need some quick advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Laura F, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Laura F

Laura F Funster

Hi all,

I am new and really just want a quick reasurance that I am doing the right thing. My self and the husband are going to view a Hymer Fiat B455 1996 2.5 turbo 88k later on in a position to buy.

I have already reduced the asking price to £13,500, the van looks clean from the photos.

But ... The is no hot water coming out of the pipes, the is cold water and hot air for the heating. I have read round and can see this is a well document problem that can go all the way to needing a new boiler.

On the mot the is an oils leak as an advisory, I am not fritened by oil leeks, I think half of my cars have had them and understand that as long as it's a minimum think and an eye is kept on it the van could still go for years.

My question is this, is the van worth £12,500 with these problems, I have tried to use completed listings, auto trader ect to value the van but the is very little out there to compare it with ??? Any help before I make a large bank transfire later and join the club will not fall on deaf ears.

Thanks Laura X

2. Laura F

Laura F Funster

I did a typo, it's £12,500 not £13,500

3. buttons

buttons Funster

Hi and Welcome......(y) Sorry I cant help with your question.

4. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

When you say "no hot water from the pipes" The water will need to be heated for some time to get hot water. This would either be on gas or electric and the system needs to be heated up for the water to come out hot. Are you able to do this?

Wyn

5. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Probably. There are more factors involved, such as general condition, any damp smells inside, tyres etc. Get a search going as to it's previous MOT record. My own engine has now done around 140,000 miles, and has a tiny oil leak.
    A much sort after van, providing that all the boxes are ticked.

Oh, and welcome to *FUN*.....(y)

6. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi and welcome' I think thats a hard one to answer unless you can see the condition of the van me personally if i had any doubts something wasn't worth the asking price to me then i wouldn't buy it.

7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

maybe give us a link to the advert we might have a better idea

• Like Like x 2
  8. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Is it a private sale? If so you need to get a full HPI check done on it first! Also make sure the seller is selling it from the address on the V5!! Hot water issue is not the end of the world but as mentioned before, damp etc. could be, perhaps buy a cheap damp meter? Is there anyone else you could take with you who is knowledgeable about motorhomes?

9. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

:hiya2: & :welcome3::):)

Good advice above (y)

10. BONZO

BONZO Funster

Hi and welcome john n Linda . Good look with your new mh .
    You all ways get teething problems . That why we sell them . and the new ones are just as bad lol .

• Like Like x 1
  11. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome .. Hymer and £12,500 together don't sound bad but there is so much to look at .. bodywork, tyres, electrics ... worth putting advert on here and you will get loads of help if you join.

Once a member and a mh owner there are lots of people to help re individual jobs that may crop up.

Good luck in making right decision. Joy

12. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

If in real doubt get a mobile engineer to do a full hab and damp check. £100-£150
    Find one near the seller, book and pay them and get report sent to you..
    http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/search/

Ref the water.. May be as simple as not set up ie water not filled and any air locks removed. as said how have you heated the water ?? Worst case knackered boiler..
    Can you get same one for a 1996 van, i'm not sure but do a web search. Someone will know..

13. Laura F

Laura F Funster

Thanks every one for the advice, we have had a good look though the MOTS for the last 6 years or so, they are are fine, normal stuff like tiers and lights and brakes.

Just looking now at nipping to get a damp meater, any recommendations ? I am close to most shops as I am in central Manchester.

I will do the HPI check now it's not worth the risk not to.

I will post a link in a bit when I have done the HPI check X

14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hymer is quality built van, as they are not built with timber frames and plywood that can rot .. damp is seldom a problem. Hymer use a build system called PUAL .. (google it) so if there is water ingress, say at a window seal, it won't rot the coachwork.

but without seeing and inspecting it's not possible to say if it's a good buy or not.. get someone to go with you who knows what to look for.. a new Truma boiler is not cheap.. that would be my main concern....

£12.5k is a lot of money and there are plenty of secondhand Hymers to look at..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Laura F

Laura F Funster

The HPI looks good, I will need to check the other numbers later when I am at the van x

Attached Files:

16. Laura F

Laura F Funster

The husband is capable at looking for rot, rust ect and my nose will sell damp in 2 seconds. So a damp meter will not show any thing? We are basically looking at normal water issues, seals ect.

I am ply asking as we looked at a swift a couple of weeks ago and lucky we googled the damp problems as the floor had gone in it, that's why we when straight back to looking at Hymers

• Like Like x 1
  17. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

There are lots of posts on here about people who have thought that and sadly not found out how wrong they were until it was too late.

A damp meter will pick up moisture long before it's bad enough to be detected any other way.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Hello and welcome! :WelcomeFlag:You will get loads of help and advice . Best £15 we've spent joining here! Good luck!

19. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

It not the damp or rot you can see
    It's what you can't see or don't notice not many vans that age will be totally damp free
    As for boiler it could be anything from low water a fuse to knackered
    Plus all the above we have all missed things I did a lost 4K on a van

Take care lots of folks have been caught out

And welcome to the mad house called fun

20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster