need recomendation for a diesel engineer

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by SeanandJen, Jun 7, 2014.

1. SeanandJen

SeanandJen

Hi Funsters,
    I am going to look at a MH next week but being a newbie and not knowing anything about engines I wanted someone to have a look at the motorhome but especially the diesel engine can you recommend anyone in the Wolverhampton area. Thanks.

2. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

Sorry mate cant help there but just giving your post a bump to go to top of page again incase some one can help, and welcome to mhf Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

3. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

4. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

A tad far from you but I believe that Feathers in Halifax come well reccommended

5. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Sorry mate cant help even tho I live close to you

Do you have any details of vehicle incl Milage & sevice history ?

6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

What is so unusual about it that makes you want an "engineer" is there no service record. does it start and run without undue noise and smoke

7. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi and welcome SeanandJen :thumb: Both the AA and RAC do vehicle inspections -not sure if they do anything with the mh bit but they would do the engine/driving bits--I would go look at the van and if everything is ok and you are still unsure engine wise go on a test drive and take it to a local to seller garage and ask a mechanic to listen to engine for you -prob cost a fiver for him a drink :Wink:Find your own not one the seller says -:Wink:Like Tecno says you can hear most things and if you drive it and still unsure then get a AA type inspection done before buying There may be a funster local to the van that could meet and assist you ?
    terry

8. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i dont buy any vans without checking the engine for fault codes if the service record looks wrong. fortunately i have my own code reader and have enough knowledge to know what I am looking at. anyone can buy a cheap code reader off ebay and then look up any fault codes using google

if you are concerned in any way about the mechanicals and need help, i suggest you take a local mechanic with you. preferably the one that you will have look after your investment. Take a look yourself first and if you want to move forward, then pay the mechanic to look it over. if the seller wont allow this walk away

• Like Like x 1
  9. SeanandJen

SeanandJen

Thanks for all the information funsters:Smile: