netbook/notebook recommendations please (1 Viewer)

gj1023

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
1 week lol
not that i know of, be easier to get a netbook and a usb cd/dvd rom

Gary

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
my toshiba didnt
i dont think netbooks do
to smaller chassis/case
they are available with xp or win7striped down lower than basic
£70 for the upgrade:Eeek:

best getting a cheap lappy time you add upgrade win 7 and cd caddy
£300 -£350 £70+£50_£100:Eeek: = a reasonable lappy
mind you notebooks are small and easy to hide/loose:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As with any computer purchase the main thing to consider is what it is to be used for so that you can decide if a particular machine is capable of what is required (with added peripherals like USB CD/DVD drive if necessary).

The other thing to consider when comparing netbooks to laptops is portability. We definitely find the netbook wins over the laptop for use with the van but that may not be the same for all.

Graham

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks graham,
portability is high on the list as my lappy is rather heavy after a while.

main use would be internet browsing, document storage etc.

some of my installed programs are on disc hence the cd drive question but i suppose i could copy the discs to usb pen and use that.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I first bought the netbook I copied some CDs to USB stick to enable installation of software or copied them to the hard drive over the network. I've since bought a USB CD/DVD re-writer because we need one from time to time for other purposes and it works fine.

Graham

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I use a small 14.1 screen hp laptop, stacks of ram and hd for digis also dvd drive. Not over cumbersome when travelling :thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
i'm looking for a new netbook/notebook.

do any come with a cd/dvd drive ?

any recommendations please :thumb:

Hi pappajohn
I have a Asus E 900 notebook, it runs well, a good screen, but no cd/dvd drive . there are external drives available though....

When I purchased this I was made aware of some of the netbooks had a large inner frame on thee screen ( hope this makes snse to you) where as the Asus EC 910 does not have a large inner screen

Hope you find what you need

Kath

ticktok

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Kent (South Coast)
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
5 Years
I bought a net book for a recent few week trip to France and Spain, found it to be OK and it worked well but perhaps not as portable as at first it seems by the time you have a USB CD drive, a decent mouse, USB stick, charger etc. As I never put it in my pocket anyway I have now swapped it for a small laptop, more powerful, a fitted CD drive, a useable keyboard and touchpad (I have home made hands) and a fair sized screen. One downside though the battery lasts only about a third as long.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Mention of battery life reminds me that is one thing I never thought to check when I bought the Acer netbook. Turned out to be a pretty pathetic 2 hours if lucky. I was able to buy a 6 hour battery though and that is fine. Something to consider when pricing though.

Graham

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Mention of battery life reminds me that is one thing I never thought to check when I bought the Acer netbook. Turned out to be a pretty pathetic 2 hours if lucky. I was able to buy a 6 hour battery though and that is fine. Something to consider when pricing though.

Graham

John (Papperjohn) the Hp mini 210 netbook I have just purchased two weeks ago ...no cd/dvd drive....but it does have a 9.5 battery life....well pleased:thumb::thumb:

Mel:thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Papa we have two Asus EEE PC's, they have an SD card slot for expansion as I presume most do, use your lappy to copy what you want onto the SD card, and then slot it into the netbook. The Asus can use SDHC cards so one's got an 8gig and the other a 16gig, just bought an 8gig for the daughters camera, £15.00

Battery life is good, at least 3 hours and bigger packs are available, but its all more weight. I have it in a small case I have over my shoulder, and that's not to bad, but I wouldn't want to carry anything heavier for long.

Olley

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
HI,

I have a small Samsung Laptop lightweight and very portable, it is an older one so in order to save on weight at that time they had a seperate CD/DVD rewriter however the new ones have all built in and come in at around 2kg's still which seems to be the target weight for what is considered lightweight, also has a slot for a SIM card for mobile internet better than carrying a dongle

Hope this helps, good luck :thumb:

Gary

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back