Neat Little Electric Scooter - ET Smart (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Before anyone asks we have no connection with this product or the seller :p but thought it looked like a neat design of small electric scooter so may be of interest to some Funsters who like gadgets!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Looks nice but where would one ride it? I don't think it is street legal in the UK is it? Not without tax & insurance anyway.
I have visions of Funsters whizzing around big campsites in Benidorm in the winter months :cycle: but don't know so will message seller & see what they say :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Found a manufacturer link here

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have visions of Funsters whizzing around big campsites in Benidorm in the winter months :cycle: but don't know so will message seller & see what they say :)

The ad says it has CE approval, but I can't see hat given that it is twist and go

Twist and go so not street legal anywhere in the EU

Shame really because it looks like fun.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Plastic/abs body yet still weighs in at 50kg

My new conventional leccy bike weights 24kg including the battery and luggage rack.

But then, with a stated max load of just under 1/2 ton it needs to be heavy.
Why 1/2 ton....theres nowhere to put that much weight on it.

Also states a 48v motor yet only a 36v battery !

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
This looks neat too - will be a real shame (for those that can afford this!) if this gadget isn't viable :(

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just had reply from eBay seller but don't shoot the messenger :imoutahere::)
"Common sense prevails here. Technically nothing with two wheels and fully electric is road legal however I have put this in front of a few bobbies and they love it. In all cases, they have asked me what the legal stance is and again it is at their discretion if they want to give you an on the spot fine but again highly unlikely unless you are causing a disturbance or being a menace. Their stance on it seems to be, if you are not being a public nuisance then they can't see a problem. I am transparent about this fact and you use the scooter at your own discretion. Please remember these bikes are speed restricted to 12mph so they are extremely safe to ride and don't pose an immediate risk or problem to other road users. When De-restricted they can achieve 18mph but again nothing like a moped. Currently the Home Office are unable to categorise this type of product which is why they say if it's not an EPAC (electric pedal assist cycle which conforms to current legislation, then it's illegal. 50% of electric bicycles are illegal as most exceed the stated 15mph. This is a micro ride on scooter weighing only 18kgs and also foldable so it's ideal for the camp site, marina and making short runs on the cycle or tow paths.

Hope this info is useful.

Best Regards,
Barney"

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
o_O Says 18kg on eBay listing & manufacturer website.

On the manufacturer website it says 18kg in the main description then if you click on Additional Info it says 50kg :confused:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just had reply from eBay seller but don't shoot the messenger :imoutahere::)
"Common sense prevails here. Technically nothing with two wheels and fully electric is road legal however I have put this in front of a few bobbies and they love it. In all cases, they have asked me what the legal stance is and again it is at their discretion if they want to give you an on the spot fine but again highly unlikely unless you are causing a disturbance or being a menace. Their stance on it seems to be, if you are not being a public nuisance then they can't see a problem. I am transparent about this fact and you use the scooter at your own discretion. Please remember these bikes are speed restricted to 12mph so they are extremely safe to ride and don't pose an immediate risk or problem to other road users. When De-restricted they can achieve 18mph but again nothing like a moped. Currently the Home Office are unable to categorise this type of product which is why they say if it's not an EPAC (electric pedal assist cycle which conforms to current legislation, then it's illegal. 50% of electric bicycles are illegal as most exceed the stated 15mph. This is a micro ride on scooter weighing only 18kgs and also foldable so it's ideal for the camp site, marina and making short runs on the cycle or tow paths.

Hope this info is useful.

Best Regards,
Barney"
i.e, it's totally illegal for use on roads but I want to sell as many as I can so I'll make up any stories I can to convince purchasers they can get away with it :D

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Barney has messaged to confirm that it is definitely 18kg :) - he rides one around all the time - presumably in Bath as that's where the listing shows his location.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Wheels that size, it's sooner rather than later before it bites you.

Looks great fun though.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
The ad says it has CE approval, but I can't see hat given that it is twist and go

I think CE type approval is with regard to inherent products design & safety.
I don't think it has any direct relevance to when or where it may be used in different EU countries - as each have their own domestic road traffic laws.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think CE type approval is with regard to inherent products design & safety.
I don't think it has any direct relevance to when or where it may be used in different EU countries - as each have their own domestic road traffic laws.
EU rules state pedal assist, max assisted speed of 15.5mph, unassisted throttle control max speed 4mph.
Those are EU wide rules, not country specific rules.

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

Ooops, just reread your opening line...re: CE.
I misread as EU.

Last edited:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Yes. QED.
As I mentioned, CE standards are I believe nothing to do with specific country or EU wide road usage regulations.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back