Need some help please (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stardream
Exp
Since 2011
I want to go to the motorbike testing early March in Almeria in my motorhome.
Never been through France in winter or Spain ever.
Intend to use the tunnel and drive down.
Any do's, don'ts, places to stop please ?

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I think I would cross the Pyrenees on the East Coast. Make sure your tyres are in good shape and take those tyre socks that give you grip in snow. Personally, I would not pay the price of the tunnel but then again we use a 3 trip season ticket on P&O which gives us flexibility and a good price.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and Welcome to Fun, it could be worth joining the Motorbike Group on Fun, could be of interest :welc:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Look in the resources section above where you can download a file on my route used to Benidorm.
Has some info that may be of use, March can be hit or miss with the weather but fingers crossed should not be that bad. You can go down to Alicante by that route and then follow the coast.
Or after the Border at Irun, Northern Spain maybe go via Burgos, Madrid and straight down.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
I've traveled down there many times in March, on two occasions on a motorbike, never had a problem with the weather at that time of year, the tunnel is better than a ferry, quick and convenient, but its a long, long drive through France, I've taken bikes down to Salobrena in my Transit a couple of times using the tunnel, both non-stop trips and as tonka says cross the border at Irun, northern Spain and go via Burgos, Madrid etc, however the best way of getting to Spain is on the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao/Santander, then you have no concerns about traveling through France

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A lot will depend on how long you have

For me I would maybe use the motorway to get away from Calais, heading for Rouen, the first bit is free

Then either pay a few euros for the bit down to Abbeville or come off and use the non toll roads, rejoin at Abbeville it is free to Rouen

We can and do get right down to the med without paying tolls

Last October we went down to Granada and used aires for the first time in anger, didn't pay for one, only one had a charge and they didn't come round to collect

As above posts, check the resources area and have fun

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Agree you should cross at Irun from now until late Feb or March but then travel to Pamplona, Zaragoza, Teruel, Valencia, Alicante, Murcia, Almeria ....(y)

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stardream
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for info.
Bit of a wus, I usually use ferry but don't want to start day sea sick.
I am retired so plenty of time :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back