Need to improve my Reversing Camera performance (1 Viewer)

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
My reversing camera is rubbish! A very faint picture at all times and very little colour (apart from white flashing from road markings at night).

I can just see enough to park, but I would like to improve the image.........and maybe, just maybe, have a twin camera at the rear, so that I have a 'rear view mirror'. But I don't want the effort/disturbance/cost of a full rewire and replacement.

The monitor has a 13 pin din and settings for up to 3 cameras. On a googled thread for the same monitor, with the same issue, it turned out to be the camera that was at fault. The camera may be the same make, but has no markings on it.

The camera to cable connection is in the central rear locker and is a 4 pin screw-fit Din connection. I'm wondering whether a twin camera could be fitted directly to this or whether it would need more connections. Before I break something, does anyone have any knowledge or advice?

Rev Mon.jpg
Rev Mon rear.jpg
Rev Mon plug.jpg
Rev Cam.jpg
Camera Din.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The plug you show is a standard 4 pin plug used on a lot of systems so providing the pin connection are the same should be easy to swap camera/monitor.
Have a word with the guy that runs Reversing Cameras UK, he should be able to help and his products are good quality.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
My reversing camera is rubbish! A very faint picture at all times and very little colour (apart from white flashing from road markings at night
I had a similar issue with one of the twin cameras I fitted...
Very poor quality picture compared to the other camera...
It was new and was replaced by the seller without any problems.

I'm wondering whether a twin camera could be fitted directly to this or whether it would need more connections. B
The twin cameras I've fitted have all had twin plug set up at each end of a single cable.. the alternative would have been to run two single cables..
Might be worth asking one of the main sellers if there are kits about that could adapt/split your single cable..
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
The plug you show is a standard 4 pin plug used on a lot of systems so providing the pin connection are the same should be easy to swap camera/monitor.
Have a word with the guy that runs Reversing Cameras UK, he should be able to help and his products are good quality.

Yes I am planning to contact him and have already looked at his website, based your your previous recommendations.

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I should have said that the system has sound but, that's less important to me than having a rear view camera as well as a reversing one.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I should have said that the system has sound but, that's less important to me than having a rear view camera as well as a reversing one.
We have sound on our system - the boss shouting "what did you hit that for".

Just looking Reversing Cameras site I could have got adaptor for the Waco cables, but they are expensive twice the price of putting a new cable in, anyway it's done now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
We have sound on our system - "the boss shouting "what did you hit that for".

Just looking Reversing Cameras site I could have got adaptor for the Waco cables, but they are expensive twice the price of putting a new cable in, anyway it's done now.

I have just emailed Chris!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Mine is quite good a producing a picture until the road dirt and rain cover the lenses, anyone have an idea to keep it off them, they are under a moulded fibreglass cover as well but it still get all over them.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
At the camera plug.....
One pin will be v+ (to power the camera)
One pin will be v- (to earth the camera)
One pin will be video
One pin will be audio

So no, you cant run multiple cameras from that wire.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980

I too would love to fit a twin lens camera but also have a Waco. I was advised at a motorshow that Waco adaptor bits are more expensive than a whole new twin lens camera and monitor- fitted! As the Waco sound is poor and the picture flashes if parked in a hot sun, it may have to go.

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
At the camera plug.....
One pin will be v+ (to power the camera)
One pin will be v- (to earth the camera)
One pin will be video
One pin will be audio

So no, you cant run multiple cameras from that wire.

But, in theory(?), could the audio wire at the monitor end be transferred to video? Okay, first at the camera end, I would need to know that the wires were arranged correctly as well.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
It will work OK if the cables are individually screened but if it is an overall screen as both cameras will be on you may get ghosting or refections (hard edges on the edge of objects).

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
It will work OK if the cables are individually screened but if it is an overall screen as both cameras will be on you may get ghosting or refections (hard edges on the edge of objects).

On my monitor, you select camera 2 or 3 as the rear view and then it switches to 1 when you select reverse.

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Well, I've just had an excellent response from Chris at Reversing Cameras UK.
1. He suspects that my camera has a Sharp CCD sensor, which is notorious for the faults that I have
2. A Sony CCD camera would be a big improvement
3. A twin camera system would require re-cabling (I will have to see if I can trace the existing wiring right through and so use the same route)
4. In 5-6 months new digital AHD systems will be coming into the market and, because they are digital, they may well be able to use the existing cable, but would require a new monitor as well as the camera.
Food for thought :think:

OP
OP
WhiteCheyenneMan

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Yes but both cameras would be powered sending video signals down the cable hence could be problematic if the cable has an overall screen.

Yes Lenny, Chris confirmed your view: "The twin lens camera is two cameras in one and needs 2 screened cores inside the cable running front to back. We did try using adaptors on a single 4 pin cable, but you did get some cross talk between the two channels."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back