Need repair help in Alentejo region (1 Viewer)

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We are currently near Evoramonte at Camping Alentejo and have a problem with our fresh water pipes and boiler. We've been aware of fresh water dripping from underneath for a few days and have tried to solve it by checking the drop valve beside the boiler. We let some water out and then closed it again - it didn't help. This morning the boiler stopped working briefly from overheating - we put more water in and it worked again. It's very cold here at night so we're worried about the loss of water and the potential for having no gas heating.
Does anyone know where we could get some help? It might just be that a pipe is loose but being two ladies of mature years we're not able (or willing) to get underneath and have a look. The problem with water of course is that it dribbles all over the place so finding the exact exit point would be a problem, even if we had the faintest idea what we were doing.
Feeling a bit down this morning. Portugal, outside of the Algarve, seems to be have very little in the way of possible repairers.
Mags

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Is there anyone on your camping site that could help -you may need to ask

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In the meantime ....
If you've got Truma blown air heating it will continue to work without water.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The site owner there is a very helpful man he would probably be able to help with a repairer or even sort it for you try asking him.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
The site owner there is a very helpful man he would probably be able to help with a repairer or even sort it for you try asking him.
Unfortunately he is on holiday and his brother is running the place. I'll ask him though.
Thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As Robert said, Truma air heating works without water.

I'd expect all pipes to be inside, hiding in corners. Grab a torch and a towel and get on your mature hands and knees and have a good look.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In that case I can't understand why it went off earlier until we put more water into the system. I think it overheated.
They can overheat - and then cool down and reset

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I've checked the dump valve on the boiler. It's working normally (manual type) When I lift it, it drops water and then close it it stops. Immediately refills with water as normal so the boiler issue is a red herring I think. The water seems to be coming from the fresh water tank. We're losing half a tank in about 12 hours. So I think it's either the tank itself or the pipes running from the tank.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
hi try tommy just the other side of faro 00351916518141 camperservice
We're a couple of hundred miles north of Faro just now. if the worst comes to it we'll drive back to the Algarve to see them. Thanks for the number.
Mags

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I see that you did have a problem back in Feb where you found the dump valve so it doesn't sound like it's that as you already have checked it out.
There could be an automatic dump valve somewhere else that may be causing the problem it's just a case of finding it,but usually if you keep the heating running it would keep the van warm enough to stop it activating so as you say it may be a pipe joint worked loose probably best to get in touch with the guy at Faro as suggested.
Hope you get it sorted it's turned very cold here in Cabo if you are getting the same you need heating.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So I think it's either the tank itself or the pipes running from the tank.

We were with FUNsters who had just that problem. It was simply the plug, in the plug hole at the bottom of the tank had eased out of place. Find your tank and if you are lucky you will find a large screw cap, look inside with a torch.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We were with FUNsters who had just that problem. It was simply the plug, in the plug hole at the bottom of the tank had eased out of place. Find your tank and if you are lucky you will find a large screw cap, look inside with a torch.
On this model you can't get at the water tank from inside. Fully fitted floor covering - crazy I know. I've contacted Autotrail for advice.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There could be an automatic dump valve

No Auto dump on the Autotrails, just manual...
Seem's like thats been eleiminated but even a small drip over time can loose a lot. The valve can get weekened with age or clogged with grit, so unless it's been changed or taken off and cleaned it could still be an issue.
The fresh tank is just suspended under the floor between the chassis...

You need someone under the van and having a check on all the pipework, as you have said, water does run and so may not be coming from where you actually see the dripping..

Good luck.. Find a "skinny" bloke and slide him under the van (y)

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
No Auto dump on the Autotrails, just manual...

You need someone under the van and having a check on all the pipework, as you have said, water does run and so may not be coming from where you actually see the dripping..

Good luck.. Find a "skinny" bloke and slide him under the van (y)
Can't see a skinny bloke anywhere. Us motorhomers obviously enjoy our food too much. I'm guessing that it doesn't need to be a motorhome repairer though. Maybe a local general repair garage could do it. if only we spoke Portuguese. Google translate to the rescue.
Thanks for your help all.
Mags

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am so sorry I can't be of any help in this matter. I don't know any repairers of anything in that area and I don't know anything about that motorhome.

I suspect the answer might lie with the brother of the holidaying campsite owner.

At least he will know the local handy men surely?

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I am so sorry I can't be of any help in this matter. I don't know any repairers of anything in that area and I don't know anything about that motorhome.

I suspect the answer might lie with the brother of the holidaying campsite owner.

At least he will know the local handy men surely?

JJ :cool:
Thanks JJ. I've asked the guy here and he doesn't know anything about the area. Not to worry, we'll make our way back to the Algarve and Camperserve tomorrow.
Mags

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
just ask someone to have a look under your van to see where the leak is -must be some able bodied person at your campsite?
Most people would be willing to help-especially 2 ladies in distress

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Sorry can't help,won't be back to the Alentejo before next week.
Could have had a look for you.
Can't think of anywhere in the Beja area where we live,if you are nearer to Lisbon there will surely be some dealers there.
Sorry can't be of more help.Good luck.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
just ask someone to have a look under your van to see where the leak is -must be some able bodied person at your campsite?
Most people would be willing to help-especially 2 ladies in distress
We can see the leak now. It's a pipe coming our of, or going in to, the fresh water tank. We've decided to take it to Camperserve in the Algarve and get a proper fix. This site has a lot of people just rolling in for the night on their way south - no-one stands still long enough to appeal to. We'll get it properly looked at then we can relax. Thanks for the thoughts.
Mags

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
At least you know where the leak is and must be the pipe that feeds the rest of the system -it doesn't sound to be that serious although appreciate its annoying and inconvenient-shouldn't be that difficult a fix and will probably cost you more in diesel.
Best of luck

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
At least you know where the leak is and must be the pipe that feeds the rest of the system -it doesn't sound to be that serious although appreciate its annoying and inconvenient-shouldn't be that difficult a fix and will probably cost you more in diesel.
Best of luck

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Quick Update: Camperserv near Faro fixed the leak for us this afternoon in about 10 minutes. It was a bit of a weird experience as I'd emailed before we left and not heard anything but when I arrived the man on reception gave me an earful for not making an appointment. He then told me they probably wouldn't be able to fix it and we might need a new tank from the manufacturer. He sternly told me to go and wait in the van. I felt like a naughty child and at that moment we seriously considered just driving away, however a nice British mechanic came to the rescue and fixed it very quickly. Poor guy got drenched in the process but he did a great job. So thanks all for the advice and help and thank you Camperserv.
Mags

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back