new addition to family

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by robinmclaren, Jan 16, 2010.

1. robinmclaren

robinmclaren Read Only Funster

after always having dogs and losing our last one 2 years ago at only 3 years old and over £3k of bills we are not having another one .

guess what , working at a friends house and they have the most adorable 11 week old german shepard that would not leave us alone while working there

turns out they cannot cope with the dog as it is not setteling in with their lifestyle and were about to return him to the breeder

yes we are picking up TJ today and have already hit the pet shop last night and now busy sorting out my office for him , what were we thinking , guess carpets are coming out of the motorhome now for holidays

who is the best for pet insurance nowadays please

:cry::Doh::cry::Doh::thumb::thumb:

2. Caggsie

Caggsie Read Only Funster

I have used Pet plan and Marks & spencer. Both were excellent when putting in a claim. No quibbling. My personal preference was M & S until they put up the premium(never actaully claimed on this policy) for my older of what was then 2 Bull terriers. I, in anger cancelled both policies, only to need it for the younger of the 2 dogs a few months later - she had cancer and we lost her several months later.

I had another BT prior to this incident that would eat the most unusual things and had to have 2 major ops, a pop sock, that caught in her gut and unbelievably two show rope leads that have the metal loop at one end:Eeek:, M & S paid immediately, no quibble, for both ops and at the time as far as I can remember didn't raise the premiums excessively - I think a few of squid for the year.

regards

karen

3. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

At least we lasted 7 years before getting another dog after our Labrador died :Smile:

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

You wont regret it , life would be dull without them :BigGrin:

Attached Files:

5. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

We don't use any insurance now, did when first had pets but when we took on an elderly dog the price was stupid. We decided instead to put the cost of the policy in a bank account for the dog every month and have continued this through successive dogs.

It seems to have worked for us, although one of our current dogs has just cost us £6.500 this has been met from their account, and there is still money left if any more is required.

Just another method to think about, it has worked for us and friends have also found it works for them.

Best of luck with your new friend.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

6. JumboBeef

JumboBeef Read Only Funster

7. Cavendish

Cavendish Read Only Funster

Hi Robin and Michaela, :Smile:

We need to get a new policy sorted out for Cav because the free one had expired. Our vets seem to recommend Pet Plan but my sister in law got hers through Animal Friends Insurance. :thumb:

8. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

As mentioned, the vets push Pet Plan. We thought it was expensive, so after the free months cover we went with M&S :Smile:

9. GregM

GregM Read Only Funster

We had pet plan insurance but then found tesco insurance offer very similar cover for about half the price.

10. JumboBeef

JumboBeef Read Only Funster

Never had insurance on our three. Over the years, we've saved over £5,000 so far, and counting.............

11. Terry and Nicola

Terry and Nicola Read Only Funster

german shepard

HI ROBIN
    Thats funny iam just repairing the inside window on my porch (4mm plastic)that
    our german shepard smashed before xmas he is 2years old .
    Dose spencer no about the dog i bet he can not wait until he comes home( josh says hi to spencer)we do have pet insurance for ours might be direct line will ask nicola when i pick here up from work say hi to Michaela for us

12. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Good on ya Robin.
    Look forward to seeing the pictures. I see a dog meet coming soon:BigGrin:

As for insuance I would not use Pet plan myself. I know why vets push it. Instant payment with little quable. I used one reccomended by roadrunner John. Its NFU and very good and reasonable priced.
    There are some not to use as vets sometimes refuse to treat on insurance because the companies rarely pay and its always a battle to get your money back.

Jumbobeef? I would love an airdale. but I dont think Tara & Nikki would let me :Sad:

13. robinmclaren

robinmclaren Read Only Funster

her he is

now washed and clean , looks a lot better now , so far so good .
    Hi terry, no spencer knows we were getting him but with grandparent until tomorrow to give us time to settle him in at home , he is so excited as has always had a dog until last one died , so yes wise move even though we were not quite ready yet
    Hi hagnap , yes plans are changing as we speak for hols, praa in corwall dogs allowed on beach out of season so looking towards that at the minute , let us know when a dog meet not a kippor one

best to all :thumb:

Attached Files:

14. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

One of the important things to check is if your dog gets a serious life long illness they will still cover you every year as long as you continue the premiums and not dump you next year