• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED New 4 month old M/Home that does not leak... (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Pray tell.
New m/home in July, lots of niggles:-
- headboard lighting not wired up
- Bathroom door delamininating
- internal handle to habitation door sticking in locked position
- Nearside rear light cluster full of water
- front panel under dining area seating not fixed to side panel(screws pushed into oversized holes..)

But the big ticket issue is:-
- water ingress from roof, damaging side panel, dining seating cushion and timber base to seat.

We have put on 2050 miles since buying the van of which 950 miles are visits to the original dealer and an approved Swift repairer for inspections... Will have to wait a further 2 weeks before leak can be repaired (roof joint poorly done....).

Am currently in discussions with Swift.....!

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Good god mate, grrr indeed I would be camped out side the factory with bill board saying what I think of them. Good luck keep it posted(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Am currently in discussions with Swift.....!

You're in a long queue

Have you checked out their owners support forum?

A PR disaster if ever there was one

Best of luck getting your van sorted

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
If you are lucky enough to have HP on the vehicle, write to your finance company. Technically its their vehicle and Swift will jump through hoops if contacted by them. Believe me, speaking from experience bring them in if you have them. things get sorted very Quickly. When it happened to me Swift had the van back to the factory and paid for a hire car for two weeks whilst they sorted everything. to my satisfaction.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Try and get shot of it.
It just ruins your whole motor homing experience.
As previously mentioned, if there is finance get them to fight your corner.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Too many problems to have any confidence in it, even if they get sorted how long before so ting else fails. Any water ingress is serious and has it has caused further damage how can you be sure it has not caused unseen damage.
I would reject it as unfit for purpose or you will be constantly worrying about it.

It is exactly the reasons I would never by a UK built van.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Why does anyone buy a new van?:(
That's a good question. .
It's not just swift..
I'm not going into a lot of detail as it's not my thread but it's relevant I suppose .
I got a new chausson and if I'd taken it back to get everything fixed that was ,and has gone wrong since I got it 6 months ago it wouldn't have been on the road..
IMHO a lot of the materials used to put a mh together these days are bordering on not fit for purpose.. I presume it's mainly in a quest to keep the weight down... but at a cost I think..
The dealer has been good mind and has agreed that it's disgraceful... they will put right things that I haven't done myself and are still outstanding,but ive told them it's at my convenience and I'm not letting it stop me using the vehicle..
So maybe nothing as serious as leaks yet but your not alone..
Andy

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I agree, send it back if you can, but, not all Swifts are bad. We have a 19 year old Swift that is as dry as a bone inside. We also bought a new Autosleeper 3 years ago and sold it with no signs of water ingress ( the mechanic at a well known East Sussex dealer told me Autosleepers are very well made) Not all UK built vans are bad as some would have you believe ( constantly).

Deleted User
Park across the main gates with clamps on every wheel. Posters on all sides and demand a replacement.
WOW Swift, I'll remember that firm for a long time, hope they have someone who reads this.
Good luck, really really, hope you come out of this with a smile somehow.
Ian S

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we bought a brand new swift in 2004 with so many faults it was a joke. neither swift nor the dealer marquis would take responsibility. we took legal advice re rejecting it and were told it would cost thousands to take them to court
so we advertised it, with faults and took a huge loss

only a short synopsis but those were the key points. swift have not improved

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
How about the new consumer law can't you reject it I think under the old stuff once you accept a repair you are stuck with it

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Have written to both the supplying dealer and Swift to reject the vehicle as "Not fit for purpose" and faulty goods. Have given them 14 days to repond before going legal.
Swift say under the terms of the warranty, they have to choice to repair or replace.... My position is that I want a full refund.

There is no finance on it...we part exchanged our Bessacar (no problems with quaility at all...) + cash to make up the balance

New Consumer Act allows you to reject goods without quibble but only within first 30 days. But it does not prevent you from seeking redress outside of this period.

Will it be a battle to get a refund - yes, but hey ho...Bring it on.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Park across the main gates with clamps on every wheel. Posters on all sides and demand a replacement.
WOW Swift, I'll remember that firm for a long time, hope they have someone who reads this.
Good luck, really really, hope you come out of this with a smile somehow.
Ian S
yep ,that'll work. My wife did that with her car outside the sales office of the house builder we bought from. Soon gets their minds focused.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Only too common i am afraid, i am just praying our next MH wont have half the issues our last 2 british ones had. fingers/toes/legs/arms etc etc all crossed.

joking aside it can be very stressful to go through this when you hav paid such a large sum of money, these B*****ds need to be taken to town over this but they just all seem to get away with it. Rant over.

I really do hope you get this sorted.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have written to both the supplying dealer and Swift to reject the vehicle as "Not fit for purpose" and faulty goods. Have given them 14 days to repond before going legal.
Swift say under the terms of the warranty, they have to choice to repair or replace.... My position is that I want a full refund.

There is no finance on it...we part exchanged our Bessacar (no problems with quaility at all...) + cash to make up the balance

New Consumer Act allows you to reject goods without quibble but only within first 30 days. But it does not prevent you from seeking redress outside of this period.

Will it be a battle to get a refund - yes, but hey ho...Bring it on.
I found this online

If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.

You're entitled to a full or partial refund instead of a repair or replacement if any of the following are true:
  • a repair or replacement would cause you significant inconvenience
  • the repair would take an unreasonably long amount of time

Chances are a repair will take ages, plus if you've got trips planned ...

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Good luck I hope they see sense and you don't have to take the legal root but I expect you probably will have to.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I found this online

If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.

You're entitled to a full or partial refund instead of a repair or replacement if any of the following are true:
  • a repair or replacement would cause you significant inconvenience
  • the repair would take an unreasonably long amount of time

Chances are a repair will take ages, plus if you've got trips planned ...

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Robert

Thanks for this. Will look into it.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Swift might have terms in their contract which they would like you to observe but you can't sign away your consumer rights so stick out for what you want.

David

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But the big ticket issue is:-
- water ingress from roof, damaging side panel, dining seating cushion and timber base to seat..!

Is this the new all plastic Swift which, they said in a video posted on here once, nothing rots so if water does leak no damage is done ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back