D magic

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yep, that just about sums it up. OMG, how difficult can motorhoming be? Buy motorhome, drive off, no problem............. Ok just a couple of problems, first night out, left heating on full, (-4 outside), I mean, it cant be that good, can it? When we got back and opened the door, I felt a blast of hot air that made me feel like a Bernard Matthews oven ready Turkey, well impressed! All joking aside, I do need a little help in finding my feet here guys, and gals.
Got a Dethleff Black Magic on a Fiat Ducato chasis, it has alloy wheels but no spare, (I cant get my head round that bit). How, or where do you get a spare wheel from, I was told that Alloys and steel wheels have differing length nuts, I beleive I have the originals, but will a bog standard Ducato steel wheel do the job? Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome....

a standard steel wheel with the same size tyre MAY do the job but the profile of the wheel may be different between alloy and steel so may foul the brake disc/caliper and, as you say, the nuts/studs are different and will not be safe other than for very short emergency trips. (usually its the seat taper thats different and will not tighten properly)

simple enough to buy a wheel set of steel wheel nuts though.

now the annoying bit.....if it will fit, where are you going to keep it ?
as they dont provide a spare they also dont provide storage for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

D magic

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Many thanks for that, from what you have said I am thinking a trip to the local garage may be in order. As for storage, I was thiking of getting a hinge'd cradle welded to the underside of the chassis, there looks to be enough space to do the job.:thumb:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Hello and welcome, new to this myself but I remember seeing a thread on this subject a while back (not sure where though if on here or elsewhere). From what I remember it went a bit like this, most new vans don't have a spare, the theory being that if you get a flat you will have a breakdown policy and just get them to sort it, or have a can of that sticky stuff you squirt in and get to a garage to get it sorted. Now I must admit that I wouldn't feel happy without a spare but then there is the whole weight issue to consider.:Eeek:

Hope that helps a bit :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many thanks for that, from what you have said I am thinking a trip to the local garage may be in order. As for storage, I was thiking of getting a hinge'd cradle welded to the underside of the chassis, there looks to be enough space to do the job.:thumb:
find out if the van has an Alko chassis...the van may be fiat based but convertors often use an Alko convertion for better handling and payload capability.

if it has an Alko chassis DO NOT weld anything to it or drill holes in it.....it is galvanised and virtually rot proof but drill/weld it and it will rot like theres no tommorow.

Alko sell a purpose made spare wheel carrier for their chassis which uses existing mounting holes and well worth the money in my opinion. :thumb:

the original fiat chassis will be painted...probably black, the Alko is plain galv silver/grey.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but no spare, (I cant get my head round that bit).

Not uncommon. Allegedly to save weight, savings to the manufacturer are just a coincidence.

You have checked I suppose. Our spare is hidden a good metre from the back near the back axle. To get it out I have to jack the back up a bit and have half my body under the back to reach the cage.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
i had a rear blow out coming up through france last week, absolutley knackered the rim +other things.i would not even consider going out without a spare now,,even though spare was wrong tyre(not 'c' rated) but managed to limp to next campsite and bought new rim + tyre.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back