Need positive vibes (1 Viewer)

petrab

Free Member
Nov 11, 2009
Kent
Funster No
Hi, long time no post!

Having a nightmare of a time trying to get going.....my husband & I have already bought a Mercedes 208D coachbuilt and I don't like it!!

We are planning trip of lifetime by travelling Europe for a whole year & rent out the house. We are new to motorhomes and bought one mid January after 6 months of looking & worrying we wouldn't find 'the one'. Unfortunately, it is very nice but not the one.

We are now trying to sell on ebay and have found another. It's older (over 20yrs old) a Hymer S660, automatic, pas & marine flushing toilet. As I am the main driver thought it would be better for me as the one we have has no pas. Also, more room with pull down bed rather than me getting claustraphobic in the overhead cab one we have.

Does anyone have any comments, as I feel so bad & panicking that I won't be able to get it all sorted out?

Thanks
Petrab

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Don't worry....

Layout is everything....

You will find the right one....I don't know anyone who has got it right first time...

To live in one for a year requires it to be "right"....I like old...Just make sure you carry serviceable spares and get it fully serviced and checked before you leave.

Good luck in your travels and "Happy Trails"

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Dont panic everyone learns by their mistakes and experience, it usually takes around 3 attempts before you find the perfect one for you according to past posts re new motorhomes. Research is paramount as to what would suit or is livable with for most people. Make your list, make sure it has what you want and that the space is best used, not only of the camper part but also from the drivers prepective.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Don't know if there is such a thing as the perfect motorhome / layout. We have just changed from what we thought was the "one" for us. The new van ticks a lot of the boxes, but we will have to make allowances in other areas. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a Hymer 660S (22 years old) and it is a wonderful machine... it brings me great joy not to forget comfort too. Just don't be in a hurry to get anywhere!!

I am sure it will all work out for you...

JJ

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We are on our 3rd MHome in 2 years and this one is the "one for us". :thumb:

(Mind you - so were the other two!)::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
IMO the 660 is one of the best layouts for its size,thats why they have always been so popular.
Capable of intergalactic milages,and with the Merc engine,very reliable.
Very well built camper,but as JJ says...dont be in a hurry.
Good luck with your travels,stop worying and enjoy what your doing.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I don't think there is a perfect MH.

Over the years we have changed approx every 2 years, and always to the perfect MH, but then you find your needs change, and what was perfect isn't any longer.

My advice find what suits at the time and make the most of it while you can, and it does all you want you are bound to change your opinion later as your circumstances change.

Hope you find what you want, and just use and enjoy it.

Dave :thumb:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi if that is the 660S I looked at in Brighton, beware everytime I asked if something worked I was told sorry we never use that so no idea. Check everything especially the weight as although quoted as 3.500kg it is over and will need uprating. Especially if you are going to fulltime. I assume your licence will cover you for driving over 3.5t.
the original Generator is missing. It looks nice though and we would have bought it but the guy was funny about being paid in anything but cash. Made me worry a bit. It was also untaxed so no opportunity for a test drive. On paper it looks excellent though.
My beast is for sale, see avatar.At £6k a steal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Unfortunately, it is very nice but not the one.
Thanks
Petrab

That's because there is no such motorhome.

We all say "want that bit" "want that bit" "want that bit" "want that bit" "want that bit".

But when you add the bits together it weighs 23 tonnes, does 2mpg and won't go under bridges.

You'd better get used to the idea of compromise.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi, long time no post!

Having a nightmare of a time trying to get going.....my husband & I have already bought a Mercedes 208D coachbuilt and I don't like it!!

We are planning trip of lifetime by travelling Europe for a whole year & rent out the house. We are new to motorhomes and bought one mid January after 6 months of looking & worrying we wouldn't find 'the one'. Unfortunately, it is very nice but not the one.

We are now trying to sell on ebay and have found another. It's older (over 20yrs old) a Hymer S660, automatic, pas & marine flushing toilet. As I am the main driver thought it would be better for me as the one we have has no pas. Also, more room with pull down bed rather than me getting claustraphobic in the overhead cab one we have.

Does anyone have any comments, as I feel so bad & panicking that I won't be able to get it all sorted out?

Thanks
Petrab

Hi,

Why don't you just use the present one for a bit and see if you grow to love it, OK no power steering can be a pain parking but once its moving you will be OK.

You spent six months looking!

Chopping and changing vans can be traumatic and expensive.

Just my thoughts.

Peter

Upvote 0

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Dont worry about it all, we spent most of last year looking and sitting in them and trying them out. Week after week we would go further and further afield,and in the first few months, what we thought we wanted changed as we went along. We were convinced we would never find the one for us and I think at one stage I even threatened to knit one lol:Smile:, or at least make one up from a van. That would have taken so long and we were ready ish to go.
We saw our RV and hubby wasnt terribly keen on it as it was fairly small but the layout had everything and I loved it. I felt that being a smallish one, I could drive it but to be honest I havent yet (its the sticky out mirrors and the fear of taking some pedestrians bonce off) I will drive it soon though.
I wish it had a few other things on it like a safari room or awning etc but on the whole I am very happy with it.
The season is picking up very quickly and Im sure you will sell yours in no time. There are a lot of motorhomes out there and like Desco says I dont think there is the perfect one. But thats half the fun, in persuit of it I think. If we get fed up of this or I cant get on driving her we may change her for something else but so far she ticks all the boxes for what we need. Good luck with it all and we are hoping you get it sorted soon.:thumb:

Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Peter has beaten me to the draw - as ever - as I was going to suggest you pop over the border and go down to Johns Cross simply for a chat. Be upfront and say this, it's only fair to them.

We did just that, the meeting lasted a very long time, over two hours, and focussed our minds. No-one tried to sell us anything... but we're very happy with our choice. It may have been beginners' luck, but in the light of what we learned there, we later bought from an unsuccessful e-bay seller.

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Nothing wrong with that - vans are so difficult to find a 'right' one - and by then you often outgrow the one you have - its' an ongoing thing....you never know what is perfect until you see someone elses! lol!

Here is a little pilote for sale for 8k

http://www.motorhomemarket.co.uk/detail.php?id=1540

Just found that on the search engine online. 66,000 miles so fairly low mileage.Right hand drive, so that is a bonus!

Best thing to do, is look at a few of these, talk to owners on here and deecide what is easier for you. Pilotes' main bonus i suppose, being you are going to europe is that it is peugeot talbot based, so spares easy to get.

Upvote 0

gogocrosby

Free Member
Apr 2, 2009
Morpeth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
12 years
We usually change van every 2 to 3 years the van before our current one lasted us six months and after paying £600 for a tow bar and a reconditioned gearbox we admitted to each other that we didn't like it. we were lucky to offload it to someone else .If only we had been more honest with ourselves and got shot of it as soon as we realized our mistake it would have saved us an additional £1000.
Wish you luck in your adventure. That Pilote looks very good for the money.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back