New alarm advice sought (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Looking at new van, insurer has standard Thatcham Cat 1 requirement, no problems, but, they only give 28 days from pickup to have it fitted.
So that rules out Vanbitz who are quoting June at earliest. What other systems are people using?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Try Outsmart the Thief. Their basic system is Cat 1. http://www.606060.com/motorhome-alarm-14-p.asp
They also do a loud internal alarm as an extra on it if you want.
We have their Titanium system but it isn't Cat 1 because, as I understand it, Thatcham have not yet approved the use of remote immobilisers. A guy came from the company and fitted it at our home for no extra charge - which given they are based in Yorkshire and we are in Devon was pretty remarkable service.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd agree with looking for an alternative insurer
NFU don't insist on an alarm or immobiliser - however I'd still get a Growler fitted
For your own peace of mind

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Try Outsmart the Thief. Their basic system is Cat 1. http://www.606060.com/motorhome-alarm-14-p.asp
They also do a loud internal alarm as an extra on it if you want.
We have their Titanium system but it isn't Cat 1 because, as I understand it, Thatcham have not yet approved the use of remote immobilisers. A guy came from the company and fitted it at our home for no extra charge - which given they are based in Yorkshire and we are in Devon was pretty remarkable service.
Remote engine immobilisation is standard in Thatcham Cat Five systems, and always has been.

Cat Five and Cat Six are being changed soon anyway and TVS is on its way.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
due to have a cat 5 fitted by Eddie I would be interested in changes

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
What's TVS Eddie?
Duh! Sorry my typoo_O

Vehicle Tracking System (VTS)

Launched March 2016 but no sign of filtering though yet. It's back to tags on key rings to stop Key Cloning

It is designed to supersede Thatcham Categories Five and the diminutive Six

We'll wait and see;) We still get asked for VSIB (Vehicle Security Installation Board) certification. I was asked to write the Leisure vehicle Code of Practice for the VSIB in 1996 Yet some insurers still think it's current:ROFLMAO:

Mind you I wish I was as thin as I was in 1996 :oops:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
due to have a cat 5 fitted by Eddie I would be interested in changes
It should be a bit cheaper, but, and their is always a but, you'll struggle to get insurers to recognise it for a while.

Annoying considering that, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) own Thatcham, but it takes ages to filter through.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
It should be a bit cheaper, but, and their is always a but, you'll struggle to get insurers to recognise it for a while.

Annoying considering that, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) own Thatcham, but it takes ages to filter through.

Thankyou for the info looking forward to getting everthing fitted

TerryK

Free Member
Apr 26, 2017
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
on and off for 30 years
I had Vanbitz alarm fitted to a coach built van I had some years ago, and now I am also looking for alarm system for my new van but as it is a panel van conversion (Autocruise Rhythm) I am not sure that a Vanbitz system is suitable. From my past experience they seem to be more designed for coach built vans with micro switches being fitted to cover locker and habitation doors. Cannot remember how it fitted in with the vans remote locking etc. I shall have to contact Vanbitz for more info.
Terry

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Vanbitz alarm is perfectly suitable for a PVC. Eddie and his team did a fantastic job fitting a Growler and non-starter on my van. I'm pretty sure that some of the parts used in the system are selectable according to the type of vehicle its being fitted on. For instance, I don't have micro switches on door where they are not needed, because there are already factory fitted contacts for the lights and door open sensors that the alarm can monitor.

Anyway, a rock solid system in my experience and I can't think of anything better.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Just rang my insurance company to confirm what they wanted fitted to the new van , now they are telling me the alarm & tracker has to be fitted before the new van leaves the dealer .

I said no way Im going to Vanbitz and why would I want another alarm on , they replied saying you would not get a appointment as vanbitz are booked up months in advance . I told them I booked it 4 months ago.

They are now saying they will cover me if the alarm was fitted by a certain date but not for theft and full cover would start once the alarm and tracker was fitted.

I’m still going to vanbitz but I do like the insurance company I’m with , not sure what to do I may have to go with a new insurance company. The person I spoke with new I was getting the best system fitted but its down to the underwriters.

Or I could just camp out on vanbitz campsite :D

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Comfort told me I would be covered for 30 days then theft cover would lapse until van was alarmed. Vanbitz for me. OTT app not for iphones

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back