Network help needed.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by olley, Mar 21, 2014.

1. olley

olley Funster

Hi guys we moved into our new (to us) flat last week, its the living accommodation for brother-in-laws pub which he doesn't use, he's fine with me connecting to his wifi, in fact just for me he's upgrading it to fibre next week. :thumb:

Now my question is can I pick up his signal and rebroadcast it as a different network for our lappys, phones, printers and what have you? He's thinking of making his wifi an open network for his clients, so I would like to be on our own secure network.

Ian

2. scholesman

scholesman Funster

Hi Olley
    I'm no expert and I wouldn't know if you can pick up his signal and rebroadcast it as a different network but to make yourself secure on an 'open network' you can use a VPN which encrypts all your data, making it ideal when you are aboard for checking your banking,watching BBC I Player etc etc but not sure what the cost would be long term.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

HI Ian,

When we lived at the pub in Kent I wanted to do the same thing.. so run a LAN cable from the router in the pub to my wireless router ..

Don't think you can do it wirelessly, but I may be wrong

4. olley

olley Funster

Hi Jim, but if your connected to the same router can't one wifi network see and access the other through the router?

Ian

5. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Would this do it?
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbu.../product-detail/ps/p/wireless-wi-fi-extender/

[​IMG]

Extend your home Wi-Fi network into hard-to-reach areas of your home or simply use it as a wireless router.

Features:

Four modes: Wireless Network Range Extender, Access-point, Wireless Router, Client-mode connecting to existing LAN devices
    Easy configuration
    5 status LEDs
    RJ45 network cable
    Compact dimensions: 49 x 75 x 71mm

I think that you lock down the extender...

Could be on the wrong track..

6. buttons

buttons Funster

I have an extender which plugs into the ring main from the router then then the second part plugs into the ring main and acts as a wireless router with it's own password etc.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think that is correct. A range extender simply extends the range of the main network - you still sign on to the network broadcast by the main router (we do here anyway :Smile:)

By making the physical cable connection you should be able to set up security on the second router (which broadcasts its own, separate, signal) to be secure/private.

• Like Like x 1
  8. olley

olley Funster

If I have to do it via a cable that should be ok as his office is directly below our lounge, pity I didn't think of this before as I have just laid a laminate floor in the lounge.:Doh:

Marvellous, you try to think of everything when rewiring, put tv sockets in all three bedrooms only to find she wants the tv on the otherside of the room.:Doh:

Ian

9. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Ian does this help?

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/public-wifi-security/

Or

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Dpyin-99M"]DD-WRT Tutorial: Create a secure and separate public guest network - YouTube[/ame]

:thumb:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Ian.. no..

the second router has it's own password.

To avoid the wireless signals interfering .. set them to different channels .. most routers come set to channel 6 or auto.. so set the pub router to 1 or 6 and the second one to 11

Plug the cable into any free port on the pub router and connect to the up-link port on yours.. labeled "WAN" or "Internet"

good luck with the new flat.. :Smile:

11. olley

olley Funster

Thanks Jim, they are converting him to fibre on Tuesday so I will set it up then. Everything seems to have gone wifi, new telly has wifi and so does the freesat decoder, guess the kettle will be next.:Rofl1:

Flat is getting there, still plenty to do as it hadn't been decorated since 87, we found that date under the wallpaper. For the last 4 years his son lived in it with two husky Alsation crosses, the dogs obviously got bored, as they tried to eat their way out of some of the rooms through the doors.:Smile:

Ian

12. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

NO sympathy, did you previously ask. :Rofl1:

Winge winge, just get on with it. I would of course offer to come and help. Regretfully, I'm tooooooooo busy siting in the sun out here in Portugal, at the moment eating pate on toast and quaffing cold beers. Sorry. :moon: :drink:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  13. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

If you would like to do this in the flat, but then be able to take the same kit on the road with you & do the same with any wi-fi signal you could access while in your M/H, then consider something like the iBoost from MotohomeWiFi.
    http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/iboost-d8-directional-system/

If you were a networking whizz kid, you could put a similar setup together for yourself & save a few quid, as I'm sure someone will be along to tell you shortly. But if you were a networking whiz kid, you wouldn't have been asking the question in the first place. :BigGrin:

Adam & Sophie, who run MotorhomeWiFi, know what they are talking about & have taken the hard work out of the job. They also offer a good after-sales service if you do need any help. It's down to individual choice, but personally I think the peace of mind is worth a few quid.

For home use, make sure you also order the mains power supply.

If you don't ever want to use Wi-Fi in the M/H, then I would go with ScotJimland's suggestion. You can combine the two, because you can run a cable into the iBoost from the pub router as well as/instead of picking up the wireless signal.

14. olley

olley Funster

Hope you get sunburnt, stomach bug and the beers off. :BigGrin: Thanks for your offer of help Mike, but I already have someone to make the tea.:Rofl1:

Wish I was over there. :Sad:

Already have a WD wifi router so I will hard wire it to his modem caller, but thanks for the info.

Ian

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  15. sabrinadestiny

sabrinadestiny Read Only Funster

16. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Slightly off topic but I have found it useful to replace the electric mains sockets with ones that incorporate USB connectors. No more messing about with chargers, just plug the in directly. Each one has two integral USB outlets. USB has become so widely used it will probably become the norm for mains sockets, I reckon.

Wyn

17. sabrinadestiny

sabrinadestiny Read Only Funster

Thats too techy for me :p