use as a daily driver. The conversion will make prices vary alot! There are many different quality conversions, from small outfits that have recently 'converted' to larger mainstream dealer conversions that vary from budget to high end. The high end will always hold it's value more than a budget.

Tis a minefield, so do your homework and keep looking - you never end up buying what you first think is ideal!....one rule to keep in mind..parts availability and 'can i stay in here if it rains all week' If you think you will be comfortable penned in, and without getting cabin fever, then it will probably be the right size for you!

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
A mate of mine is currently doing a partial self build, but working with a converter to supply and fit out the fittings. Saving himself quite a bit of money.

OP
OP
B

Bikemental

Free Member
Jun 15, 2011
Belfast
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm new
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and all the very useful advice.

You've really got me thinking and I can feel myself swaying towards a 'real' motorhome rather than a van conversion.

So I've another question. There are 3 of us, myself, my wife and our 4 yr old daughter. In terms of coachbuilt motorhomes I see lots of 2 berth and 4/5 berth but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a 3 berth. Does anyone make a 3 berth?

thanks again

George

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I see lots of 2 berth and 4/5 berth but
George

Yes. But what does it really mean ?

We have a 4 berth, two on top, fine, huge bed but the other two are the dining seats and really not fit for adults. Kids would be OK.

You really have to get your bike out and get hands on. Maybe a trip over here to one of the big shows.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and all the very useful advice.

You've really got me thinking and I can feel myself swaying towards a 'real' motorhome rather than a van conversion.

So I've another question. There are 3 of us, myself, my wife and our 4 yr old daughter. In terms of coachbuilt motorhomes I see lots of 2 berth and 4/5 berth but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a 3 berth. Does anyone make a 3 berth?

thanks again

George

Get a four or five - it makes no difference to body size, and the extra berth/s you may find handy in a few years, when your daughter wants to take a friend!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back