New 12v Socket

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by OddSocks, Apr 21, 2014.

1. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

I have a small inverter but when I plug it into the 12v cigarette type socket in the back of the motor-home it beeps and squeaks and fails to provide an output. This is with a 75w laptop power pack plugged in to a 150w inverter. I was told it was probably the wiring to the 12v socket which was the problem, and it is indeed not heavy duty wire. I checked it today.

Looking at the 12 volt shop I can get a 16Amp socket, cable and fuses to replace it all. But the current socket is wired all through the van, the wires go through the wall into the toilet/shower area, but are behind the wall mounted cupboards and sink unit, so I can't trace them back to the battery. How do people do this? I want to take them out not leave them all a dangle! But I don't want to take the whole toilet room apart either!

How do I connect this up to the battery? I was just going to add to the plethora of wires already attached, and bung a fuse on on the the lines. Is this right?

Do you think I would be better off leaving the current one as it is and just adding a new run back to the battery?

What's the best bet guys?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Nothing gained by taking the current one out besides I doubt the cable will pull through without causing damage. so the answer is simple run another to your side of the van using cable as heavy as you can physically manage. An extra point is always handy. Had you stayed we could have sourced one in Barnstable and got it fitted for you.

3. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

Thanks matey! :) Yeah - had to get back, my parents were going away the same day. We are now upgrading and testing and preparing for our next trip. May go to Linton, as it is an old family favourite.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

My invertor works fine off the 12v supply from the socket in the dashboard (engine running) but squeaks when using the 12v from the habitat area. I have always assumed the reason to be not enough volts!

Dunno if that helps ?

5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

• Like Like x 2
  6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

As Roger says, an extra 12v socket is always handy but why use an inverter to charge your laptop?

I've had a 12v charger similar to This One for years and used it successfully with various laptops and notebooks.

7. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

That is an inverter.

As said an extra socket is always useful. Use thick cables and keep them as short as possible.

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I thought an inverter changed the power from DC to AC, Mike. What I have is DC to DC so is plugged into the laptop direct rather than being an interface between the 12v socket and the standard mains charger.

9. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Wow! Thanks Philip, your description and drawings are impressive, I feel a little bit dim now :Blush: Your inverter is the same one that I have and I chose it for the same reasons (actually about 8 years ago for our boat).

:Smile:

• Like Like x 1