Netherlands and cyclists

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Caggsie, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Caggsie

Caggsie Read Only Funster

We are off to the Netherlands next weekend, what is the law on cylists and road user priorities?

regards

Karen

2. geoff587

geoff587 Read Only Funster

Cyclists have supreme right of way, they are a protected species in the Netherlands :Smile:

3. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

Hi Caggsie

You will find that in most places Cyclist have their own paths and traffic lights. The Netherlands is Brilliant for people on a bike - most of the population have one and its one of the safest places to cycle. The Dutch always without fail ride two aside chatting where ever they are in the world.

Which part are you off to?

Sonja

4. Caggsie

This may seem a silly extension of the question, but if say we are at a traffic light and it is green do they still have the right of way? Have been to Amsterdam before but as a flying tourist this is the first time we have driven over there.

regards

karen

5. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

You will find that unless the road is particularly narrow or city centre that there is always a cycle path along side the road (seperate).

But in my Opinion the answer to your question is yes. As Geoff587 says the cyclist are a protected species and most traffic gives way to them - unlike this country where is seem no body takes any notice.

Sonja

6. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Yes!!
    I have driven right through Amsterdam and would never ever again. The cyclists there are quite totally mad........insane. They ride where they want, how they want to, and basically please themselves. They are a law unto themselves.

Drive in Amsterdam at your own peril.

7. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

8. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

"most traffic gives way to them"????
    They don't give you chance to give way!!

9. Caggsie

Sonja,

A little bit of a tour, off to the west coast, about 30 miles from Amsterdam and a few miles from Kuekenhof, the name escapes me, a CC site, then to Delft and then Brugge. abit of a whizzy tour from Sunday to Fri Looking forward to it. Went to Germany last year, throughly enjoyed it and starting to stretch our wings. Have been to Amsterdam for a few years but by air and watching the traffic there it seemed very different to our roads. Having to watch for Trams and cyclist, even though the lights were on green, seems abit alien. Having said that, I'll do this side of the channel and other half will do the european side.

regads

karen

10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Although as previously said, there is usually a cycle path, where there isn't cycles have priority over pedestrians on the footpath. Watch out for 50cc scooters which have the same rights as cyclists, keep out of their way.:Eek!:

That said, for getting around Amsterdam, get a bike, or hire one from practically anywhere. Or stay at one of the campsites and get a tram into the city.

I hired a bike there once, no gears and practically no brakes, some seem to date from the 1900s.:Wink:

11. Caggsie

Amsterdam is on the visit list but not in the motorhome, via tram/train/bus, whichever is easiest. The plan was Kuekenhof, but as the weather hasn't been too good and our flowers aren't out, I'm going to assume that theirs won't be either, but very flexible on that. Will wnquire once there.

regards

Karen

12. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

You will have a great time Karen. Hope the weather stays good for you and Brugge is lovelly as well.

My family are from the Netherlands and I have always used a cycle over there from an early age.

I had a peddle backwards for the brakes with no gears one (interesting ride) and I'm sure it was a pre 1900 antique. I suppose cyclists in the Netherlands are a bit luny but I think its just the way the dutch are:Wink:

We also buy our bikes from the same shop in Appledorn and I am returning this summer to upgrade my bike.

Sonja

13. Caggsie

Bikes are at the ready. Only had them for 19mths and are rust buckets. Cheapies from halfords, Raleigh (what utter rubbish now) Used to have one of those bikes when we lived in Germany(dad was in army) I love them. They do tend to be be very tall though - from what I have seen - i'm a tad vertically challenged so not good for me.

Karen

14. pieterv

pieterv Read Only Funster

In some cities (e.g. The Hague) they have (or at least had when I still lived in Holland) a very dangerous (if you are not aware of it) arrangement of traffic lights, where right turning cars can have a green light, but straight on bikes on their bike paths will also have green. So, you might think it is safe to turn right, afterall your light is green, and plow straight into a bike!

Watch out!

15. Shore-is-Good

Shore-is-Good Read Only Funster

...which is why I shall never, ever, drive my motorhome to the Netherlands, ever, ever again:Nowink:

The cyclosuicidists are freekin' nuts!

16. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi Karen, your bikes maybe rust buckets,:Wink: they have lots of them there.:BigGrin:
    But still lock them up.:Doh:

We watched them fishing one day, and was amazed how many they got....:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

:Doh::Laughing: Bob.

Attached Files:

17. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Fabulous place Amsterdam , went twice on the Tall Ships, Jubilee Sailing Trust , STS Nelson and STS Tenacious, great fun . Also been to Floriade, brilliant :thumb: