• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED New 4 month old M/Home that does not leak... (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Have written to both the supplying dealer and Swift to reject the vehicle as "Not fit for purpose" and faulty goods. Have given them 14 days to repond before going legal.
Swift say under the terms of the warranty, they have to choice to repair or replace.... My position is that I want a full refund.

There is no finance on it...we part exchanged our Bessacar (no problems with quaility at all...) + cash to make up the balance

New Consumer Act allows you to reject goods without quibble but only within first 30 days. But it does not prevent you from seeking redress outside of this period.

Will it be a battle to get a refund - yes, but hey ho...Bring it on.
Quick word of advice. Check your insurance policies, membership documents of motoring organisations, etc to see if you have legal protection insurance and whether it covers consumer disputes. If you do, put them on notice immediately, as that is often a condition of cover, then let their solicitors fund it for you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just when people were starting to think Swift had moved on from their terrible reputation for building inside out boats, up cmes another one.. And they are STILL messing people about too

A classic case of a firm saying 'sorry. Lessons will be learned' , and then demonstrating the lesson in question is that they can flog incredibly shoddy goods backed up with a customer service that would make Attila The Hun look good working at Mother Care

All of which would have been a great post if it were not two years out of date !!!
Did not see @hilldweller 's post until after I posted mine, but it was such a great rant it seemed a shame to waste it !LOL

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
So, has there been an update?

Having gone back to the old thread it would be good to know what happened or is it in another thread somewhere?

It's a bit like reading a novel then finding the last page missing.
Update please @jdk62.

Thanks

Richard.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
To close out this thread...

I continued to reject the vehicle and was prepared to join both the dealer (3A's of Carmarthen) and Swift in legal action. The dealer was appalling, no responses to e-mails, no effort to resolve or take any responsibility. Swift tried to push back saying my contract was with the dealer and they should resolve.

I kept my position and then Swift eventually requested that they pick up the Motorhome and take it back to the factory and carry out all necessary remedial works and on satisfactory completion of the works, they offered significant compensation.

I took legal advice and took the view that if they had it back and failed to adequately fix, then I could continue with my right to reject.

So they picked it up, had it for 5 weeks, sent me a hire care, put me up in a local hotel the night before and then I went to the factory to inspect the next day. I went through it with a fine tooth comb and the foreman of their remedial team. Interesting speaking with him.... he says he is regularly embarrassed by some of the vans that go out off the production line. The production line is so fast that people have no time to do things properly. He said his team of twelve have no time pressures on the repairs they undertake - they spend as long as necessary to get things right.

They sorted all my problems and also replaced the oven which we didn't have a problem with... (apparently the piezo ignition was not working properly on the main oven..)

I got a new fully comprehensive 10year warranty from the date of me picking it up from the factory and also a cheque which paid for my E&P hydraulic levelling system and uprated front springs.

That was 7 months ago and everything has been fine - no more problems at all.

We love our van and whilst I wrestled with not accepting the offer of having it repaired at the factory and standing my ground on full refund, the legal risks were great enough that I could of been unsuccessful....

So at the end of the day we have a van that is sound and everything works fine and we are enjoying as much as we can.

It was frustrating, annoying and time consuming but finally we got there.

So what have I learnt.... 3A's of Carmarthen are absolutely useless. Swift throw out Motorhomes with little or no quality control. Their remedial team are very good ( obviously have a lot of practice...).

For now we are content with our van and enjoying our travels.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's a cracking outcome but even so I would hate to think how many Swift owners out there have duff quality vans on their drive.

Well done indeed,

Andrew

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Excellent result - well done.

We also had problems with our first van, a new Swift Bolero.
After several dealer bodge jobs (that well known large multi outlet dealer, M......)
It went back to Swift who were very good.
As in your case they supplied hire cars to get us home and to return for collection. They also did a number of jobs that we hadn't reported so went through the vehicle very thoroughly.
It's just a shame that so many of their vehicles need this attention.

Richard.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's just a shame that so many of their vehicles need this attention.
Richard.

Poker players...............

They kick the vans out as cheaply as possible, they fully repair as few as possible and the accountants see profit.

If only more people kicked up a big fuss and changed the odds they might start building them better.

So walk into a Swift dealer and say to yourself "Are you feellin' lucky punk ?".

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It seems quite common with newer vans lately, makes such as Hymer and Carthago are having problems such as water leaks reported, so it’s not just the usual makes.
Puts me off buying a another new van next year, I’ll probably go for one a few years old that has had all it creases wrinkled out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back