Neismann + Bischoff Good In Snow? (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hi,

We are still trying to make up our minds about purchasing the Neismann &Bischoff Alto 76.

One of the things we want to be able to do is to use the vehicle when we go skiing in the French Alps. As we understand it, only Hymers with Mercedes chassis have rear wheel drive. We're unsure how the N&B would cope in snow. We'd probably out snow tyres on it but we're still unsure how it would perform.

Also anyone have advice regarding camp sites, general tips for such a trip.

Thanks

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I think you are under the wrong impression here,,,, not all motorhomes have rear wheel drive, and especially Hymer,s as the make of the motorhome has nothing to do with the chassis,,, therefore a hymer for instance can have a Mercedes chassis or a fiat chassis but only a Mercedes chassis with a twin rear wheel set up has rear wheel drive and diff lock and ASC (anti slip control),, and fiat's/Citroen's/Renault's are front wheel drive and pretty useless in snow or even wet grass on a slight slope???????, therefore if you need a rear wheel drive and a diff lock the only choice really is a Mercedes chassis although some have a Iveco chassis which are normally rear wheel drive as well but not all have a diff lock. Bets of Luck, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The IVECO chassis is rear wheel drive and the diff lock is an option when the vehicle is ordered so is not on all used vehicles, when the diff lock is fitted it is a proper mechanical diff lock.
As far as I know the Mercedes chassis does not have a mechanical diff lock, it uses the brakes to stop a wheel from spinning and thereby sending power to the wheel with grip. I would rather have a mechanical 100% lock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
As far as I know the Mercedes chassis does not have a mechanical diff lock, it uses the brakes to stop a wheel from spinning and thereby sending power to the wheel with grip. I would rather have a mechanical 100% lock.[/QUOTE]

I have a Mercedes rear wheel drive with mechanical diff lock,,,,, it has a switch on dashboard to operate it therefore it is a mechanical diff lock, also has an ASC (anti slip control) control switch which sounds like what you are saying is a diff lock to stop wheel spinning by sending power to other wheel with grip, mine is a 2001 410 4.6t Mercedes Frankia.
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi,

We are still trying to make up our minds about purchasing the Neismann &Bischoff Alto 76.

One of the things we want to be able to do is to use the vehicle when we go skiing in the French Alps. As we understand it, only Hymers with Mercedes chassis have rear wheel drive. We're unsure how the N&B would cope in snow. We'd probably out snow tyres on it but we're still unsure how it would perform.

Also anyone have advice regarding camp sites, general tips for such a trip.

Thanks

Hi Oriel

When it comes to chassis features the maker of the motorhome is irrelevant, BUT not all motorhomes are available on all chassis. The Arto is only available on the FWD Fiat chassis so if you want RWD Niesmann+Bischoff you have to go for the larger Flair which comes on the IVECO chassis, some older ones had Mercedes chassis option but not anymore. You are right about Hymer using the Mercedes chassis for some of their motorhomes as do other manufacturers, the Mercedes could be the lighter single rear wheel axle or the heavier 5ton twin rear wheel axle and if you are looking for something to go mud plugging in fields I would say go for twin rear wheel option.

Lots of people have FWD motorhomes and go Skiing in the winter with no problems, I think the traction issue is more important is you are going to go on a lot of muddy/grassy fields and sites.

My other advice is try to ask basically one question per post so if you want to know about camp sites when you go skiing start another thread in the appropriate forum with a title relevant to your question.

Martin

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
RWD is available on motorhomes built on Mercedes (mainly Sprinter) Iveco and some Ford chassis.
Adding to earlier comments, the set-up on a Sprinter must vary according to model (but they're all RWD). Mine is a 2003 316 chassis with 5-speed auto box. It has single rear wheels, ASC (which works by applying braking to the spinning wheel and adjusting engine power) but no diff-lock.

Upvote 0

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have been driving to the mountains to ski, up to 3 times a year for the last 20 years. (always in cars) I can say that whatever drive you have, four wheel, front wheel, rear wheel, there is only one thing that makes the difference. Snow tyres. There some interesting videos online, one in particular was at the snowdome and had the same vehicle, I think a Ford, in two variants, 4 wheel and 2 wheel drive. Without snow tyres they were both the same, bordering useless. Snow tyres had them both up the slope to the top. Now admitedly the 4 wheel appeared more relaxed, but they both got there without hassle.
My experince has been similar with Audi Quatro's, and an Allroad, no snow tyres all sorts of grief but likely losing traction in a worse place as over confidence led you into the mire. Snow tyres makes you invincible, well perhaps an over statement but the grip is outstanding.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Totally agree with Michael @sallylillian about snow tyres, to me the main advantage of twin rear wheel rear axle is that with 4 tyres on the ground you are exerting less ground pressure and not as likely to sink and dig in to muddy fields.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just a thought, if you are worried about traction, how about carrying a traction device, like go-claws for example? I've read good things about them. Personally when I get bogged I go and find someone with a land rover and buy them a beer :D

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Front wheel drive will be fine for skiing. You will just have to fit your chains more regularly than you would with RWD.
You won't be alone!

The winterisation of the N+B is far more important to you than where the drive wheels are. The Alpine roads are well maintained in the ski season.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back