Never run out of Gas again! (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
Just seen a crowd funding application for a new device that tells you when your gas is running low. It sends a notification to your smartphone alerting you to the impending lack of Gas. This post is not meant to be an endorsement for crowd funding projects, simply a "heads-up" to Funsters of what might be a useful tool. You can see all about it Broken Link Removed. :) Needless to say I've supported it, I live in dread of SWMBO getting pointy nipples through lack of heater output! ;) Cheers. Terran

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
"Gas-Sense uses a patent pending thermal technology, to identify the exact height of the surface of the liquid."

this is old technology that has been around for ages, you can buy temperature level 'stick on indicators quite cheaply' . .. so I don't know how it has a patent pending..

the temperature difference between the gas and liquid at the interface level only works when gas is being drawn off to cause a difference in temperature.. you can sometimes see this line with frost on the bottle up to the liquid level..

harnessing to a Bluetooth TX is however a new idea.. how it will work in practice I am very skeptical.. but wish the project well..

I'll stick to the tried and tested twin bottle method.. .. when one runs out you change or refill it..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like hard work to me I just look at my Truma Duo a red LED comes on when the gas changes to the reserve cylinder, failing that can look at the float gauges on top on the cylinders.

But for the house I have a Nest, can turn the heating on remotely so we get back home to a nice warm house.:)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had thought of adding this feature to my hardware project. But I was going to use scales to measure the weight of the cylinder to determine the content level. I decided against it in the end as the cost doesn't justify the results. I now have a twin cylinder with auto changeover valve. It turns red when it has moved onto the second cylinder. I then go to the LPG station and refill.

Not sure of the benefit of knowing exact levels now I have this system in place. Got it all from Gasit and worked out really cheap and took me all of 10 minutes to fit.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I was going to use scales to measure the weight of the cylinder to determine the content level.

There was a device on the market some years ago..(can't recall who marketed it, well known brand) used a scale with a remote gauge.. but for me it's just something else to go wrong..
I like to keep things as simple as possble.. KISS ..

don't even like auto change over valves.. I have one on twin 19kg Propane bottles for my domestic cooker.. so I have to keep checking in case it changes over unnoticed.. would rather the flame just went out and I had change over manually.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
don't even like auto change over valves.. I have one on twin 19kg Propane bottles for my domestic cooker.. so I have to keep checking in case it changes over unnoticed.. would rather the flame just went out and I had change over manually.

Latest Truma's have an remote indicator LED changes from green to red when it changes to reserve bottle also has a regulator heater for cold weather.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
when away I just fill with auto gas and keep it toped up usually ever second day if we fill with diesel
I top up the gas
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back