Nervous Dog in Motorhome

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Mike W, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Mike W

Mike W Funster

We have a six year old Labradoodle called Molly who always goes everywhere with us. She jumps into the hatchback of our cars without any problem whatsoever excited to see where we are going. During the journey she sometimes pops up to look but most of the time she remains curled up asleep.

Last week we went away for the first time in our first motorhome and Molly was so frightened she was shaking. Eventually we had to stop so my Wife Kathy could go back and strap into one of the travelling seats to sit with her and try to calm her.While we were away she had no problem sleeping in the motorhome and was happy to jump in and out cheekily even jumping up onto the seats but the stress on the return trip was no better. Why does she react so badly to the movement when she is so good in cars?

2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Our Cocker Spaniel was the same, she's done thousands of miles in our cars with zero issues - we think it was the rattles & bumps in the MH - now she's done a few trips she's fine.

Hope yours will be too :)

3. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I think it's the sheer size of the motorhome. If you think about it, a dog probably thinks of the motorhome as a room. Looks like a room, feels like a room, smells like a room - and then it moves, and it rattles as it does. One dog on its own is probably at a bit of a loss as to what to do. I think the reason I never had any problems with mine was because 2 dogs, 2 cats made their own pack and they just curled up together.

Try a travel gate, or some harness/restraint where she's close to you. And there was lots of advice on other thread as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Our youngest dog was the same the first time we took her out last year and now she travels better than the older dog. She now makes sure she is the first one in the motorhome when we go away.

• Like Like x 1
  6. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Aaaw that's a shame for Molly. Maybe try putting in her dog bed from home so that it's familiar. The one thing not to do is pet the dog. Our trainer told us just to ignore the dig when he's scared otherwise they see it as being rewarded for being frightened.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mike W

Mike W Funster

Thank you so much for all your help. We are off again next week so we will see how it goes and I will let you all know.

Mike..

• Like Like x 1
  8. kev1

kev1 Funster

Hi mike
    always a worry
    However I am sure she will adapt
    stack lots of familier things around her
    and then as she gets used to the van you can remove a few at a time
    Kev

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ours loves it in the motorhome I suspect because he feels on of the gang rather than shut up in the back of the car travelled 300 miles on Tuesday no problem!!. Try stopping at Greggs next time for a pasty its his favourite bit of the journey!!

10. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

We put our dog into a padded collapsible crate whilst travelling. She is more than happy to enter the crate of her own accord, but she never sleeps, and is laid down but always with her head up.

Once we are pitched up she settles down unless there are fireworks, or as recently happened, a numptie Funster decided to bang the van several times as he walked past. This did wonders for our already firework stressed dog. :swear2:

11. jessthedog

jessthedog Funster

Maybe, dont let the wife drive it again!:LOL:

12. Mike W

Mike W Funster

Things have moved on a bit now......

We have managed to do quite a few trips so far this year. Molly is still reluctant to get into the motorhome when we set off, and she doesn't really relax while we are moving, but now at least she has stopped the shaking which means that Kathy can ride up front with me.

We have had some amusing incidents. Once in Wales she made us and the other people on the small site we were on laugh by laying in the middle of the field as far away as possible while we packed up. It took several calls and the promise of a gravy bone to get her to join us!

Next trip is to Salisbury on the 24th for the Christmas Market.

• Like Like x 1
  13. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I have had a silly funster do that on my van in the past ... iriot. :( .. guess they are everywhere these days.

14. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Our dog was so stressed, he started smoking again :(

15. Speve

Speve Funster

Our terrier Murphy is nervous when in van we put a small cage in for him to travel in as it makes him feel a bit more secure, but he is still restless has been for last four years, as soon as we stop he's up like a shot can't wait to see where we are but much like yours he's very reluctant to get back in.

16. Zoppydog

Zoppydog Funster

I have every sympathy, our Springer is the same. We usually have to go pick her up and put her in the MoHo when setting off. I agree with Hollyberry, the noise in the back of the MoHo is greater than I expected, even with everything "padded" to reduce the rattling.
    Still doesn't really settle when travelling, 4 years now, but enjoys all other aspects of our travels.
    Doesn't seem to affect her in any other way so we have had to give up worrying, or try to
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  17. jnn

jnn Funster

No expert (mine haven't travelled in my, currently being converted, van yet) but lots of experience of retired greyhounds who associate vehicles with bad things. Things I'd try:

Building an insulated frame around the crate or bed. Those foam floor squares built as a cube or thick carpet would block out a lot of the rattles and also create a more car like environment.

a treat feeder in there. If very stressed they'll not be interested in it, but when slightly less stressed they might. Settle into the van eating from feeder before beginning journey. Eg a Kong with something extra special, or a kitchen roll inner with fish biscuits - or if you're my two a kitchen roll ...

ADAPTIL (pheromone) spray throughout the van and especially in their bed. If on hook up you could use a diffuser, if not the spray is same stuff.

Lots of short journeys to local and positive places - with my Berty Boo greyhoudn, who hated the car, he and I would make a weekly trip to the chippy, he'd have a fish I'd have the chips, whilst sat in the boot of the car.

Calm reassuring confidence from yourselves. They look to us for cues as to what to think of situations, don't totally ignore the fear but let them see that you're not afraid.

One word of caution, the no longer trembling might not be as positive as it appears, sometimes it reflects resignation to the fear whilst still being just as afraid.

18. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Our Labrador ( who sadly died a few weeks ago) hated travelling in the car and was very anxious in the motorhome, wanting to be as close to us as possible when we were driving. The only way she would settle is if she was lying between the front seats between us, and we accepted this was the only way we were all going to travel together. Our other dog, ( a beagle) travels in his bed in the front passenger footwell and as he is the only dog now, we can move his bed across a little so Mrs A finally has room for her feet.

19. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Would it help to go on the van when at home, take the dog and have a cuppa so they get more familiar with it?