Free Member
May 19, 2013
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
trailer/caravan
Exp
im a newbie
Ok Im making a caravan (as such) I need to power:12v lights (18w total), my mac, 2 camera chargers, 5w shower pump and maybe a fan.

What is the best way to power this lot for as cheap as possible?

I looked into to solar but its so expensive to do it correctly, Im travelling for 3 months.

I assume i need a few leisure batteries and a 240v converter but what is the best way to charge the batteries and failing best whats the cheapest?

I have a dwindling budget and even less time to sort it!

In advance, Thank you ever so much for any advice you can offer me!!!!!!!!

Many thanks

Kieran

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why do you say solar is expensive... £100 -£120 ish on ebay will get you an 80w panel, regulator and fittings.. Hook that to a leisure battery and off you go...

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Easiest way is to just have a split charge relay such as this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durite-Vo...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item19d8a150d3
fitted to vehicle and feeding a battery or bank of batteries in the caravan. This might not be the best way but is certainly the cheapest and pretty failsafe as long as you travel quite a bit, if you intend to use mains hook-ups even occasionally it would pay to the add something like the Zig X70 charger. There are of course better ways but a lot more money involved such as using a battery to battery charger like this Link Removed
together with a better battery charger for when on mains hook up may be something like these http://www.sp-shop.co.uk/Sterling-P...12V-60A-Battery-Charger-PN-PCU1260-3-OUT.html or variations of them as you can see there are quite a few variations available depending on your budget and your style of camping

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you wont do anything cheaply on a motorhome/caravan.

if you intend staying off sites then you will need a couple of batteries minimum (£70+ each) and a means of charging them....solar (£100+) battery to battery charger (£60 ish) or a generator.....split charge relay will maintain a charged battery but will take many hours of running the engine to charge a flat battery.

solar works fine on a sunny day but not worth carrying the thing on a dull day.

generator is most reliable method but a half decent one will cost in excess of £300 and you still need a battery charger as well.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Easy and cheapest way is a split relay (£10 ish ) to charge batterys from engine then as big a amp hr battery charger for when on hook up (10 amp hr battery charger about £25 ish) should be ok but if you have more money go for a 3way charger but that will be more dpending on size in amp hours (20 amps £100 and over )
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Dut...574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19d75a483e
Link Removed
Link Removed
the relays can be found cheaper :winky:
terry

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you are travelling in the sun then solar is ideal,as once fitted it costs nothing. A generator will need fuel as well as it's original cost. Staying on sites with ehu will cost even more, though if you are doing so then the electricity is usually included, so effectively free, and chargers can be very cheap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

buttmunch

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Canterbury
Funster No
MH
trailer/caravan
Exp
im a newbie
Why do you say solar is expensive... £100 -£120 ish on ebay will get you an 80w panel, regulator and fittings.. Hook that to a leisure battery and off you go...

Hi, appreciate the reply, Would a 80w be enough then? Ive been looking but when u add regulator 2-3 batteries, 12v-240v convertor kinda adds up! if one 80w will do the job (in spain) then this will make it cheaper!
Cheers

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back