Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Hi.
Finally got our first MH - a Burstner 615 Harmony 2005 and she is beautiful. Will be picking her up on Friday - can't wait.
As a newbie there are lots of things I want to do and if anyone can help with advice and conversation I would be really grateful.
1. The previous owners are leaving just one small gas bottle in the MH. I would like to obtain 1 or 2 refillable LPG gas bottles - any advice?
2. I would like to fit a solar panel on the roof. I see that they can be securely glued onto the roof but how would the wires enter the MH without any possible ingress of water.

Thanks in anticipation
Don
donnkim

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Go to your local skip yard and I bet you find a compound there with empty gas bottles, offer the attendant a fiver each for a couple of 6kg bottles (perefferably propane) and then just exchange them for full bottles at your local gas supplier. New bottles are £30 deposit and ~ £20 for the gas refill.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donnkim

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Thanks for your help - giving me something to work on
Don

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hi. Welcome!

For refillable LPG bottles, Gaslow or Alugas (I think?) are the two systems most people opt for if they want to go down the refillable route.

Certainly Gaslow are easy enough to fit yourself if you have a clue; but if you don't, any decent caravan dealer will fit it for you. Dave Newell fits Alugas I believe? We have a DIY installed Gaslow. We are very happy together LOL Alugas unsurprisingly, are (said to be!) lighter in weight.

However, we would have liked 2 x 11kg bottles. We measured the gas locker before we ordered them. Unfortunately the door hole isn't wide enough to get em through, even though there would be plenty of room for em if you could get em in. So back they went and 2 x 6kg is what we have.

Last approx 10-12 days in the summer (we've always filled up before we're scraping th ebottom of the barrel), as we only have the water on for showers, and boil the kettle otherwise. And obviously, the fire isn't on. Can't say in the winter as it depends wholly on outside temp and how well your van is insulated.

There are only 2 of us though, no kids or dogs!

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Hi,

We have 2 Alugas 11kg refillables, fitted by Dave Newell. We are very pleased with them.

Re the solar panel, I have no wish to put you off if thats what you want (and many swear by them) but I would ask why you think you need one?

we have 2 leisure batteries fitted, and can go several days with them without moving. By the time the batteries are anywhere near going down we would be driving somewhere anyway, or on a site with electric, to recharge. So we personally don't have the need.

But I guess if you want to stay for weeks without moving, or if your electric use is particularly high, they may be worthwhile (but others might suggest a genny in these circumstances)

Jeffo

Upvote 0

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
we have done 157000 miles in our first camper and 80,000 in the one we have now. I can't imagine why anyone would need a solar panel.

Must admit that we don't drive 300 miles to Cornwall, stay for 2 weeks on a camp site and then drive home. If you belong to the wild camping gang then a solar panel will never be needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
we have done 157000 miles in our first camper and 80,000 in the one we have now. I can't imagine why anyone would need a solar panel.

Must admit that we don't drive 300 miles to Cornwall, stay for 2 weeks on a camp site and then drive home. If you belong to the wild camping gang then a solar panel will never be needed.

That's fine for you, but every ones needs are different. I have a friend who's grandson can flatten his batteries in a day despite having 2 x 110A batteries & 2 x 80w solar panels in full working order. Some people are very power hungry without trying.

Upvote 0

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Solar is great if you need to be off hook up for any length of time.We needed to be in one spot for a couple of weeks for an event and the power just ran down during the evenings but topped itself up during the day.
The other advantage of solar is that it keeps you nicely topped up whilst just sitting on the drive.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Had our 615 over a year now, 11000 miles later and 2 trips to France and still not used the gas in the 6kg bottle that came with it ! - just the 2 of us though.

We use sites and occasionally an Aire and don't intend to fit solar either.

Enjoy your van - good choice:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back